The Sword (a modern attempt at the classic Sabbath sound)

SoundMaster

Jan 20, 2002
"the flower & willow world"
Visit site
Has anyone heard of a new band named "The Sword"? They've released their debut earlier this year (I forget it's title).

I heard a track on a sampler of new bands that accompanied last month's issue of Classic Rock Magazine and it knocked my friggin' socks off. SO, I finally purchased said debut today (but have yet to listen).

The one track I did hear is honestly the closest to classic Sabbath that I've ever heard (and there have been tons of bands who've attempted to ape that sound). While the vocalist is not an Ozzy clone, he is close.
But, the sound/production is clearly old school...perhaps entirely analog. The riffs (that I've heard) could have been penned by Iommi circa 1971!!!

Anyone hear ever hear their music?

As an aside, I've recently read about two other new bands who have really tried to go retro and borrow heavily from that classic Sabbath sound: Withcraft and Wolfmother. I've heard some Wolfmother samples and wasn't impressed. Anyone ever hear of either of these bands?

I downloaded their album and found it too stoner for my taste (like Witchcraft), so I pass on them. I like my doom more in the vein of Candlemass or Solitude Aeturnus.

I love 'The Sword'. I first heard them about 6 months before they started recording their debut and I loved the few tracks they had available online, and the album did not dissapoint. Not a huge fan of the Stoner genre but I think these guys rock the oldschool vibe quite hard.:headbang:

Evil? said:
I love 'The Sword'. I first heard them about 6 months before they started recording their debut and I loved the few tracks they had available online, and the album did not dissapoint. Not a huge fan of the Stoner genre but I think these guys rock the oldschool vibe quite hard.:headbang:

I've not been impressed by what I've heard of the stoner genre, but, to my ears, this band is more classic 70s Sabbath than it is 80s-90s stoner.

Have listened to the album a few times....great stuff.

The Sword is good.....and I actually liked Wolfmother, but haven't bought it (but probably will). I like the retro stuff, generally speaking; QOTSA, some of the Doom bands, and a few things here and there. Plus, I've always been a sucker for the Black Crowes. Anyway, you might give Wolfmother another shot, but yeah, the Sword is cool.

Necuratul said:
Witchcraft is 70s Pentagram worship.

I like Pentagram but doesn't drive me crazy. I can add World Below, Well Of Souls, Thunderstorm, Forsaken and Doomshine to the list

Necuratul said:
:kickass:

I'll have to look into the other two you mentioned, as I've never heard them.

I will check also some (or all) of the ones you mentioned, I'm always hunting for good doom :headbang:

NP: Sabaton - 'Nuclear Attack'