Bands you don't "get."

well i know im over simplifying(or im just a lazy bastard and dont want to type more lol).almost any new band.once in a blue moon something will come along i may like,but more often than not i dont get it and it's not for me.i usually listen to old releases because they kick my ass and even get better with age.for me personally it never gets old.thats not to say there aren't great bands out there just cause i don't dig em.

Darkthrone: I never understood what people see in Darkthrone. Sure, Transylvanian Hunger is an indispensible work of the black metal genre, and easily surpasses any other attempt at dark, extreme, poorly-produced metal from Norway. But it gets stale, and now Darkthrone seems to be reduced to a comedy act (courtesy of Fenriz). I guess im too sensitive about production, I've never listened to the original "I am the Black Wizards" all the way through, I prefer the version on "In the Nightside Eclipse".

Napalm Death: "Scum" was a pretty good release, but albums full of 20 or more 1 second songs loses my interest.

DecapatationCannibalCarcassSuffocationDeicideCunt: I'll take something more melodic when it comes to death metal. What do people see in these gore-obsessed (oh wait, I think that's CC) groups that think of themself as serious artists? Actually, I take back Carcass, who are pretty damn good.

Cool thread. Nice that we can discuss this without arguing. :)

My list includes alot of the bands already mantioned..

Nevermore
Megadeth
Dream Theatre
King Diamond
Man O War
...and a few others

I'd like to add:

Ayreon I loved LOVED the Star One album!! However I just don't get Ayreon. The music is kinda similar but different... don't know how else to put it.

Savatage I've tried and tried to understand the big deal about these guys but they come off as pure cheese to me (and not the good kind of cheese if you get me). :) Every once in a while one of you guys will mention them and I'll give them another listen but they just never click with me.

Like Carnut and Wyvern the vocals can make or break a band for me (I think my taste in music is most similar to them of all of the people on this board). I just don't "get" how anyone can listen to some one growl over music, usually killer music at that. If some one likes it that's cool, nothing against it, but I just don't understand it. :)

ikilluandlaugh said:
Darkthrone: I never understood what people see in Darkthrone. Sure, Transylvanian Hunger is an indispensible work of the black metal genre, and easily surpasses any other attempt at dark, extreme, poorly-produced metal from Norway. But it gets stale, and now Darkthrone seems to be reduced to a comedy act (courtesy of Fenriz). I guess im too sensitive about production, I've never listened to the original "I am the Black Wizards" all the way through, I prefer the version on "In the Nightside Eclipse".

Napalm Death: "Scum" was a pretty good release, but albums full of 20 or more 1 second songs loses my interest.

DecapatationCannibalCarcassSuffocationDeicideCunt: I'll take something more melodic when it comes to death metal. What do people see in these gore-obsessed (oh wait, I think that's CC) groups that think of themself as serious artists? Actually, I take back Carcass, who are pretty damn good.

I am the Black Wizards is Emperor and not Darkthrone... was written and recorded by Emperor... Music by Ishahn and Samoth... lyrics by Mortiis... unless im wrong but thats what it says for the credits...

Greeno said:
Cool thread. Nice that we can discuss this without arguing. :)

My list includes alot of the bands already mantioned..

Nevermore
Megadeth
Dream Theatre
King Diamond
Man O War
...and a few others

I'd like to add:

Ayreon I loved LOVED the Star One album!! However I just don't get Ayreon. The music is kinda similar but different... don't know how else to put it.

Savatage I've tried and tried to understand the big deal about these guys but they come off as pure cheese to me (and not the good kind of cheese if you get me). :) Every once in a while one of you guys will mention them and I'll give them another listen but they just never click with me.

Like Carnut and Wyvern the vocals can make or break a band for me (I think my taste in music is most similar to them of all of the people on this board). I just don't "get" how anyone can listen to some one growl over music, usually killer music at that. If some one likes it that's cool, nothing against it, but I just don't understand it. :)

It fits the music... Whether death metal, Black metal , doom metal etc... though a combination of clean and death/black vocals i find more my taste... ala Opeth and My Dying Bride... i guess it's a matter of preference...

very interesting topic..nice to see we are all being mature ........................so allow me to be the first!!!:tickled: j/k but for me the SCORPS ROCK MY SOUL

I cannot get into the "opera" stylings, Nightwish, Therion...I only enjoy a handful of female vox.

The Darkness- admit I bought the first one and first spin it was gone, too over the top, vox to me tooo overdone

Trivium/Avenged Sevenfold and others, whatever you call a lot of that genre metalcore, mallcore, I cannot keep up..... the music is great I enjoy it a lot but some of the mix, vox I just can't do, I keep trying but it just isn't hitting me..same holds for Arch Enemy I can't get into her singing.

old school stuff I never got into G-n-R, King Diamond/Mercyful Fate, Motorhead.

