Canadian metal bands from the 80s

Dec 3, 2004
Arizona, USA
www.ryanseek.com
While I was looking through my cassettes this morning compiling the list for the NWOBHM thread, I found a TON of killer metal bands from Canada. So, tell me, what Canadian metal bands from the 80s do you have in your collection?

For me:

Budgie (okay, from the 70s, but had to include them)
Rush ( of course)
April Wine (still rocked in 1980 but went pop soon after)
Triumph! Man they used to rock out before they went pop too.
Helix - No Rest for the Wicked
Coney Hatch (rocked out when they weren't trying to sound like Survivor)
Sword - Metalized and Sweet Dreams
Anvil - Forged in Fire, Metal on Metal
White Wolf - Standing Alone
Lee Aaron - Metal Queen! (with nice tits)
Headpins - Turn it LOUD!
Kick Axe - Vices, Welcome to the Club (new one has some good tunes on it too)
Killer Dwarfs (their debut album was sooo cool)
Wrabit (a little AOR, but still rocked)

Okay, who did I miss?

Ermmm, you forgot Exciter!!!! Clammy, the current bass player of Exciter is a regular here, so don't forget them any more in future :loco:
We also got a Piledriver member hanging around here from Canada ...
some more; Sacred Blade, Voivod & Slaughter .

Wicked Child said:
Alice In Hell was a great fuckin' album! Their other albums on the other hand......:erk:

I really dig Never Neverland and especially Set The World On Fire, why do you dislike them? They're not far apart from Alice style, except for a few STWOF songs. As for the later works, I'm not as much into them.

Besides all the cool bands mentioned I need to bring the attention on Black Knight one of the most underrated metal acts of all time their only album "Master Of Disaster" (check my avatar sig) is a masterpiece of classic metal.
They had both a male and a female vocalist in their short career, but their voices were so akin that the album and the bonus tracks in it are not clashing at all. Songs like 'Master Of Disaster', 'Black Knight', 'Day Of The Wizard' and the amazing 'Battlefield'makes this album a genuine gem.
Sadly media and labels refused to recognize the metalness of a female lead singer and the band never fot their deserved break.

Their album was reissued as limited copy edition a few years ago, if you can get one do it!

SickBoy said:
I really dig Never Neverland and especially Set The World On Fire, why do you dislike them? They're not far apart from Alice style, except for a few STWOF songs. As for the later works, I'm not as much into them.
First off, i don't like the singer much. I think, though he has more range than Randy Rampage, his voice was thinner and not as much punch. His voice bores me, in other words. Also, i think overall, the riffs were weak and watered down. Just not as strong as the ones in Alice In Hell. Then, he starts experimenting with the sound, do we have to talk about "Remains"? I dunno, i just get the feeling that Jeff started getting lazy. NONE of the post Alice albums grab me. I just don't feel anything. And I absolutely HATE Remains and All For You. Fucking hate them.

Voi Vod's new record I like (old stuff too, but just saying). Also, I liked Exciter a lot up through Long Live The Loud. Lastly, somebody mentioned Triumph, and I would still say that Allied Forces is one of my, oh, at least top 20 records. I used to wear it out back in the day.

You guys know your Canuck metal lol

I forgot a few of those bands eg. Wrabit (the guitar player John Albani played with Lee Aaron)
White Wolf (great band)

Here are a few other:

Fist - Fleet Street
Reckless - Metal Heart (the drummer Steve Lederman play in Piledriver with us now,the sickest drummer I've ever seen!) Check out this site for a hoot http://www.angelfire.com/myband/reckless/

Rapid Tears - A great local Toronto band "Back in the day"
Slaughter - not to be confused with the "fly to the angels" band
Max Webster - Not Metal , but one of my fave Canadian bands
Witchkiller - Day Of The Saxons -The singer from this band also played with Reckless
and now heads Pyrotek. here is a old clip ( if anyone wants any music by any of these bands,PM me)
http://www.canoe.ca/CNEWSFeatures9908/24_pyro.html

I think that is it haha...well Celine Dion,Avril,Alannis!!! Hey don't blame me

Trans-Siberian Outcast

How did you hear of these bands?

