Metal bands that are popular that you dislike?

SoundMaster

Jan 20, 2002
"the flower & willow world"
Visit site
Hello all -

Are there any metal/hard rock bands that are popular that you just don't get; bands who have garnered praise & respect, yet you just can't see why?

And, by "popular", I don't mean in the "Madonna" sense of popularity, But rather, popular in the metal scene.

For me, it's simple. I've never understood the band Kiss. For the life of me, I just can't see what attracts so many people to them. In my view, they are a rather pedestrian rock band, offering very little in terms of musicianship, emotional songwriting, craftsmanship, art, etc. (although I do like the riff in the song 'Unholy')

Both Simmons and Stanley have dreadfully poor voices, IMO, and nothing they've done sounds "timeless" to me. Perhaps the infatuation has more to do with the makeup & image than with the actual music. Perhaps a good psychiatrist can explain it - young, impressionable youths of the 70s were just awed by grown men in clown make-up? I dont know.

So, what popular metal/rock bands do you just "not get"?

Abryl said:

Because Show No Mercy, Haunting The Chapel and Hell Awaits were absolutely groundbreaking, and the four afterwards Thrashed with the best of em.

I really don't understand how In Flames has become so respected...Their early work sounds like a folkish Iron Maiden ripoff with horrible vocals, and their later stuff is just mallcore.

Kiss, Rage Against the Machine, nething with Tony Martin, In Flames, Guns n Roses, Poison, well all hair metal bands

OPETH. FUCKING OPETH. The most godawful boring "metal" band of all time.

Agreed with Jean-Pierre on In Flames, and I would also like to submit The Haunted. How the fuck these tasteless post-thrash melodic death clowns got classified as the saviors of thrash, I will never know. I mean, if you like sped-up melodeath with awful barking vocals, sure, go wild. But LEAVE THEM OUT OF MY PRECIOUS PRECIOUS THRASH.

Oh yeah, what the fuck is up with Hammerfall, and why are they being hailed as these modern power metal geniuses? All they're doing is playing Metal Church's "Batallions" over and over, with GODFUCKINGAWFUL vocals. I think the metal world needs a good dose of Virgin Steele and Manticora. Now THAT is power metal.

Slayer slayer slayer slayer slayer.....

Otep (a little too popish but I can't express my hatred enough), Opeth, CoF, Dimmu Borgir, Black Dahlia Murder, Cephalic Carnage, Manowar, Dillenger Escape Plan, Coheed and Cambria, Cannibal Corpse.

Lost Horizon... I don't hate them but they are massively overrated

OPETH! THE most boring metal band i have EVER heard. Nevermore is another that i just can't get into. I've tried, believe me, and i just can't get into them. Cradle of Filth really suck, and i just can't see or hear why they command such a huge crowd of fans. I've made better "extreme" metal with my ass.

Slipknot-A lame gimmick that fits their level of talent...
(recently) KISS-End it already...
Metallica-St. Anger was THE LAST straw...
Poison-I can't believe they had platinum records?!
(recently)WASP-Why not just call it "Lawless" you've dragged the name into the ground..
Anthrax-What a fucking joke of a band they have become, they make M.O.D. seem like a "serious" band! It's a shame that John Bush & Joey Vera are a part of that "Titanic" called Anthrax!
Damageplan-Pantera meets Nu-Metal?
Stone Sour-Look it's the midget from Slipknot!
U2-What a bunch of fucking wankers...
They get involved with other countries' political issues?! Go fuck yourself Bono, you bug eyed wanna be embassador of the world!!!!!! I hope their new record tanks...
Nickleback-Clammy is there hunting season for uninspiring post-grunge pop artists there?!
The Dixie Chicks-Not only are they hard on the eyes, but they don't even have any talent. How did they get a record deal?!
David Lee Roth- He's not going bald, his hairline is getting stretched back, to lose those crowes feet... You look great babe, it is babe, right cos' you're in the business?!
Stephen Pearcy-Drop the bong & get back together with what is left of Ratt. This guy is lazy as a performer, but also as a person... Wanker.
Don Dokken-Earth to Don Dokken, you're not God...Although his ego appears to be as big as the earth...I dislike this man's ego & anything since Back for the Attack...

Part two coming soon...

With Opeth....i could agree. But CoF, no, I actually like them. lol Its Like black metal for ppl who like certain black metal bands and love thrash metal.

No its not thrash.....but it comes closer to it then Slipknot who sux donkey dick. And more thrash then Metallica or Megadeth or neother bands that call themselves thrash but aint even close.