What is the deal with EMG Pickups?!

Originally Posted by LiquidAces
You'll find, where it is almost going to distort on clean with single coils, the clean won't be as clean with humbuckers.

This is just flat out untrue. You've probably only played LiveWire or something like that. Jazz? Eh?

Frankly I dont even undertand the statement, must have left out a word ? {not a language check BTW, I just cant follow}

But either clean up nicely if you have a good non Marshall amp and you dont have to crank to the hilt.

So you're saying that a different EQ means it's not a clean signal? You can EQ a humbucker just about any way you want. There are a lot of really bright ones out there. A fatter EQ curve doesn't mean that the signal isn't clean. Things shouldn't get "mushy" unless the pickup is crappy or your amp doesn't handle a little extra bass very well.

Mate that was completely quoted from a website. Don't question it. its just a fact.

I don't know why you are being so stubborn. Read, absorb. Learn. EQ has nothing to do with what we are talking about. I'm talking about pure clean signal. Single coil has 6 pole pieces, humbuckers have 12.

Well then, quoted from the same page you linked immediately above the part you quoted:

Electronically speaking, a Single Coil pickup consists of a single coil of wire wrapped around six (in guitar pickups) magnetic poles. While doing a great job of generating a voltage from the string vibration, they also tend to act a little like an antenna, picking up different kinds of EMI (see WFTD archive EMI) fields. As a result, the Single Coil pickup tends to hum quite often, and even quite loudly at times.

The Humbucker style pickup has two coils linked in series out of phase. This configuration causes the two coils to cancel each other out, eliminating or "bucking" the hum while providing an even higher voltage signal from the string vibrations. The result is a much quieter pickup with greater output.

I'm not being stubborn against learning anything. I just find it hard to believe that a humbucker has a somehow less pure or clean signal than a single coil. You've yet to say anything that really supports that. Also, the whole "Don't question it. It's on the internet, so it's a true fact," business is silly. How can you expect to really learn anything if you don't question anything? I'll believe you if you can prove it, but it still seems like you're confusing a clean signal with a bright/present signal which gives the impression of a cleaner signal to our ears.

Well then, quoted from the same page you linked immediately above the part you quoted:

I'm not being stubborn against learning anything. I just find it hard to believe that a humbucker has a somehow less pure or clean signal than a single coil. You've yet to say anything that really supports that. Also, the whole "Don't question it. It's on the internet, so it's a true fact," business is silly. How can you expect to really learn anything if you don't question anything? I'll believe you if you can prove it, but it still seems like you're confusing a clean signal with a bright/present signal which gives the impression of a cleaner signal to our ears.

Do a search on the internet and find the same thing i found. Malmsteen was a guitar tech, he had dimarzio work closely with him and in that interview malmsteen says as well as the quote i gave you above from the website which is a technical forum. Telling you that single coils are the purest and cleanest pickup. Because humbuckers distort the signal. Its somewhere. I can't be bothered finding it anymore. I"ve invested enough time trying to educate. If you wanna learn find it yourself.

Do a search on the internet and find the same thing i found. Malmsteen was a guitar tech, he had dimarzio work closely with him and in that interview malmsteen says as well as the quote i gave you above from the website which is a technical forum. Telling you that single coils are the purest and cleanest pickup. Because humbuckers distort the signal. Its somewhere. I can't be bothered finding it anymore. I"ve invested enough time trying to educate. If you wanna learn find it yourself.

your going from something you read, or something you think you read ?

I'll tell you from experience you are wrong and totally not understanding something, differences yes, distortion no

Thank you for being the voice of reason.

It's going to make me sound like a dick, but Liquid Ace, you're debating against fundamental electromagnetic science. I don't frankly think you have a clue what you're talking about, and like Steve said, you're just going by something you maybe read, maybe not, on the internet. On the other hand, (and here's where I sound like a dick but you've made it unavoidable) I have a BSEE degree, and I don't even need to flaunt it to point out to you the basic information TomAwesome found on the same website you linked. You don't need a degree to understand that. But what I will say is that the information he linked, unlike whatever it was that you read, coincides with the properties of physics of ferrous materials and their fields, induced or directly generated, and that your argument may have a basis, but evidence for it will not be found in an equation or other scientific fact.