I have no complaint about those who don't like Nevermore, though I dig 'em alot. I've thought about this though, and I think they are just the opposite of Opeth, in that most people who don't like Opeth don't like the death vocals. With Nevermore I think (and have heard many say) that they don't like Warrel, but it's because he's NOT a death vocalist. Their music is so heavy that I think many who would normally listen to it are turned off by a crooner, to use a pretty strange word.

Anyway, I take no offense at either opinion (and like both bands), but that's an interesting juxtaposition!

Repined Bastard Nation said:
one band that i just cant get into is oddly pink floyd
i mean i've tried and tried to like their music but i just dont see why everyone likes them soo much

I appreciate a certain measure of Pink Floyd's stuff. I like the obvious ones like The Wall, and some of the older psychedelic stuff. Also The Final Cut, the sequal to the wall - I think I'm the only one who likes that. Still, I don't mind going on record as saying I think they are wildly overrated, generally speaking.

ElectricWiz said:
In the Better than the glory years category-

I'll probably get crucified for this, butI really do think that Brave New World at least matches the seminol Maiden stuff. Dance of Death not quite as much, but still vital.

Actually, I'm mostly in agreement with this. The recent two albums are brilliant, IMO....particularly DOD. But both sit nicley among the band's celebrated 80s catalog.

The only issue I've had with the recent Maiden output is that there really haven't been any of the barnstorming, fast-as-hell, highly harmonic ass-kickers (a la The Trooper, Aces High, Moonchild, Man on the Edge, etc.). Otherwise new millenium Maiden is just as awesome - if not moreso - than the classic 80s era.

ElectricWiz said:
I appreciate a certain measure of Pink Floyd's stuff. I like the obvious ones like The Wall, and some of the older psychedelic stuff. Also The Final Cut, the sequal to the wall - I think I'm the only one who likes that. Still, I don't mind going on record as saying I think they are wildly overrated, generally speaking.

I love Floyd.....every record from 1971's Meddle through 1977's Animals is without fault.
However, for as good as some of it is, most of the Wall is dull.

Love Floyd, but can easily agree that they ARE overrated.

Topping the list for me are two bands who aren't even metal. The Rolling Stones and Bruce Springsteen. I have struggled and struggled to find melody and enjoyment from either of these two artists, and have come up empty.

On the metal front, surely Dream Theatre tops the list for exactly the reasons Soundmaster has stated.

Really, everything I dislike has already been stated here: flower metal, death metal vocals, overly fast drumming and soloing. I don't like super-fast music (extreme or flower) music at all. In regards to speedy tempo, I believe there comes a point where it ceases to be music and just becomes NOISE. I don't like death metal vocals and never will. It PISSES ME OFF when a band puts out an album with such KILLER music and then completely ruins it by putting ridiculous growling on top of it. I have learned to tolerate death vocals in order to enjoy some really great music, but that doesn't mean I like them. I can't find the melody in them, seems like all the lines are sung the same way.

I listen to all kinds of music and enjoy it, but the common demonator between them all is a little thing called MELODY. Without that, it just don't get played in my hallowed halls.

Greeno said:

I know what you mean...
With the difference that I consider Ayreon's "Universal Migrator pt.2: Flight Of The Migrator" and absolute masterpiece!
It's in fact different to somewhat ambiental usual Ayreon and more akin to Star One, maybe a tad more proggish.
Give it a listen, Greeno, ingenious songs sung by some of the best voices (Dickinson, Allen, Scheepers, Soeterboek, Parry) and some I don't usually dig as much, but Arjen seemed to have made them pull off their best performance (Kotipelto, Lione, Deris). It's very spacey and gets you into the mood...

If you try it, then let me know what you think about it, ok? ;)

SickBoy said:

Cool, thanks for the tip, I've not heard that one. I'll hunt it down and let you know what I think. Thanks!

ElectricWiz said:
Megadeth - Sorry Droogie, nothing personal. I have just never been able to get past Dave's voice. I bought Killing Is My Business when it was their only record, but never connected with it. I was always aware of what they were doing after that, but just couldn't ever get myself to care.
haha it's alright, it's not like everybody has to like what I do :)

Cradle of Filth ; I just hate the vocals, in the same line of 1980's act Living Death. Vocals for me mostly make or break a record...

Stratovarius-Blind Guardian- Sonata Arctica and other Euro-happy-powerbands. Some songs sound okay while others sound so cheesy they give me creeps...Yup, cheezy, that's the problem I think :D

You make me very sad. I love COF , dont mistake me though , I love Immortal, 1349, Emperor and Marduk. Sonata Arctica is in my top ten bands. Love em.

