MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
Even though I have been listening to and buying Metal since the mid 80s, I continuously come across bands I never knew of from back in the day. Some I had heard of but never listened to, others I completely knew nothing about.

Only in the last year have I gotten into vinyl (kill me now, too much out there!), so I've started by collecting a lot of my fav bands from the 80s, or classic 80s stuff in general.

I just got a shipment in with mostly stuff I had never herd nor heard about. I love it!

Bands were:

Boss - Step On It
Siren - Financial Suicide
Joined Forces - Show & Tell
Pierce - S/T and II
Spys - S/T, Behind Enemy Lines

I have more I am watching - almost feels like reliving the excitement from long ago :)

What are some of the bands some of you have come across that fit into this scenario?

Reactions: TheMick
Not as old, but just happened to me.

Steel Horse - "Wild Power" (2009): band from Spain I never heard about and they kick ass with great traditional metal, 80's drenched, as good as Night Demon (USA) or Axxion (CAN).

Also some bands I recently started to like and never heard before in my life:

Nigromante - "Black Magic Night" (2013): another band from Spain, also very 80's infused but more ala Running Wild.
Blackholicus - "Megaforte" (2009): a mix of prog and traditional, with both instrumental and female fronted sung tunes, from USA.
Alliance - "Stand In My Way" (2009): a mix of prog and thrash from a one man project, from USA.
I Compagni Di Baal - "I Compagni Di Baal" (2012): I bought this Italian band album by mistake looking for another band with an album by the same name. Excellent mix of prog, doom and rock sung in Italian.
Natur - "Head Of Death" (2012): heavy metal with slight doom/dark influences, from USA.
Atomik Destruktor - "Unnatural Disorder" (2015): excellent thrash from Portugal.

Bands I got over the years without any knowledge of what it was beforehand:

Imperium (NL), Iron Clad (BE), Killer Khan (US), Wicked Angel (CA), Made Of Iron (GR), Moon Of Steel (IT), Miles Beyond (US), Bone Shaker (US), Misery Inc. (FI), Northwinds (FR), Obstruction (HU), Ossian (HU), Ostrogoth (BE), Overlorde (US), Rival (US), Warning S.F. (US), Titanium Black (US), Salem's Wych (US), Ultimatum (CA), Savage Blade (CA), Serum (DE), Slammer (UK), Solaris (HU), Stygian Shore (US), Tarot (AU), The Coffinshakers (SE), Turbo (PL), Valkija (IT), Bakken (IE), Blöden-Wedd (CL), Chainsaw (NL), Chuch Of Misery (JP), Diphtheria (CY), Gross Reality (US), Final Stage (CA), Stimulans (HR), Fraise (SE), Hammerheart (SK), Hellcats (SI), Malediction (FR), Horrorscope (PL).

Reactions: MetalAges
I discovered a lot of NWOBHM bands when the mp3 craze hit, but in 2014 I took another look and discovered some more obscure ones such as:

Blackmayne
Chariot
Karrier
Millennium
Money
Ritual
Spartan Warrior

Before that I picked up some other recommendations like High Tension, Chateaux, Oz and Riot.

2 bands I only discovered in the last couple of years are the NY band Crisis (thanks to this forum), and Nocturnus.

Even though I have been listening to and buying Metal since the mid 80s, I continuously come across bands I never knew of from back in the day. Some I had heard of but never listened to, others I completely knew nothing about.

Only in the last year have I gotten into vinyl (kill me now, too much out there!), so I've started by collecting a lot of my fav bands from the 80s, or classic 80s stuff in general.

I just got a shipment in with mostly stuff I had never herd nor heard about. I love it!

Bands were:

Boss - Step On It
Siren - Financial Suicide
Joined Forces - Show & Tell
Pierce - S/T and II
Spys - S/T, Behind Enemy Lines

I have more I am watching - almost feels like reliving the excitement from long ago :)

What are some of the bands some of you have come across that fit into this scenario?
I agree. Those bands that got past your radar. That's the joy of metal. Discovering old bands that are new to you. I'm more into the 80s heavy metal, thrash or power metal. If anyone has some obscure bands from that era that I may like please clue me in. Thanx!

There's an old school band called 'Fist' and they're pretty good, not great, but just good. Here are some other obscure metal bands from the 80's to check out:

Hexx
Medieval
Tyton
Attacker
Warlord

Last edited:
Reactions: TheMick
I don't normally want to go "non-oldschool" but had it not been for a music festival I go to every year, I probably would not have been introduced to Tad Morose. They had a three disc run that was so good, I have to put them in this thread. Undead, Matters of the Dark and Modus Vivendi is their three releases I am speaking of. All three of them ripped my head off and then shit down my neck !! It is a combination of heavy American powermetal with European powermetal drums and backing vocals.

Bryant

To the original poster, my cousin Eddie (RIP) started that band Spys after he was kicked out of Foreigner. Foreigner did an interview on the Tonight Show and Eddie was asked some questions (he was just the bass player!) and I guess the top bill members of Foreigner felt he talked too much and he got the boot shortly after! The lead off track on the first Spys album, Desiree, charted back in the day. For those of your who like keyboard heavy AOR with some hard rock trimmings.