Katatonia, more popular than you think?

seventi

Viva Lonliness!
Mar 8, 2002
The Third Place
Visit site
Yesterday I bought Tonight's Decision. When I was about to pay for the album the cd guy tells me that Katatonia albums is almost the only albums he sells nowadays. Especially Tonight's Decision, but the most popular is Last Fair Deal Gone Down. He told me that this was very strange because not long ago (before the release of Viva Emptiness) no one bought any Katatonia cd's. So, I guess the band has now got some pretty big recognition after VE.

Just wondering, because I was the third guy that day who bought a Katatonia album. How big are they really?

I don't know anyone in our local area (apart from me and Guardian of Darkness) who actually listens to them, but whoever I "show" them to really likes them. They're a band that is widely appealing, no two ways about that.

I've met only one person who listened to katatonia and he is the person who introduced them to me. I'm pretty sure the amount of fans are pretty limited here in North America. Stores in my area only carry VE and LFDGD mostly rarely will I see any of the other releases.

I know of a lot of people who used to listen to Katatonia
some stopped after Discouraged ones and some(like me) with Viva Emptiness
I still listen to their other stuff tho

Well I made a friend listen to Tonight's Decision today and he said he liked it....so hopefully he'll get into them. The only album that our store has now is Viva Emptiness and that kinda worries me cause the album doesn't proride much new things for the guy since he's a huge nu-metal fan. No,VE isn't nu-metal,but the guitars are a lot that way. So anyway,hopefully there's another fan.

I know absolutely no Katatonia fans in my city. Saw one with a Tonight's Decision longsleeve at a Battlelore concert earlier this year though.

Well, I think they're doing alright where I live. A couple of my favorite record stores frequently restock Viva Emptiness, Discouraged Ones, Brave Murder Day and Last Fair Deal Gone Down. And as they rightfully should 'cause Katatonia fuckin' rule!

manuelgv said:
I know of a lot of people who used to listen to Katatonia
some stopped after Discouraged ones and some(like me) with Viva Emptiness
I still listen to their other stuff tho

sure, thats right same here, you could find up to discouraged, for Tonight's I wait like one year, LFDG costed me an eye (could say there's only 10 albums in my country :) ) and I haven't seen Viva E. yet :erk:

well, here in Mexico, in JALISCO - my place -;
katatonia is very well known for all their stuff before "DISCOURAGED ONES"...
you know, the old stuff...
most of them dislike the new katatonia sound...

but still, there are many fans around...

and as john carvajal said, myself too havent seen viva emptiness around here...

HMV, eh? The one I go to (Edmonton, Canada) never has Tonight's Decision anymore. Actually, there are some HMV's that don't even have a label on the shelf for Katatonia. :cry: