contemporary bands with a retro 70s or 80s vibe

SoundMaster

Jan 20, 2002
"the flower & willow world"
Visit site
Hi all,
In recent weeks, I've discovered some contemporary bands that are a true throwback to the hard rock of the 70s and/or the 80s.
Can anyone recommend any similar, current bands to the ones listed below?

Beautiful Creatures - a true marriage of 80s and 90s. Imagine a mix of LA Guns and Godsmack. Vocals are by the guy from Bang Tango. Truly a marriage of late 80s sleeze/glam and 90s post grunge. Sounds odd but it works!

Glyder - awesome new Irish band that has the twin guitar, ultra-melody of Thin Lizzy. Debut released earlier this year. www.myspace.com/glyder

The Answer - another new awesome Irish band. Hard to describe the sound....I guess I'd say Free, 70s Aerosmith, some Zeppelin, and perhaps a touch of the Cult? Anyway, check out the awesome debut (also released in 2006).

Winterville - a mix of Led Zep/Deep Purple and 90s grunge (with more emphasis on the Zep/Purp. Awesome debut names Everything In Moderation released in 2005. www.myspace.com/winterville

Black Stone Cherry - cool American band....a mix of Skynard / Soundgarden / and early 70s hard rock. Kick-ass debut released in 2006!

Of course, there's "Sword" with it's total Sabbath thing and "Wolfmother" which has a bit of Sabbath mixed with a contemporary rock vibe....really solid songwriting.

Any one know of cool, new bands?

Hardcore Superstar from Sweden are a modern sleaze hard rock band who have a great 80s vibe...

Gotta plug the band I'm in (The Deadthings) here as well, I'd say the band we probably sound closest to is Pretty Boy Floyd, mixed with bits of Twisted Sister (the shout choruses), Poison (first album), Ratt, Alice Cooper (the horror themes) and the early 90s sleaze stuff like Alleycat Scratch, Erotic Suicide, Ana Black etc.

Zan Clan with the original Shotgun Messiah singer, they pretty much sound like the first Shotgun Messiah album (which if you're unfamiliar, is top notch late 80s sleaze/glam from Sweden with virtuoso style guitars thrown in).

Brother Firetribe! My friend got me onto these guys recently, it's the guitarist from Nightwish's new side project and it's full blown 80s arena AOR - massive choruses, big keyboards, huge drums, awesome guitar playing - and with an awesome sounding production too (and still has those big Euro metal guitars).

And we all know Wig Wam now after Eurovision last year... Both their albums are unreal and similar to Brother Firetribe, big over the top 80s arena hard rock.

No, they don't have it in stock. It's a 4-6 week ship time, which is just as bad as trying to order from overseas.

Have you ever tried Amazon's "New and Used"? There are a score of sellers who sell NEW copies. Two of the more popular stores I use are both listed as sellars of the Glyder disc (Caiman - out of Florida; and CDZone out of England). Both ship the items in less than a week. Caiman is also great for it's CHEAP prices. Most 70s/80s CDs can be purchased new for less than $10.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list..._bbs_sr_1/104-9579150-4981569?ie=UTF8&s=music

The beauty of shopping this way is that you pay AMAZON and NOT these sellars. These people NEVER get your credit info. Amazon takes your payment and then reimburses these sellars.

You should give it a try.

hint: when using Caiman, always opt for the long-term shipping option (I believe it says 4-14 days). In reality, you'll get it in less than a week and it's cheaper than express delivery!!!

Sometimes I used the Amazon re-sellers, but only when I'm desperate. And here's why: Caimon.

For about a year I ordered alot from that company and always got my cds in a timely manner. Then, all of a sudden they started botching my orders. I would order a cd and then sit there waiting and waiting for it to arrive. Finally, I contact Claire, their customer service rep, and ask where my order is. "We didn't have it in stock, it's on back order," she says. To which I reply, "#1, why is it listed on Amazon if you don't have it in stock, and #2 why didn't you contact me when the item was backordered so I know there is a delay"? She didn't have a satisfactory for me (something like "we don't have enough manpower to email every person each time an item is back ordered). And this happened 3 times out of four orders! Finally, I just cancelled my last order and told them I wouldn't be shopping at their store anymore because of shoddy communication with their customers.

I've had similar issues with other re-sellers, so I don't use them much. When Amazon says something is in stock, IT'S IN STOCK. If it gets backordered for some bizarre reason, they actually EMAIL you and TELL YOU. My pet peeve is sitting around waiting weeks for a cd to arrive. I won't do it. Therefor I am very selective about who I purchase from.

I'm checking download sites and ebay to see if I can find it elsewhere right now.

Definitely have to second Wicked Minds ~ a wicked mix of Deep Purple and Uriah Heep that just rocks!!! Siena Root ~ is a killer 70's vibe band w/ a hot female vocalist and a hard rockin' psychedelic Zeppelin vibe!! Northwinds ~
A killer 70s Sabbath , Celtic and Progressive old school vibe ,great band!!
Areknames is just a killer 70's prog vibe band. Sort of a mix of early Yes w/
doom/stoner 70's metal. All these bands kill. :heh:

Definitely have to second Wicked Minds ~ a wicked mix of Deep Purple and Uriah Heep that just rocks!!! Siena Root ~ is a killer 70's vibe band w/ a hot female vocalist and a hard rockin' psychedelic Zeppelin vibe!! Northwinds ~
A killer 70s Sabbath , Celtic and Progressive old school vibe ,great band!!
Areknames is just a killer 70's prog vibe band. Sort of a mix of early Yes w/
doom/stoner 70's metal. All these bands kill. :heh:

That's some good advice.

Welcome to UMOS EarthDog. :) :headbang: