What is the deal with EMG Pickups?!

Okay, I heard a few clips of EMGs the other day, and they are the worst sounding pickups I have ever hear...aside from BC Rich BDSMs...But I could not understand what the hell was going on, perhaps if they have a decent clean, then that's alright (My bridge pickup distorts on clean), but other than that...they sound like ass.

If someone can get a good sound for a lower price, why not go for it? And no matter what kind of rig people have, if they're a professional guitarist, they're not going to stick with their stock pickups. But for those who aren't at a professional level, why spend a lot on amplification and effects when you can get a somewhat decent amp for a more reasonable price, and good pickups?

Yeah, um... I don't appreciate sarcasm. People have opinions, but I guess you don't know how to respect them. You obviously aren't a very open minded person, why else would someone make sarcastic remarks regarding someone's opinion?

Katalepsy said:
Yeah, um... I don't appreciate sarcasm. People have opinions, but I guess you don't know how to respect them. You obviously aren't a very open minded person, why else would someone make sarcastic remarks regarding someone's opinion?
Oh well, when someone say something THAT far fetched sarcasm kinda leaks from my fingers.

Pickups set output level and pre-gain-EQ, that's about it. Sorry if you thought you could get a descent tone with a 15 watt Crate and DiMarzios. The truth is when you have a well-wound and descently-designed pickup coupled with a good amp you can't really get much better.

The truth is, when you have a descent amp, about any pickup is USABLE. Whether it responds well to your style or not's a whole another story.

You obviously aren't a very open minded person either, as you take things out of context* way too quickly.

*-Special attention here kids, that's how you make expensive mistakes!

he was just having an opinion on your opinion. Your just bashing the hell out of things instead of calmly stating why you dont like it. Instead of saying it sucks just say you dislike them instead of forcing your opinion down everyones throats because its the only right one. I happen to prefer DiMarzios but i dont go around saying all the other pickups suck. EMGs pick up distortion a little heavier thats what they are designed for and they do damn good at it. If you have clarity problems just adjust your distorion levels and such.
lol I have a 15 watt crate...and zax is right, doesnt matter what guitar you stick on it it still doesnt change the tone too much. I need a new amp lol
I do think pickups are designed to shape your tone more than change it, thats the work of the amp/effects.

Here is the deal with EMG81s (and other actives) :

They are not only designed to give high output, but also a flat frequency response. This sounds very "dry" or "sterile" to some people because standard wound magnetic pickups have "sweet spots" as well as dull spots and as players, we often compensate unconciously by picking harder/softer etc. Guitars and guitar amps also have those sweet spots and dull spots which is why when we play other people's rigs (even if they are more expensive) we rarely get a sound we like.
Going from a passive to an active is an Odyssee (pun intended) and takes getting used to just like changing guitars, effects or amps. As far as for being "only for metal" I also disagree with that, but again, losing that "sweet spot" has it's negatives when pouring out those soulful pentatonic blues solos. The best way to get around the lack of the "sweet spot" is with an expressive amp. Without real tube power, I wouldn't do anything other than thrash type stuff (chunka chunka stuff sounds great on solid state.) The advantage of the flat frequency response is that with proper equalization, any note you play on the guitar will be almost as loud as any other.

Bryant

Bryant said:
Here is the deal with EMG81s (and other actives) :

They are not only designed to give high output, but also a flat frequency response. This sounds very "dry" or "sterile" to some people because standard wound magnetic pickups have "sweet spots" as well as dull spots and as players, we often compensate unconciously by picking harder/softer etc. Guitars and guitar amps also have those sweet spots and dull spots which is why when we play other people's rigs (even if they are more expensive) we rarely get a sound we like.
Going from a passive to an active is an Odyssee (pun intended) and takes getting used to just like changing guitars, effects or amps. As far as for being "only for metal" I also disagree with that, but again, losing that "sweet spot" has it's negatives when pouring out those soulful pentatonic blues solos. The best way to get around the lack of the "sweet spot" is with an expressive amp. Without real tube power, I wouldn't do anything other than thrash type stuff (chunka chunka stuff sounds great on solid state.) The advantage of the flat frequency response is that with proper equalization, any note you play on the guitar will be almost as loud as any other.

Bryant
One more factor would be that most amplifiers are designed around passive pickups. BTW, I'm not buying this EMGs are flat-freq-response. Every single 81 clip I've heard had a HUGE pre-gain spike in the high midrange to treble.

Opus(sy) said:
Haha i use an EMG 81 laiden RAN custom guitar, going into a line6 Flextone2 head...and the other guitarist in my band plays with an 'EMG laiden' ibanez also going through an HD147... :loco:

RAN... is it the one from Poland?

I have an Ibanez RG-570 with DiMarzio X2N pickup - it rocks! I personally dislike active pickups because of their 'artificial' sound...

Well, I don't really have a lot of experience around pickups, but as I upgraded my gear the other day, from an Ibanez GRX170 (it's cheap, yes - but I love it) to an LTD M1000.. With EMGs. First I didn't really like them - I felt like the PSND-pickups on my Ibanez were better for soloing, but as I have gotten used to the guitar (it's a pretty big step, I believe) I have actually come to like them - I have been thinking of trying different pickups out, since I have a couple of guitars now I can fiddle around with, but untill I can afford it, I'm more than happy with my EMGs - You can't get any sound you like the first three hours with any pickup, I believe - it's like new underwear.. And we all know how that feels like.

I have to go with those on here who are saying that the EMG active pick-ups sound cold and sterile. Honestly from my experience, personal, and even hearing bands that use them, I came to the conclusion that they lacked any real character in their tone...and I ended up finding this forum in a google search to see if there was anyone else out there who might have the same opinion that these pick-ups are overrated. To me, figuratively speaking, they're the equivalent of a woman who's bleached her hair blonde, gotten breast implants, and all kinds of cosmetic surgery to look "good". But hey, my personal preferences to sound quality is anything lo-fi/mid-fi, analog, dirgy, gritty, fat, warm, rough, etc. Anything that sounds natural and human. I hate almost anything that is too hi-fidelity. Yeah, so, that's my bias.

Thats alright nightowl.

I haven't read the previous pages in this thread, but I agree with you. They're good to really pull the signal through to the amp/fx, and really good at producing a well-defined sound with minimal noise..... but thats about it.

I'd say they would be a good starting point though. Then once you get used to the sound you can decide what its lacking and try and find something better.

I really think it depends on what you're playing as well. These kids playing metalcore in drop C sound great with EMG's...personally, they don't suite my style...but they do have their place. Go post an anti EMG thread on the James Murphy board...you'll get a lashing!

Anyway...if you're chugging away out of a stack with oodles of distortion...does it really matter? How can something sound cold in that case? It can sound tight, or it can be nasty buzzsaw, but judging warmth and pickup character is really mute.

I'm a Duncan fan since the early 80's...I try others too, but usually go back. I really want to try those Rockfields...haven't had a chance.

While we're on the subject... How hard is it to have an active picup AND a passive at the same time? Like active on bridge and passive on neck or something.. and why?

You could do it. The wiring is opposite for actives though.... I think. In circuit theory its opposite anyway. If you decide to do it i'll figure out the wiring for you.

The reason you would do it is to get a really heavy rhythm section, and a more coloured/old/whatever sound for lead parts. There are passives that belt out the same signal strength as actives, so keep that in mind also.

You could do it. The wiring is opposite for actives though.... I think. In circuit theory its opposite anyway. If you decide to do it i'll figure out the wiring for you.

The reason you would do it is to get a really heavy rhythm section, and a more coloured/old/whatever sound for lead parts. There are passives that belt out the same signal strength as actives, so keep that in mind also.

Carvin sells the option to have both pickup circuits in their guitars...that's a cool idea.

I'm truly a Seymour Duncan fan. I think passive Duncans provide the richest sound as well as good output. The screaming demon and hot rails sound amazing, and I've nothing to add.

Now that you mention this combination thing, what do you think of putting an EMG 85 in the neck position and a Dimebucker in the bridge?
It may not be possible or sound like shit but its just a doubt I have. :rofl: