Bands that were considered "Metal" back in the day.

SickBoy said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't such cock-rock bands considered metal primarily by media such as MTV?

Nope, in the 80s people really saw them as being on the commercial end of the metal spectrum. Only later in the 90s was metal as narrowly defined as we do today.

SickBoy said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't such cock-rock bands considered metal primarily by media such as MTV?

I would have to agree with Sickboy (did you name yourself after the Social Distortion song? just wondering.. great band and album) ... Glam bands being considered metal back in the day was a media creation.. from MTV to Hit Parader to Creem magazines etc... but it is all a matter of opinion and i'm just stating what i saw back then and perceived.. and i stick by it... :yuk: ... after all you don't see MTV putting Glam bands on Headbangers Ball the new version so obviously they put what they perceive is metal for it's time.. they try to create the "scene" ... in another 10 years or so the bands on Headbangers Ball probably wont be played by anymore by MTV because they dont consider it metal... o_O btw i read a bulletin board in the GMD forum where some so called "metal" fans considered Living Colour a Black Metal band and such.. they even said Fishbone was one etc.. etc.. lol ... just found it funny... :confused:

Unfaithfully Metalhead said:
so called "metal" fans considered Living Colour a Black Metal band and such.. they even said Fishbone was one etc.. etc.. lol ... just found it funny... :confused:

Oh that's an old joke in forums. Living Colour is the true BLACK metal band :tickled:

As for glam, well I may not like it, but I find a common base with metal more than to ordinary pop (Molester Jackson, Moronna, Beyondyech, Scooby Dog Snoopy, Shitney Smears, etc) . Meaning that if you pick Poison, Ratt, Motley Crue, Warrant, Guns N Roses, Stryper, Bullet Boys, etc and you have to compare with:

1. Deep Purple, AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, Kiss, Nazareth
  2. Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Motorhead, Iron Maiden, Scorpions, Thin Lizzy
  3. Obituary, Marduk, Reverend Bizarre, Holy Moses, CoB
  4. Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains
  5. Slipknot, System Of A Down, Korn, Rage Against The Machine
Which one you think will be more akin?

Wyvern said:
Oh that's an old joke in forums. Living Colour is the true BLACK metal band :tickled:

As for glam, well I may not like it, but I find a common base with metal more than to ordinary pop (Molester Jackson, Moronna, Beyondyech, Scooby Dog Snoopy, Shitney Smears, etc) . Meaning that if you pick Poison, Ratt, Motley Crue, Warrant, Guns N Roses, Stryper, Bullet Boys, etc and you have to compare with:

1. Deep Purple, AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, Kiss, Nazareth
  2. Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Motorhead, Iron Maiden, Scorpions, Thin Lizzy
  3. Obituary, Marduk, Reverend Bizarre, Holy Moses, CoB
  4. Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains
  5. Slipknot, System Of A Down, Korn, Rage Against The Machine
Which one you think will be more akin?

OUCH!... you hurtin' my head Wyv!

If I understand what your getting at I would say they are more closely related musically genre wise o_O to the bands listed in #1 and #2 but one of the things about glam bands that attract their fans is the bands image. Looking at it from that perspective they obviously get more inspiraton from bands that are focused on the image and showmanship and the bands in your list that really focus on that are KISS and Slipknot.

Rokk

Hawk said:
Nope, in the 80s people really saw them as being on the commercial end of the metal spectrum. Only later in the 90s was metal as narrowly defined as we do today.

Funny, I always thought that they were the exact reason for coining the "true metal" phrase and I remember the thrash scene looking down on the "L.A. pussies" ;)

SickBoy said:
Funny, I always thought that they were the exact reason for coining the "true metal" phrase and I remember the thrash scene looking down on the "L.A. pussies" ;)

True but did the thrash scene looked down or payed any attention to Duran Duran? No they did not. You did not hear Paul Baloff say thrash Duran Duran fans! Why? Because Duran Duran was not perceived as being part of the metal genre!

Hey, you may believe what you want. I am just telling it like it was back then.

Believe it or not its up to you.

I am a young one too. 19 years old but I love and know my metal very well.

I still consider the first two Bon Jovi albums to be metal. Obviously they are a hard rock band but the self titled and 7800 Degrees albums have that crunch to them and some amazing heavy guitar work. I believe they even did some dates with Judas Priest on the 7800 tour.

Also the first two Europe albums ARE heavy metal. The self titled and Wings of Tomorrow are very influential to the power metal scene. Alot of people who make fun of Europe these days and call them cheesy cock rock, I ask them if they have heard the first two albums. When they say no I usually play them "In The Future To Come", "Seven Doors Hotel", and "Scream of Anger" and they insert foot in mouth. Great stuff.

Also Blue Oyster Cult and UFO = very metal. I saw those two bands share the same bill in NJ last September. Awesome stuff.