What is the deal with Sweden?

GT2000

May 7, 2008
Vancouver, Canada
Any Swedes out there with a theory as to why their country is leading the way in terms of quality music...?

I'm just constantly amazed at how many great bands keep launching out of there. Dang, my newest fave is In Mourning, and of course I check the label and - yep - they're from some place called Falun, Sweden.

Just doing a quick IPOD search, and look what I find:
- Katatonia
- Anekdoten
- Shining
- In Mourning
- Opeth
- Meshuggah

Contrast that with Vancouver, Canada, where I come from.
Big city.
Lotsa cool music venues.
Yet, virtually no local talent crushing the world.
Yeah, we have Black Mountain. Devin Townsend. And, that's it.

What is the deal with Sweden? :worship:

Well, I think metal has always been big here. Like in Germany, there are quite a few good acts coming from that country as well.

Also, I believe the school system may have something to do with it. It's easy to get to start playing an instrument under guided supervision from a good teacher and doesn't cost much. Thus, lots of talent is taken care of early. It's also fairly easy (comparatively) to get access to good places to rehearse.

Just my 1 SEK worth of thoughts as I stumbled into this forum, lured by this question. :)

/SE

When it comes to metal music Sweden always leads.

Some that are not mentioned:

Dark Tranquillity
In Flames
At The Gates
Bokor
Evergrey
Pain of Salvation
Nightingale
Edge of Sanity
Dan Swano

The ones that came into my mind spontaneously.So Sweden rulz as you can see.

There are a ton of great Swedish bands, so many its not worth listing... on my last.fm I counted 22 in the top 50 artists and 35 of the 50 are Sandinavian, 46 of 50 are European.
Something about the air in northern Europe I suppose.. Sweden, Finland and Norway have so many great bands each.

many a band from Sweden has impressed over the years:

Entombed
Grave
Pan-Thy-Monium
Karaboudjan
General Surgery
Nihilist
Dismember
Therion
Carbonized
Afflicted
Furbowl
Regurgitate
Sayyadina
Birdflesh
Carnage
Desultory
Unleashed
Nasum
Necrony
Runemagick
Darkified
Shining
CANDLEMASS!!!

and of course Katatonia and Bloodbath ;)

Most of my favorite bands are from scandinavia, sweden in particular - I think I listen to more Swedes than any other nationality. I think it has something to do with a thriving arts scene, cultural heritage and the encouragement of youths to play instruments and express themselves - this too is probably linked to very good economic and social conditions. Although listening to anything In Flames released after Clayman challenges this theory haha

13,405 to be exact, but who knows I could wake up tomorrow, and he'll have past that 15,000 mark.

Sweden and Finland are two utterly overrated countries.
It's only because you live there and are tired of the scene. Sweden, Finland,and Norway have pumped out some of the best music in the industry and bands have emerged that I didn't know existed. I'm still amazed at the quality of music from over there.

Here in Chicago there is BARELY a metal scene. The only band I will stick up for is Novembers Doom (cause they rule), but other than that metal is nonexistent.