Viva Emptiness review @ blistering.com

I agree. I've never thought that they were ever a black metal band. But if you look at the pictures of Katatonia back in JEM-days, they very much have that black metal look in their appearance.:devil: But everyone can label early Katatonia to be anything they want. Main point is still that their music ruled already back then.:headbang:

it's not a bad review, at least it's positive...about them calling early Katatonia black metal, i can see the reasoning in that. On the first album, jonas sang in a black metal shreeky style plus their music has been very cold and depressing and people liken that to black metal music. it's no big deal, but to get the point straight, it's wasn't black metal

Well, the vocals on the first demo and album have some BM feeleng, but that's was about every swedish band at that time. Just take Eucharist, At The Gates, Dark Tranquility etc. They all had BM touch in the vocals... Maybe the dude is fooled by the make up image, axes, spikes... But we have the same situation like with that finn band Unholy. If you see Unholy pictures from their early era you will say that band plays unholy black metal... but they were simply funeral doom band.