Like I said, you're arguing from personal preference.

They both sound different is all that anyone really needs to know and both clean up nicely. I couldnt begin to put words as to the difference in tone under high gain, maybe a humbucker delivers it smoother? tighter ? finer?

The difference is personal preference, they have different tonal qualities (like you said) but Liquid Ace is claiming one is a pure signal and the other isn't, which is false.

No doubt. one is one coil and the other is two coils.... reverse polarity ? in order to... cancel a magnetic field ?

Then P90s are a whole nother single coil sound

No doubt. one is one coil and the other is two coils.... reverse polarity ? in order to... cancel a magnetic field ?

Then P90s are a whole nother single coil sound

It cancels the antenna behaviour of the single coil. When you arrange magnetic or electric current carrying elements in a line, they tend to resonate and become an antenna. This can be shown with the antenna emitter equation. (I'll post it if you make me.) Suffice to say, it basically shows that the magnitude of the transmitted or received, in this case, signal is proportional to the spacing of the elements, the number of elements, and the strength of their fields.

The layman's version would go something like this: Seen cell phone towers or TV antennas? They're arrangements of metal beams in a line, or several lines. Your old school cell phone also has a line antenna. So does your car radio. The length of the wire determines what strength and what frequency range it can best send or pick up. This is why bent or broken antennas don't work as well even though they're just made of the same boring old metal. Shape matters. Like dish antennas. If they aren't curved right, they won't receive or transmit effectively.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/24/Dipolentstehung.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antenna_(radio)

OK, but why do they transmit sound differently or tone if thats the better word.

then there is the phasing some guitars have and that changes the tone.

its simply because of the direction the current travels through the windings around these magnets ?

probably seemed like a pure stroke of genious in its day but is so primitive today, none the less it amazes me.... though it is easier to it take for granted.

OK, but why do they transmit sound differently or tone if thats the better word.

then there is the phasing some guitars have and that changes the tone.

its simply because of the direction the current travels through the windings around these magnets ?

probably seemed like a pure stroke of genious in its day but is so primitive today, none the less it amazes me.... though it is easier to it take for granted.
In short, yes it's just the current direction. Because normally that wouldn't matter, yet with a humbucker you have two fields, and there it DOES matter. Think of tug of war. If two people pull opposite ways, or both push, or pull one way, or the other, direction does matter and has interesting effects. Single coil would be as if there is just one person with the rope.

on the first page pepole were saying that romeo used 2 81's...is that true? i obviously know he used emgz0rz in the purple mII deluxe (which im going to get later this year...not his but hopefully same thing). and tbh that is my favorite tone from him

Do you mean the 81 by EMG? Its a company that predominatly sells active pickups with the "Hz" series being the among the few passive pickups they sell. I have 81's and they sound great IMO with some tone sculpting- I hate the SD JB and Dimarizio are mediocre, apart from the pickup in the bridge of high end RG's.

uty.

2. They make it reaaaaaaaaaaaaly easy to be playing sloppily and have it sound like you are playing fluently. EMG makes you sound better than you are, and makes it so you really don't have to perfect your technique because anything vaguely close will sound perfect to most people. If you ever listen to a Kirk Hammet solo closely, he's the sloppiest guitarist on the face of the planet and gets all sorts of string noise and mal-timed bends out of key, but to the amature ear, the EMG really masks those mistakes. I shudder to think about how he would sound through real pickups.

That's the biggest laod of BS ive ever heard. It's harder to play clean on high output pickups because they're so sensitive that if you fart too loud it will give you terrible feedback(ok thats a exagguration but). I think EMGs are good in a decent amp. In a shit amp it's like buying a broken stereo set for much money that sounds shit. Seriously though...picking noise and other unclean playing is more forward on a Active Hum still.

Do you mean the 81 by EMG? Its a company that predominatly sells active pickups with the "Hz" series being the among the few passive pickups they sell. I have 81's and they sound great IMO with some tone sculpting- I hate the SD JB and Dimarizio are mediocre, apart from the pickup in the bridge of high end RG's.

i know all about emg's, i have them in my main axe. but i know that romeo used them now