What is the deal with Sweden?

Yeah, you could name a few, but it doesn't compare to the number of classy Swedish acts, that's true. But the fact that few great Dutch bands have an international reputation, doen't mean they don't exist... I think :p

So, I'm on a Saturnus binge and......

They slay 90% of music being made around the world!!!

And they come from Denmark, who'd have thunk it?

hehe

^ I think I'm more frightened than anything that you actually know where that group is from. Thats the kind of information I need to forget in case they for some reason come up in a conversation again.

What?? Theres a few other good bands from Chicago:
Velnias
Clad in Darkness
Lividity
Gorgasm
Macabre

of course it depends what you like, but still, theres some stuff.

And what about Cult Of Daath?! Macabre though is the first band that should come up when thinking of Chicago. One of the best and original metal bands still going.

What also got me thinking about this topic was the Melloboat cruise.
(I still can't believe I missed that - probably the most important musical happening of the last 10 years!)

Anyways, check out the trailer for Melloboat:

It's just compressed greatness from one end to the other.
All these great bands like Bo Hannson, Promise and the Monster... stunning production for a country of 9 million.

I also agree that a whack of imitation bands are clouding up the scene - in some cases trying to out-death each other, which is the epitomy of lame if ask me... You know, band A has a demon drinking blood from the skull of a fetus on their album, so band B has to get 'creative' and be even sicker. Meanwhile, the music blows...

But on a per capita basis, I think Sweden is the best musical scene in the world.

Last edited by a moderator:
What?? Theres a few other good bands from Chicago:
Velnias
Clad in Darkness
Lividity
Gorgasm
Macabre

of course it depends what you like, but still, theres some stuff.

Yep, while I totally appreciate Belligerent's compliment, I agree that there's some other really good bands from Chicago. In addition to those mentioned, there's also TROUBLE, Cianide, Kommandant, Centaurus, Twelfth Gate, Ion Vein, to name a few.

There's just a ridiculous amount of talent coming out of Sweden, this is too true. Katatonia are probably my favorite current Swede band at the moment, along with Amon Amarth.

But for me there's two Swedish bands that I absolutely bow to....

Candlemass, and Edge Of Sanity. 'Nuff said. :worship:

Yep, while I totally appreciate Belligerent's compliment, I agree that there's some other really good bands from Chicago. In addition to those mentioned, there's also TROUBLE, Cianide, Kommandant, Centaurus, Twelfth Gate, Ion Vein, to name a few.

There's just a ridiculous amount of talent coming out of Sweden, this is too true. Katatonia are probably my favorite current Swede band at the moment, along with Amon Amarth.

But for me there's two Swedish bands that I absolutely bow to....

Candlemass, and Edge Of Sanity. 'Nuff said. :worship:

What about Opeth? :O

Oh don't get me wrong, I respect Opeth alot, and they're good people. I like alot of their stuff but they're not a band that I fervently follow, though some people seem to think they're a big influence on my band, which is incorrect, honestly. I guess it surprises people because they think they hear alot of Opeth in our sound, which honestly is more coincidental than anything, whether you wanna believe it or not. Personally I'm much more inspired by Katatonia, they've yet to release anything that I dislike, and I love the way they structure their songs. But I think Opeth deserve the accolades they get, because they're crazy fucking talented musicians and they've worked hard to get to where they are now.

After Forever, Epica, Within Temptation [..]

Not maybe liked here, but certainly internationally appealing.
OK, the female-fronted stuff, that's what we're know for yes.
Yeah, you could name a few, but it doesn't compare to the number of classy Swedish acts, that's true.
Exactly, that was my point.
But the fact that few great Dutch bands have an international reputation, doen't mean they don't exist... I think :p
Also true ;)

Holland got a gift from Australia donated though, Psycroptic. heh :)

Totally off topic.. I've wondered why I got in trouble for calling it Holland instead of The Netherlands when I lived there, yet people do it all the time. Was it just the Northern bastards that got shitty about it? Or I had shitty friends?

I think the weather might have something to do with all the great dark bands coming from Scandinavia. Though shouldn't that mean Alaska has many great bands too hmm............