Viva Emptiness / first impressions

voidhead

space cadet
Feb 14, 2003
Hellsinki
voidhead.deviantart.com
Here we go...

I've been now listening to the album for a week and a half and I have to say that this was definitely their hardest album to get into. Maybe I was just biased and waiting for them to re-write LFDGD or something... I guess it's good that way, it's a lot more rewarding when an album finally opens up after repeated listens. For me, it took a week and a half, a couple of bonghits last night and... oh well, not important. Anyway, Viva Emptiness is an incredible album! The band has definitely added yet another aspect to their music and... well, I might give out a more detailed look into the album later. I'll have to put my CD-player on shuffle and check out the songs individually. As a whole, this album is excellent!

Viva Emptiness seems to be their overall most "aggressive" album in a long while, as promised. They've added some pretty neat twists to their music, have you been listening to Tool lately, Anders & co.? And I definitely mean this in the most positive sense. Y'know, not that they've copied the American gods or anything... Somehow the overall feel of the album is a lot more bitter and angry as opposed to the sadness and hopelessness of the previous albums. It seems that Katatonia has moved into a bit more riff-based direction and cut away on the leads, hence the added heaviness? Massive guitar sound, I also loved the very live-sounding drums, excellent contrast! Somehow Katatonia has always had a fabulous drumsound, always very natural. Gotta love that. That snare is almost punky! There's a lot of nice little details that are a bit buried in the mix, this is an album you have to LISTEN to and not just have it playing in the background...

Some pretty dark stuff here, fucking heavy and definitely Katatonia.

To round things up, I'll give you two words. Head. Phones.

-Petri

I spoke with Mike from Opeth yesterday and he said that "Viva Emptiness" is something quite different from LFDGD and he added that this is Katatonia's best album ever (of course!)...
We must be patient and wait for the release date...but I trust it will be another masterpiece!

I heard from one friend that the song "Criminals" is the best Katatonia's song of ever...and the 5 first songs are all singles...

Voidhead confirm this?

Sorry for my weak english...

KiNo.

Well, that's a matter of opinion... "Criminals" has an INCREDIBLE chorus and is a massive song but I wouldn't go as far as to call it their crowning moment... Whether the 5 first songs will be singles, I doubt that very much. So how about it, Anders? Five singles from the new album? Guess not.

Petri

Thanks for your comment...i will listen the albummm noowww!! sniff!! heheh :(

The best song for you is Criminals? any song with the "spirit" of Discouraged Ones..."Deadhouse" or "Relention"? thanks.

KiNo.

Personally I find Tool very boring. Totally long and drawn out songs that seem to be of the school of "ok, track 6 is going to be 8 minutes long, let's go write it". So I hope the Tool comparisons are not terribly valid. I'm a bit disappointed to hear they've dropped the leads for the most part. But, I am not letting myself get disappointed without hearing it, haha. The Evidence sample sounded great. I can't wait for this album.

Originally posted by voidhead
Here we go...

I've been now listening to the album for a week and a half and I have to say that this was definitely their hardest album to get into. Maybe I was just biased and waiting for them to re-write LFDGD or something... I guess it's good that way, it's a lot more rewarding when an album finally opens up after repeated listens. For me, it took a week and a half, a couple of bonghits last night and... oh well, not important. Anyway, Viva Emptiness is an incredible album! The band has definitely added yet another aspect to their music and... well, I might give out a more detailed look into the album later. I'll have to put my CD-player on shuffle and check out the songs individually. As a whole, this album is excellent!

Viva Emptiness seems to be their overall most "aggressive" album in a long while, as promised. They've added some pretty neat twists to their music, have you been listening to Tool lately, Anders & co.? And I definitely mean this in the most positive sense. Y'know, not that they've copied the American gods or anything... Somehow the overall feel of the album is a lot more bitter and angry as opposed to the sadness and hopelessness of the previous albums. It seems that Katatonia has moved into a bit more riff-based direction and cut away on the leads, hence the added heaviness? Massive guitar sound, I also loved the very live-sounding drums, excellent contrast! Somehow Katatonia has always had a fabulous drumsound, always very natural. Gotta love that. That snare is almost punky! There's a lot of nice little details that are a bit buried in the mix, this is an album you have to LISTEN to and not just have it playing in the background...

Some pretty dark stuff here, fucking heavy and definitely Katatonia.

To round things up, I'll give you two words. Head. Phones.

-Petri

AFAIK one or more members have listened to Tool lately, yes. I think the drumsound is awful on BMD, but otherwise great.

I fucking love it, its incredible, Criminals is awesome. I love the lyrical content, telling stories, Katatonia never ceases to amaze me. Anders, your guitar playing is an inventive and as colorful as ever! Jonas your voice has matured so much, great fucking album guys!

Originally posted by Cerulean
You know what I hate? When people ignore the questions like 'where did you find/get that?'

I got it as a promo from Peaceville. So there. I haven't been in front of a computer all weekend, 'cause I don't have one at home. So your question was not ignored. Have patience, young padawan...

Originally posted by alejandro
Petri Eskelinen? thats why he's heard it.

Uhh... What's that supposed to mean?

About those Tool comparisons, I'm not saying Katatonia sounds like them, I'm only saying there are some stylistic similarities. Certain riffs (the second riff in "Sleeper", for example) have echoes of what Tool has done. Katatonia have NOT gone prog, fear not. It's still Katatonia.

And btw, if this message looks weird or something, I'm a newbie and I'm still kinda learning how to use this damn thing...

-Petri