viva emptiness compared to the other albums

shivering corpse

Ty Cobbb
Sep 20, 2002
smileville
www.geocities.com
those that have heard it(i have not), how would you say "viva emptiness" compares with the other albums?
better?worse?somewhere in the middle?
i haven't heard viva emptiness, but my list so far goes:

tonight's decision
last fair deal gone down
brave murder day
discouraged ones
dance of december souls

I still don't have a solid opinion on how it compares to the other albums. It is just different, besides which everybody has different opinions. I think tonight's decision is their weakest album

It is different, I agree, and that turned me off the first couple of times. Now I love it, but it's going to take time before I can place it compared to the others.
As much as I love old Katatonia, I really love how they've developed over the years, so I'm not at all disappointed with Viva Emptiness now that it's sinking in.

(I'm probably going to be playing the whole album on the radio Sat night/Sun morning, so if anyone who hasn't heard it yet wants to without downloading...)

From what I have heard so far...I like alot, what I love in the katatonia cd's is those little licks that Anders does to hold things together & of course I love Jonas' voice atop. I feel this release really captured an edge to Katatonia's usuall sanity. To begin with the songs are tuned lower, the lyrics are more reflective & aggressive (which when used correctly can really improve on the mood), & just the whole hora it puts off sounds awesome to me. I say next to Last Fair Deal this one is my favorite.

i don't think viva emptiness is as good as any of their older albums...that's not saying it's not fucking good though, coz it is!

it's just different i guess...more aggression, less depression could sum it up i guess

katatonia is so fucking good because each of their albums is different than the other, yet still has that solid katatonia sound. I think viva emptiness kicks just as much ass as the other ones.

i don't like it at all, too much Tool in it for me. I think its their worst by a long way.

The order for me would go:

Brave Murder Day
Tonight's Decision
Dance Of December Souls
Discouraged Ones
Last Fair Deal Gone Down
Viva Emptiness

my list until viva...pretty much by the release order:)

Dance of December Souls
Brave Murder Day
Tonight's Decision
Discouraged Ones
Last Fair Deal Gone Down

Culture - too much Tool????
Never enough Tool...& I dont feel that much tool at all...maybe only on criminals & possibly evidence...besides that I dont hear it at all.. I more hear composisions comparable to Mudvayne.

Demonspell...wander aimlessly check yourself man...you better start understanding what great music is all about before you say wander Aimlessly. There is defineltly a reason why Tool is Jonas' favorite band.

Demonspell said:
I don't hear any Tool on what I've heard of the album, and Katatonia's songs certainly don't wander aimlessly like Tool usually does...

Indeed... it seems that Tool comparisons are thrown around quite irresponsibly...... "everything sounds like Tool!"

:yuk:

I think it is brilliant. More prog than the other stuff. Not in a tool way. (the only song I hear even a hint of tool on is Sleeper, the heavy guitar when he sings "Now I'm breathing...ect.) If anything it has more traditional goth aspects. Some of the effects remind me of bauhaus, and the basslines are more gothesque.