viva emptiness compared to the other albums

EvilGenius said:
I can't off the top of my head name a band that reminds me of Tool. Théy're so unique that any inspired or rip-off band would catch my attention and make me think of Tool.

Check out a sydney band called Cog. They seem to have some tool influence in their compositions without being as lengthy or ambiguous as Tool. I wouldn't say they're a cheap ripoff, as they've got their own style...worth checking out actually.

I really don't like Tool, at all. I totally agree with the person who said they wander aimlessly. I may have said this on this board before, can't remember, but I think Tool just decide they're going to write a song that's 7 minutes long and then they go ahead and prolong it to fill the time. Bore me to tears. And yes, I've listened to them, my brother has all the albums. I don't like them.

That said, the new Katatonia album is awesome. Which means any Tool-isms are kept to a minimum, and certainly if there is some influence from the band in the new album, then the worst qualities of Tool aren't there. This album is pure Katatonia anyway, and that's that. So far I think I'd rate it in the middle. Definitely better than Last Fair Deal Gone Down, but it's not their best.

well the day finally came.

i purchased viva today and im not dissapointed.

its brilliant.

love the song "burn the remembrance".

these guys should be massive, its a shame only a privilaged few will get to enjoy this, another masterpiece.

cant wait for the gig now.

Cutter said:
Check out a sydney band called Cog. They seem to have some tool influence in their compositions without being as lengthy or ambiguous as Tool. I wouldn't say they're a cheap ripoff, as they've got their own style...worth checking out actually.

COG are awesome, I have seen them about 6 times, hugely talented and the Drummer Shreds!!!!!!!!!!
Yes they exude Tool influence, but Katatonia do not for mine, maybe I am blind but Tool being my fave band along with Opeth are worlds apart from Katatonia!

VE is definetly the best work Katatonia have put together. It has the sorrow coupled with the darkness they have come to be known for, as well as some more upbeat aggressive tracks that showcase a 'wall' of sound that in no way subtracts from their style. It only serves to add to it. Top notch album, beginning to end.

i am really disappointed about the new stuff. after their last two fantastic releases katatonia have now thrown overboard everything i liked on "tonight's..." and "last fair...". actually i can't really tell what changed but there is simply no mindblowing songs on the album any more

Emotionally its very close to Discouraged ones i think. It has the same monotone flooding that rises you on a trip till the album sounds off.
But also its absolutely different from all other Records...especially that typical Katatonia Guitar Sounds arent the same anymore, and the Album hast a lot of aggression too.
Well, but @Wanderer: The album is katatonic...it is damned katatonic....its has these Silence and these sudden Breaks of Aggression and Resignation as well.
Hmmm...I could write and write, but its still so difficult to explain how Viva Emptiness sounds at all. Everyone who wants to get a real impression, has to listen it a lot of times.

In these ways, "We die...We all..."

Concerning Tool, I enjoy their music, to a degree. But, I must admit, I too, find them to be awfully repetitive & "dull" in places. As someone stated, it really does appear sometimes, that they simply wish to "fill" 7-8 minutes of music simply for length's sake.

for me VE is just a great move for Katatonia to get back to metal music once again!
What is the most important, they stay themselves...
Brilliant album of endless sadness...

My Mum ask me when she first heard VE: 'Does your guy (Jonas) have anything possitive to say here??? 5 more minutes and I will kill myself!!!' She is power and black metal fan dancing only with december souls...

For this anxiety, anger, helplessness and melancholy I love it!

im disappointed about viva emptiness because it doesnt sound like katatonia. theres a difference between VE and the old albums. its not katatonic enough. the music and the rythms are monotone and boring.
my top 5 katatonia album:
tonights decision
discouraged ones
last fair deal gone down
viva emptiness / jhva elohim..

It took a few listens for me get in but now I think it´s great. Although I think LFDGD is their best, maybe VE is not so even. But anyway, many great songs there and it´s definately not a let down.

As stated before, I think the new album is awesome, but can't decide yet where to place them in comparison with the older albums. Beeing a big TOOL fan myself, I agree that there are TOOL influences there. Not particularly noticeable, though.

Regarding TOOL's "lengtyness": I got that impression about Lateralus the first time I heard it, but the album grew on me, and now it's one my absolute favourties. Give the music some time. Be patient.

For other great "lengthy" music, try Sigur Ros. :zzz:

Well, i'm not sure if it makes any sense trying to compare albums of Katatonia...each of them is a unique masterpiece for itself. The only thing to say would be: Its much harder and more rough than they did with all albums since "Sounds of Decay".

Regarding TOOL's "lengtyness": I got that impression about Lateralus the first time I heard it, but the album grew on me, and now it's one my absolute favourties

Well yeah, that length I think provides listeners with a sense of stability in the chaoticness. Its not for the meek at heart needless to say.
Viva Emptiness is increddible, Omerta & Evidence have become no doubts my favorite Katatonias of all time.