------------------------------------

Just went to the Trans-Siberian Show here in Toronto a few weeks ago and was blown away AGAIN

Cheers

Troy

Troyanasy said:
You guys know your Canuck metal lol

I forgot a few of those bands eg. Wrabit (the guitar player John Albani played with Lee Aaron)
White Wolf (great band)

Here are a few other:

Fist - Fleet Street
Reckless - Metal Heart (the drummer Steve Lederman play in Piledriver with us now,the sickest drummer I've ever seen!) Check out this site for a hoot http://www.angelfire.com/myband/reckless/

Rapid Tears - A great local Toronto band "Back in the day"
Slaughter - not to be confused with the "fly to the angels" band
Max Webster - Not Metal , but one of my fave Canadian bands
Witchkiller - Day Of The Saxons -The singer from this band also played with Reckless
and now heads Pyrotek. here is a old clip ( if anyone wants any music by any of these bands,PM me)
http://www.canoe.ca/CNEWSFeatures9908/24_pyro.html

I think that is it haha...well Celine Dion,Avril,Alannis!!! Hey don't blame me

Trans-Siberian Outcast

How did you hear of these bands?

------------------------------------

Just went to the Trans-Siberian Show here in Toronto a few weeks ago and was blown away AGAIN

Cheers

Troy

Yeah, I knew I'd blow some dust off of old memories mentioning bands like Wrabit and White Wolf. I still have Standing Alone on cassette, in pretty decent shape, but my Wrabit cassettes all bit the dust (the quality of them pretty much sucked even when they were new).

Oh, and Witchkiller - Day of the Saxons. I just listened to that about a month ago. I was digging through some old cassettes to listen to in my truck (only cassette player I have left) and found a recording of Witchkiller that a friend of mine recorded for me. Good stuff!

As for how I heard of these bands, I was totally into underground metal back in the early 80s. Also, I lived in Montana and Idaho, so alot of those bands toured through my neck of the woods and local radio stations played alot of their music. Especially in Montana, they are very Canadian-friendly because Canucks are a huge part of the incoming tourist dollars.

I'm going to TSO this friday in Tucson. I can't wait to be blown away! :headbang:

Wicked Child said:
Can't forget the kick ass candian thrash bands Razor, Sacrifice and Piledriver!"We're the metal inquisition... We sentence you to death... by guillotine! "

SERIOUSLY. That list was so lacking, even if it was only the tapes he found..

Troyanasy said:
Here are a few other:

Fist - Fleet Street
Those are the guys who sang 'Street Fighting Heroes'? Because that songs rocks!

Wyvern said:
Those are the guys who sang 'Street Fighting Heroes'? Because that songs rocks!

Fleet Street is the only FIST album I've heard and it has some killer songs on it (especially the hilarious title track!). I looked it up and you are correct, Wyvern. Street Fighting Heroes was on their '83 album "In The Red". That's the album right after Fleet Street in '81.

I always thought this band was British, probably because of the Sherlock Holmes skit during the song Fleet Street. Came out the same time as the NWOBHM, sounded like NWOBHM, I thought it was until this recent discussion about NWOBHM and Canadian metal bands and I did some research (and got corrected on another thread).

Also, IF there aren't two FIST bands out there, they have a new album coming out soon. I listened to some song samples a few weeks ago on melodicrock.com. Didn't sound anything like the Fleet Street-era band, so not sure if it's the same band or not. Song samples sounded okay, definitely old school, but nothing there that really grabbed me.

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
While I was looking through my cassettes this morning compiling the list for the NWOBHM thread, I found a TON of killer metal bands from Canada. So, tell me, what Canadian metal bands from the 80s do you have in your collection?

For me:

Budgie (okay, from the 70s, but had to include them)
A little mistake here. Budgie are from Wales.

since your talking about thrash metal.....
Does anyone know why Annihilator got rid of the singer from Carnival Diablos?
Or what happened Hallows Eve, i know who they and heard some of their music....just dont know a thing about them or their albums.