I wanna know...which bands are popular?

Popular metal is your crappy boybands like Drowning Pool, Linkin Park and crap like that. Check music out by genres. Check out Doom, Death, Goth, Black, Thrash, Power metal for starters. Just google it and bands will start popping up. Go to their website and check the music out. Popular doesn't = good. Sadly it's the opposite in the metal world.

I'm from China...so I just know a little about metal...
P.S:I'm a girl....
I like METALLICA,but I think they're so old...and others like Children Of Bodom,Petera...and so on...
My english is poor...I'm so sorry...I hope you can understand me....hum.~~
Which songs are popular now?Please telling me~thanX~~~

Popular is good? Who said that?
The world in general says pop is popular and metal isn't, thus the world's appreciation of music has gone so far downhill as to be eaten up by a small population of giant slugs.

Everyone's got their own taste in music, I personally can't stand stuff like Disturbed and MCR which shouldn't even be called metal. I like Metallica and Children of Bodom, and Judas Priest, etc. and yes, they are old, but they've lasted so long and are legends to the world. But you don't have to think that either.
But if you don't like Iron Maiden, then you don't like metal. :D

Don't listen to Are You Dead Yet?. Listen to their better albums, like "Follow The Reaper".

Listen to this statement, only switch "Are You Dead Yet?" and "Follow The Reaper"
Then stop listening to Bodom and check out Wintersun, In Flames, Dark Tranquility, Kalmah, Norther, At The Gates, and Amon Amarth.

Also, please remove the tilde key from your computer.

Everyone's got their own taste in music, I personally can't stand stuff like Disturbed and MCR which shouldn't even be called metal. I like Metallica and Children of Bodom, and Judas Priest, etc. and yes, they are old, but they've lasted so long and are legends to the world. But you don't have to think that either.
But if you don't like Iron Maiden, then you don't like metal.
Uh...MCR is not metal. I don't think anyone who has ever heard actual metal would ever make that claim. But if you wanna see something fun, search Youtube for "MCR bottled Download."
And for the record I think Maiden are unbelievably overrated among metalheads...Zeppelin and Hendrix both suck, and no, I'm not joking.

Don't listen to Are You Dead Yet?. Listen to their better albums, like "Follow The Reaper".

I agree. Get "Follow the Reaper" then get "Something Wild". They're way better than Norther... Most of the time at least. Norther are a bit more raw & not very memorable. Well, they're far from being raw, but I don't know how else to put it. Wintersun is a band you might want to check out. They're kinda similar to Children of Bodom, only not as cheesey.

Dream Theater (Awake)
Cradle of Filth
Morbid Angel (Formulas Fatal to the Flesh; Gateways to Annihilation)
Necrophagist (Onset of Putrefacation)
Tesatment ("The Ritual" & before. "Souls of Black" is my favorite)
My Dying Bride
Amorphis
Nightwish (Oceanborn)
Megadeth (Rust in Peace, Countdown to Extinction)
Death (Individual Thought Patterns)

There's a lot more stuff, but these are all pretty good starting points & everything's pretty accessible I would say. You need to tell us more of what you like so we can give better recommendations.

EDIT: a few more...

Symphony X (The Divine Wings of Tragedy; The Odyssey)
Orphaned Land (Mabool)
Graveworm (As the Angels Reach the Beauty)
Bathory (Blood, Fire, Death)
Outworld
Firewind (Between Heaven & Hell)

I'm having a hard time coming up with better stuff, but I'm trying to hit more genres & get a broad sound out of these.

If you ever get tired of Metal you can just get Ayreon's "Into the Electric Castle" :worship: :p

Listen to this statement, only switch "Are You Dead Yet?" and "Follow The Reaper"
Then stop listening to Bodom and check out Wintersun, In Flames, Dark Tranquility, Kalmah, Norther, At The Gates, and Amon Amarth.

Also, please remove the tilde key from your computer.

Uh...MCR is not metal. I don't think anyone who has ever heard actual metal would ever make that claim. But if you wanna see something fun, search Youtube for "MCR bottled Download."
And for the record I think Maiden are unbelievably overrated among metalheads...Zeppelin and Hendrix both suck, and no, I'm not joking.

yet you have a Maiden logo in your sig... o_O

Because he's obviously an idiot with bad taste, as you can see from the majority of his posts.

Because I really don't like Follow the Reaper, and Bodom suck in general, and there was one song off AYDY that I liked. Alexi Laiho is an amazing guitarist, but he should probably just stick with Sinergy.
yet you have a Maiden logo in your sig...
Did I say Maiden suck, or that they're just really overrated? They are overrated. They also kick ass. But for some reason most people attribute some sort of godhood to them. They aren't gods. They're just really good.

Bathory - Hammerheart
Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse
In Flames - Subterranean
Death - Individual Thought Patterns
Slayer - Reign In Blood
Pantera - Cowboys From Hell
Hammerfall - Glory To The Brave
Amorphis - Tales From The Thousand Lakes
Testament - Practice What You Preach
Orphaned Land - Mabool
Iron Maiden - Caught Somewhere In Time(or, if you prefer, 7th Son of a 7th son)
Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime(Empire is overrated)
Black Sabbat - Black Sabbath, Paranoid, Master of Reality, and Vol. 4
Judas Priest - British Steel, Painkiller
Behemoth - Demigod
Candlemass - Epicus Doomicus Metallicus
Should cover most stuff...left out Brutal Death, Doom, and some other stuff, I'm sure, because my knowledge of those genres is limited