Possible to hate Viva Emptiness, and like everything else?

Anything is possible, but probable not. It sounds to me as if he isn't thinking clearly or may have formed a decision not necessarily based on the Music so much as of a personal decision for one reason or another. I’ve felt the same way about other single albums from other bands with a long catalogue of beloved albums and it's usually because I was expecting something else or had side blinds on.

hugot said:
MadTinus:

I first heard katatonia on brave murder day, and then they never played like that again, and that sound has a cult status here there and everywhere, then DO and tonight's decision had the same vibe, just different production, then LFDGD was a progression from the latter two, and then another one on VE and TGCD, it's not only about falling in love, im sure you've heard all those different stages and still love them... it is also a matter of taste.. aaaah tastes....

o' this is what really makes message boards interesting... how people relate to things, it is always about personal experience and opinions... me loves that!
That's also right, I started all the way from the beginning, with Jhva Elohim Meth and Dance Of December Souls and I still love them, I went along with their entire development. Pretty much the same for me with Sentenced, Anathema and Paradise Lost who also went through a pretty radical development.

But for instance with In Flames, I like In Flames for what they did on Subterranean, The Jester Race and Whoracle and from then on they changed into a direction which didn't do anything for me anymore, they dropped all the elements which I loved them for and which made me an In Flames fan in the first place.

For me it's somehow similar with VE. For me LFDGD epitomized everything I loved about Katatonia, especially sound- (Sunlight sound = Katatonia sound, warm and organic) and mood-wise. On VE many of those elements are missing, again especially soundwise (cold and clinical).

It still happens often that you tend to compare everything by a band to the first album you heard by them. But of course it can also happen that you hear one album by a band, you don't really like it and then you check out their other stuff and you turn out to love it!

To me LFDGD is the ultimate Katatonia album. The computer-free sunlight production filled with vibes and atmosphere, just gotta dig it. As a second album I would put VE though, the production is far inferior to LFDGD, but includes some very nice songwriting. Their latest album is sadly my lleast favorite in most terms, überstiff production and not that interesting songwriting, the only thing that rocks about TGCD is Jonas vocals, which could be considered flawless. Inbetween my faves and TGCD all albums are in tie position as #3