Best to least list of Katatonia albums

Tonight's Decision
Brave Murder Day
The Great Cold Distance
Discouraged Ones
Dance of December Souls
Viva Emptiness
Last Fair Deal Gone Down

I think with the exception of Tonight's Decision and Brave Murder Day, the others are all on the level. :)

1) Brave Murder Day
2) Discouraged Ones
3) Last Fair Deal Gone Down
4) Dance Of December Souls
5) The Great Cold Distance
6) Tonight's Decision
7) Viva Emptiness

Viva Emptiness
Discouraged Ones
Tonight's Decision
The Great Cold Distance
Last Fair Deal Gone Down
Brave Murder Day
Dance of December Souls

This list changes with the mood i guess.

Day is definitely the highlight of BMD. It's too bad the rest of the songs aren't strictly jonas with clean vocals. I always picture clean vocals for murder whenever I hear it.

I am not going to list fav - to least just say what I think about each

DODS - Depressing / dark / tortured
BMD - Poorly produced but masterpiece in it's own right
epic guitar lead doomy riffs / majestic
DO - The vocals aren't the greatest from technical point of view
but highly effective for tone /impacting - The most depressing vocals ever
Rhythem guitars similar to BMD
TD - Very depressing / Cold / maybe the cover art affects the visual i see on this album too much but the "blue atmosphere" is what I feel
LFDGD - I agree with former post; epitome of what Katatonia is, almost all the songs could be released, very little gap between each song - In one sense very "Monotonous, graveyard" like feel; yet daniels rhythems in this album are insane; hence this album is more upbeat than previous two.
VE - One of the darkest Kat albums, most angst driven/ depressing but less mournful than DO - LFDGD, a new intensity: Some of their strongest material on this album, not necesarily their greatest album
TGCD - Picking off where left off with VE with heaviness and intensity; but a return to the TD tone/ Cold / depressing
Perfection - Vocals and instrumental play

I don't know if anyone eles agrees with what I said there

Day is definitely the highlight of BMD. It's too bad the rest of the songs aren't strictly jonas with clean vocals. I always picture clean vocals for murder whenever I hear it.
I love growls, but I mean... BMD is not pure Katatonia for me. Every time I listen to BMD I have a feeling that I listen to Opeth. May be that is the reason... I don't mean Opeth is bad, but when I put Katatonia on, I want to hear Katatonia and nothing else.

Brave Murder Day--Masterpiece of Katatonia. In my top 10 best of all fuckin' time. Viva Emptiness--atmosphere of this record grabs and does'nt let go. Love Blackheim's guitar tone throughout. Last Fair Deal gone Down--excellent album, a bit uneven in some places, but Katatonia can really do no wrong.

Aprilhäxan;5645426 said:
I love growls, but I mean... BMD is not pure Katatonia for me. Every time I listen to BMD I have a feeling that I listen to Opeth. May be that is the reason... I don't mean Opeth is bad, but when I put Katatonia on, I want to hear Katatonia and nothing else.

I like growls too but it doesn't fit katatonia as well as clean vocals do for me. Although I'd take good clean vocals over growls anyday of the week anyhow.

I think BMD would suffer enormously from having only clean vocs. The part in Rainroom where Jonas sings is damn cool, but I've always considered Day the low point of it. While still being good of course

They aren't opeth it would have been way better in my opinion however it prolly wouldn't have gotten them the recognition. Why would they need growls anyhow? Not saying this is what they suffered from at all or why they had growls on that cd, but everyone is always trying to push the limits and be more "extreme" or more aggressive to cover up the lack of originality. It's the same with movies they just get more violent and repulsive to make up for the lack of ideas. It's truly much harder to be creative within the limits. They have a singer with one of the most beautiful voices ever, why shouldn't they have utilized him? What BMD suffers from is bad song structures. Some of the songs are too long, some parts could have been arranged better, some parts could have been left out. It's just like the first 3 opeth cds in that sense which is why it's quite funny they got mikael on it. They were a young band though and wanted every cool idea to be thrown in regardless, it happens. Murder and maybe rainroom are the only songs besides day that really works on the cd for me. Also the drum sound is very unorganic because jonas used triggers for everything(which is a no-no) so he might as well have used a drum machine and programmed the whole cd. Honestly it sounds more like a demo than a cd not to mention it wasn't even properly mixed or mastered when it was released. I actually have a hunch that someone slipped the people who press the cds a copy of the demo and it was a big hit so no one said anything. I'm not trying to change peoples minds but I just don't see it as the untouchable masterpiece of katatonia or where they peaked creatively by a long shot, more like an unfinished product that could have used some work.

C'mon guys...DODS is one of the most influential Doom/Death/Black Metal albums ever...RESPECT!!!
Yeah, that's it :mad:

Tonight's Decision
Last Fair Deal Gone Down
Dance of December Souls
Brave Murder Day

...and these are my 4 favourites, being DoDS and BMD my faves of all times, I've always said that, but it also can change depending on my mood... and I really love TD as well. Then comes...

Discouraged Ones
Viva Emptiness
The Great Cold Distance

I also like DO very much, but not as much as the first four I mentioned, just a few songs I like the best there.

I guess I just prefer the damp atmosphere of BMD and Sounds of Decay to the clean sound of the newer stuff, and I don't the songs are badly written. On contrary I believe that the repetition has a hypnotic effect, even if it lacks hooks. And screw hooks.
Maybe it's simply because I like the essence of Death Metal and Doom/Death more than rockish stuff.

And on another note, Opeth have never been good songwriters structure-wise. Actually, they've gotten worse. I still like Still Life, MAYH and Damnation but Ghost Reveries was just awful. Mikaels killer growls couldn't even save that one.

I guess I just prefer the damp atmosphere of BMD and Sounds of Decay to the clean sound of the newer stuff, and I don't the songs are badly written. On contrary I believe that the repetition has a hypnotic effect, even if it lacks hooks. And screw hooks.
Maybe it's simply because I like the essence of Death Metal and Doom/Death more than rockish stuff.

And on another note, Opeth have never been good songwriters structure-wise. Actually, they've gotten worse. I still like Still Life, MAYH and Damnation but Ghost Reveries was just awful. Mikaels killer growls couldn't even save that one.

I think I agree with you in this post. I agree bout what you said bout Katatonia and I think that's the reason why I usually prefer the older stuff.
About Opeth... I agree as well, though I honestly haven't heard Ghost Reveries yet and I don't know if I will... It's like I lost the interest I used to have for them for some reason.