How popular are Katatonia in Sweden?

ether

°°§°°
Jan 14, 2002
Visit site
Do you think they are more popular in Sweden or abroad?
I know of many bands that sell more records abroad than in their native country, so I was wondering if Katatonia biggest fan base is in Sweden ( I don't thinks so...) or just scattered around the world.
Well, which is the most "katatonic" country?

Whoa..hard question..I also don't think it's Spain but I'm not sure about Sweden...if you'd ask where they sell the most CD's I'd say Germany!?..but fanbase..hm..dunno..

as a native sweede, i cant say there are many katatonia fans here either (not that i have met that is)
most of the time when i ask ppl about katatonia they just say
"ahh! that´s that brittish pop band, right?"
(for those who have missed it, there is a brittish band caled "catatonia"....and damn, they suck..)

I counted at least 10 people I have got something to do with who know and love Katatonia, thats quite a lot I think. But probably we are only just a little "Katatonia island", I don´t know. Certainly Germany is the country in Europe where they sell most records. But if you convert it into per cent per head of population maybe Finland or the UK are in the first place. I have no idea.

hmm, i dunno, i know 2 other than myself, one got me into Katatonia, and i got the other into Katatonia myself.

i've been told that theres someone in Ealing that goes around in a DO t-shirt, havent seen him myself, but thats about it, EVER.

i dont think they have a strong fan base anywhere i suppose, and im puzzled to know why. it always brings a tear to my eye when i go to my local HMV and see the same £8.99 Tonights Decision there that no ones bought yet. i mean its almost half price, and brilliant too, what the fuck people, go and buy it!!!

Originally posted by Hobo
as a native sweede, i cant say there are many katatonia fans here either (not that i have met that is)
most of the time when i ask ppl about katatonia they just say
"ahh! that´s that brittish pop band, right?"
(for those who have missed it, there is a brittish band caled "catatonia"....and damn, they suck..)

yeah ive heard about that too. yuck

well turkey has a large fan base but that doesnt get refected on the sale statitistics 'cause a CD is very expensive here. people prefer to buy copy CDs which are 1/8 of an original CD price. now you know.

per head of population, i believe that opeth and katatonia have very good sales here in ireland and in the uk too....

bollocks!!!! The Opeth/Katatonia/Novembre gig was cancelled in Belfast due to LACK OF INTEREST meaning that I had to MISS OUT!!! THE BASTARDS!!!!!

There would be a lot more interest if people had actually HEARD the bands.

well in London there seems to be a bigger fan base, i'd GUESS the biggest in Great Britain, that Belfast gig would have sold out twice over if it was in London, and there were a lot of unhappy people waiting outside as most/a lot of people buy tickets at the doors on the night.

as for the Catatonia things, argh. one of the worst cases was when i made a comment to someone on music and she said...''you saying that whilst wearing a Catatonia t-shirt'' where she obviously thought it was the Welsh bands t-shirt. :puke:

Originally posted by Parabola
But if you convert it into per cent per head of population maybe Finland or the UK are in the first place. I have no idea.

Well, as a Finn I must say, that Finland does have quite many Katatonia fans, from typical death metal freaks to pop music people... But if we remember, that Opeth was nominated in Swedish Grammy in "the best hard rock (heh) band", I think that also Katatonia must have some kind of support there...

I think here in Berlin there are a few ones that know and are into Katatonia. For example when i go to the record stores and check for Katatonia CDs there are always a few that have been bought.
One time i saw someone with a Discouraged one shirt and seeing him i thought, hmm maybe i should speak to him,just for fun, but here in Germany many people are very anonymous, kind of cold,everyone is doing his thing and so i let it be,you can get a dumb answer very fast, it's a pity.

here in Germany many people are very anonymous, kind of cold,everyone is doing his thing and so i let it be,you can get a dumb answer very fast, it's a pity.

Right observation. Somehow this attitude is assimilating, you can easily lose your frankness and become one of them after getting some 'dumb answers'.

And many people seem to have become "one of them" as far as i can see, i can't understand why it has to be this way but it's good to see that there are people out there who have not lost their frankness like you said;)

you are right. here in germany the people feel insulted or attacked when you talk to them without knowing ´em. so they give their dumb answers to protect themselves. very weird.
at the weekend i´m in berlin, so you can see one more katatonia fan. ;)