Cephalic Carnage - these wierd self proclaimed techy bands with insane vocals just have no substance and after awhile all the songs sound the same.

wdiv said:
Nightwish - I really dig good operatic metal (Therion for example), but haven't been impressed with what I've heard from Nightwish, their last 2 albums at least. Maybe their earlier stuff's a lot better (?)

Before dismissing them entirely you should try their second album "Oceanborn" which features Tarja´s most operatic vocals and their most complex songs. It is - IMO - by far Nightwish´s best album and currently the only one I still listen to. The vocals on "Wishmaster" are also more operatic than those on "Century Child" and "Once", but the songs are less complex than those on "Oceanborn".

Dream Theater - Already been beaten to death by previous posters, so no further comments.

I´d been a fan of them until the release of "Falling Into Infinity", but even way back then I´d wished they´d sounded somewhat less "sterile" and their albums never got as many spins as most of my other faves. When I saw them live once again in 2002, their music didn´t do much for me except of "The Killing Hand" (which had always been my favourite DT song) and their cover version of "Master Of Puppets".

Wyvern said:
1) All bands with growlers or screechers. I don't care how good they may be, if the vocals sucks for me they just overhyped too IMO: Arch Enemy, Children of Bodom, Destruction, Kreator (although I have a couple of albums), Grave Digger (although I have a couple of albums), Overkill, all death, all black, etc.

Same with me here, though I´m probably a bit less "sensitive", because I have no problems with the vocals of Destruction, Kreator, Grave Digger and Overkill (though I don´t care much about these bands either) and I still listen to Death´s "Leprosy" from time to time (probably because Chuck Schuldiner´s vocals were rather moderate compared to most other death metal vocalists). What I really can´t bear to hear are those vocalists who sound as if they are suffocating and I don´t like the male growlers of BnB-bands.

carnut said:
G'n'R ; never did, never will like 'm, I think it's something of the "if you do RNR you have to do drugs and be an asshole" mentality or so ...
Apart from the fact that their music didn´t do much for me, their image was probably the reason why I really disliked them. Actually, I´ve always had an aversion against bands which put - IMO - too much emphasis on their image. I don´t want anything that distracts from the music.

Another band already mentioned before, who I mostly dislike because of their clichéd image (though the songs I´ve heard of them didn´t impress me much either), are Manowar. To think that being the loudest band in the world is an achievement to be proud of is - IMO - simply ridiculous. What also put me off were those phrases like "Death to false metal!", "Whimps and posers leave the hall!" (isn´t it some kind of posing to wear earplugs and play so loud that fans who don´t protect their ears might get tinitus?), "Other bands play, Manowar kill!" (if they really did, there´d soon be noone to attend their concerts and buy their albums) - it´s so overdone.

Ha ha I love Opeth and older Cradle Of Filth but I have a bad feeling
roadrunner is going to ruin these 2 bands Nymphetamine was a mediocre cd
at best and I am hearing some elements of nu-metal riffing on that new opeth
cd. And fear factory's last cd with roadrunner Digimortal was just plain terrible. And trying not to piss off the UMOS brigade I try to listen to
power metal but it just reminds me of thrash metal with an either operatic
singer or a glam singer i just cant get into it at all.

SickBoy said:
I know what you mean...
With the difference that I consider Ayreon's "Universal Migrator pt.2: Flight Of The Migrator" and absolute masterpiece!
It's in fact different to somewhat ambiental usual Ayreon and more akin to Star One, maybe a tad more proggish.
Give it a listen, Greeno, ingenious songs sung by some of the best voices (Dickinson, Allen, Scheepers, Soeterboek, Parry) and some I don't usually dig as much, but Arjen seemed to have made them pull off their best performance (Kotipelto, Lione, Deris). It's very spacey and gets you into the mood...

Yes, and Romeo's solo in Dawn of a Million Souls is to die for, although I have trouble with the other Ayreon albums as well.

I dont get:

Nevermore - Dane is more of a whiner than a crooner
Savatage - I do like some stuff, mostly Hall & Gutter
POS = boring
Living Colour
anything Zakk Wylde does
DT after IAW
Fates Warning With Arch
Motorhead
King's X
Saxon
Tesla
Blind Guardian
all Helloween clones
Ripper Owens (I love Iced Earth w/Barlow)

I think age is a big factor in the whole Maiden/Priest/Scorps thing mentioned earlier. Hypothetically, I can't expect Johnny D to like the same stuff that I did when I was 16, when he's like 10 years younger than me. I'm sure there are plenty of exceptions, but it's a huge factor......