Viva 'Viva Emptiness'?

May 27, 2001
Viva Emptiness still hasn't grown on me since its release :(
The only tracks I listen to once in a while are Burn the Remembrance and the last three ones. Anyone else having this problems or am I just too fixated on the sound of the Discouraged Ones - Last Fair... period?

I too think it's clearly the weakest, but that doesn't mean it's not worth listening to. the lyrics I mostly like. Ghost of the sun is a bad example tho, imo its prolly the worst Kata lyrics I can think of at the moment.

Viva is my second favourite Katatonia album... I really really like it :tickled:

Has anyone bought brave yesterdays... I think I will buy it next month

my dying groom said:
Viva Emptiness still hasn't grown on me since its release :(
The only tracks I listen to once in a while are Burn the Remembrance and the last three ones. Anyone else having this problems or am I just too fixated on the sound of the Discouraged Ones - Last Fair... period?

Same shit. I love the album, bu it's too depressive for me. It really unleashes all fuckin fears in me, so i listen to it seldom. My favorite is LFDGD - it's much more lyric, it has more light, hope and and even happiness. I just can't live without DEAL.

I like Viva, but in a completely different way than the previous ones. It's a bit more angry and dark than depressing to me, and I can't say I mind it. This band likes to keep changing a bit, now I just can't wait for the next one :D

im never really into lyrics period...that being said, i think viva is a quality album...not my favorite...perhaps my least favorite katatonia release...but still a great record...which says something i think.

yeah, same here man,
i just listen to
"ghost of the sun"
"criminals"
"will i arrive"
"evidence"
and
"omerta"

and i'm almost exhausted now...

but as far as it concerns to last fair deal gone down...
i listen to all the songs again...and again...and again...!!!

ialokin said:
I too think it's clearly the weakest, but that doesn't mean it's not worth listening to. the lyrics I mostly like. Ghost of the sun is a bad example tho, imo its prolly the worst Kata lyrics I can think of at the moment.

these are the best lyrics they have ever written... because they reflect reality :erk: and the adequate reaction/emotion towards a well known bastard...

Do you know who exactly the "Ghost Of The Sun" is?

Viva is an excellent album and I still listen to it regularly, though it's probably in the middle of the catalogue as far as rankings. The lyrics continue their tradition of being easy to identify with and abstract at the same time, and the music perfectly captures the feeling of paranoia and persecution that are the dominant themes on VE.

viva emptiness is the best katatonia album to date. the production is the best and same for the lyrics. depressing turns to angry, i'm-not-gonna-stand-it-anymore, in-your-face kind of thing which can be only a plus. you can hear the most kata influences through viva and the only better kata album than viva will be the next one.

btw do you know the new Disarmonia mundi album "Fragments Of D-Generation"?

Just to take a look at the "Predator´s Portrait"... :)

No.

I have the same problem as the starter of this thread, just can't really get into the album. There are a couple of great songs ("A Premonition", "Burn The Remembrance", "Criminals", "Omerta"...), but as a whole it can't convince me.

I can't believe you can say the production is their best so far, cause that's the main problem of this album. LFDGD has the ultimate Katatonia production, it's got heaviness, warmth, depth and power, all of which are missing in VE's sound, it's too flat/mechanical and buzzy.

I really hope they will opt for a warmer sound with the next album again.

I think VE songs are great and really powerful live (that's one of the reason I'm seeing so many Katatonia gigs...), but as a whole the album seems to be a little bit cold and monochrome, well at least it doesn't move me as Discoraged ones or LFDGD do. I think VE simply "rocks" more than the previous albums, even if it still maintains the gloomy and bleak mood typical of Katatonia.

Lyrically, I can't get into it completely, it's maybe too much abstract...but when I think about the colour of the layout, the word itself "emptiness", all the atmosphere that comes up from the lyrics and music creates in my mind this kind of images and sensations....which perfectly match with the words "apathy" and "catatonic".

MadTinus said:
I really hope they will opt for a warmer sound with the next album again.

the production on LFDGD is muddy. the vox and the drums are much louder than the guitars.

on VE you can everything crystal clear.

the only thing I respect more about LFDGD is that the drums are recorded more 'live', and on VE they are triggered.