Viva 'Viva Emptiness'?

IMO I think that Viva Emptiness was lyrically the worst album Katatonia has produced, and in some sense... a bit different than their last albums... it's more raw....

Bah. VE is the best album from the clean-voice era after DO.. And lyrically it's the best album this far.. LFDGD is their weakest CD imho.

Well, that's how I see it :)

Take care.

discouraged1 said:
the production on LFDGD is muddy. the vox and the drums are much louder than the guitars.
it brings special atmosphere and drive. And it's original. Fuckin metal is very touching, but i like unexpected steps=) And i can't believe drums are all you love in LFDCD, you liar!:tickled: I remember your Delight about it when it was just released:D

so i've noticed that every time only when the next Katatonia album is released the previous one begin truly to grow on me and take its part inside of me. to get very close to VE seems to be kinda unreal to me still, maybe because of its heavy, abstract coldness, but i love it and couldn't listen to it otherwise than without stopping for a breath.

I must tell you all the story of me and Discouraged ones.

So I was all death metal and hardcore. I had BMD and thought it was the shit. So when DO came out I bought it expecting more of the same. I listened to the first song and dismissed it as some radio friendly bullshit and I threw it on the floor of my car for about 8 months. During those 8 months I was getting really deep into drug addiction again and I was seriously depressed. One day I was cleaning out my car and I found it and listened to the whole thing. I couldnt believe how I had missed such a great thing before. It was a constant in my cd player untill my friends took it away from me because they thought I would kill myself while listening to it.
The meaning of my story is that you will like it when the time is right for you. I had to be ready to recieve DO. I could not force myself into it.

Then again maybe you just dont like it. Thats ok, but I think that the way they are going we will have more releases from them in the VIVA vein.

Anthony said:
And i can't believe drums are all you love in LFDCD, you liar!:tickled: I remember your Delight about it when it was just released:D

so you're one of the surviviors heh? :) i can't remember you... but you're right, i was delighted as hell when LFDGD came out - i mean, delighted so much that i joined the forum then and wanted to share the feelings with all of ppl here.. :wave:

but when viva came into my hands.. i was pretty anxious, scared even, but when put it on.. it blew my brains off. and still does. a bloody masterpiece.
i love all K. releases, and every each one of them reminds me of some special period in my life..

i know, i bored to death with pathetic words and sentimentalism.. but he made me do it! :loco:

cheerZ

MadTinus said:
. LFDGD has the ultimate Katatonia production, it's got heaviness, warmth, depth and power,
Absolutely. You're spot on here, as far as my experience of the album is concerned.

'Viva Emptiness' is a huge grower for me. I remember the first time I heard it I really wasn't all that impressed apart from the obvious great tracks 'Criminals' and 'Evidence' etc. Since then it's become an amazing release for me. Not the best, but certainly up there.

The lyrics are great and I've overcome my feeling that the production is too commercial sounding. I think it really suits the album now. But it's no 'LFDGD'... :cool:

I listened to viva for the first time and didn't see the special spark in it. It grew, but not too much. then i went through a bad spot in life and it seemed quite good. then life was alright again and things went on. I didn't listen to much katatonia. Then one night i went out for a walk and had viva emptiness, and I felt that the power in it was totally amazing. It's a different album than the rest, and can't really be compared on the same scales. apples and oranges... all fruits, but different. I personally just fuckin love LFDGD and VE, but need to pick up TD and maybe DO

my dying groom said:
Viva Emptiness still hasn't grown on me since its release :(
The only tracks I listen to once in a while are Burn the Remembrance and the last three ones. Anyone else having this problems or am I just too fixated on the sound of the Discouraged Ones - Last Fair... period?

you're a katatonia fan trying too hard to like one of their albums.. that's it
don't like it, leave it aside and play the ones you really like..
:Spin:

VE was the first Katatonia album I heard (some guy online was playing one of the songs from it over a microphone chat, I think it was "Criminals"...) , and I thought it was one of the best albums ever and I loved it immediately (I find it funny all the releases everybody says had to "grow" on them, I adore first time I hear it...) but when I started going through the previous releases, VE has a very different tone to me, but it's still as good as the first time I heard it...

I understand why everyone might be down on it production wise which is fine, even though the SONGS are too good to be worrying about production.

One thing I didn't like about earlier releases was the clean tone. It sounded rather flat and "twangy" at times, but on VE is sounds great, as you can tell on some songs like "A Premonition"...

my dying groom said:
Viva Emptiness still hasn't grown on me since its release :(

I have the same feeling , Their music used to be simple but very angry at times , simple riffs , basic drumbeats , and maybe bacause of that , it used to sound like a pressure bomb ready to explode.

Now they're not like that anymore , their music seems to have other purposes , I hope they didn't feel like they had to sound like somebody else cause they weren't good enough before.

Which Katatonia album I like at any particular time depends on my mood. The bleakness of Discouraged Ones has particularly appealed to me lately. It's been several months since Viva was my favorite. A few weeks ago it was Brave Murder Day. Just give Viva a chance, you'll get back into it.

How can some of you say Viva Emptiness is the most depressing album? I think its the least depressing album they have made. It kind of feels cold, but not sad in any way. It's not my favo album, but lyrically it is the most interesting. And the guitars fits better with the vocals than the previous albums, plus Jonas Renkse's voice has grown, like it or not.

Viva was the first Katatonia album I got (actually only a few months ago), I bought it because it was cheap, and because I wanted to check them out. At first I didn't really like it, but it grew on me, and now I love most of the songs. I don't really like the lyrics though...