How do you rank Viva Emptiness in the Katatonia discography?

batmura

Sea of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2001
www.seaoftranquility.org
If you were to rank it in their catalog, how would Viva Emptiness do? It's the only Katatonia disc I don't own. I love Last Fair Deal Gone Down but my favourites from their post-BMD period are definitely their last two.

I'd rank it at the bottom, but don't listen to me cos no one else will agree :)

At the bottom, really? Is the production that bad for some people?

I'd rank it high, has some of my favourite songs (Complicity, Ghost of the Sun, Will I Arrive).

I don't care that much about production. I'm just REALLY sensitive to cheesiness, and VE is overly cheesy to me (I CANNOT listen to Omerta), and the lyrics bother me a lot. I like a couple of songs but that's it.

The best moment on the album (for me) is the last part of Evidence, but I can't just sit through a whole cd of mediocrity to get there :p

I´m with Cerulean here..
it is by far the least good album from them.

Like i said when it was released.
Had VE been the first album i ever heard from katatonia, i probably would have disgarded them as ok, but nothing more.

and just to add to the future flaming, I consider TGCD to be second worst. :)

I still like it a lot because it was the first metal album I ever bought.

The guitars have a very nice tone to it making it sound as grey as the cover. No longer my fav album but still good.

I'd rank it almost the last. One above DODS...and that's because i really really don't like DODS as opposed to the other albums.
I was grinding VE on my stereo for a long time during 2005-2007. I have a warm spot for it despite it being as others put it "cold". I needed cold music, it was what i needed for the phase i was going through

I don't care that much about production. I'm just REALLY sensitive to cheesiness, and VE is overly cheesy to me

If you think that's cheese then you must have mountains of nacho cheese dripping out your ears after you get done listening to the first two records.

It lacks warmth, it lacks what Katatonia's music needs to come across well i.m.o. It sounds too clinical and too little analogue.
So what do you think about TGCD production wise?

Anyhow, Viva is easily one of their top albums.

Probably towards the bottom but yea I only listen to the first 4 and a few tracks off the new one anyway..

I'd probably rank it somewhere near the bottom. I think most of the songs are pretty good but the shitty mix kinda kills it. I think if the band did a remix of it and made it sound similar to what The Great Cold Distance sounds like, it would go up way higher.

One thing I'm glad Jonas ditched on the last two album is the swearing. Not that it offends me, but it's just not necessary...especially for a band like Katatonia. It makes their otherwise very mature songs sound immature. It's a shame there's so much of it on Viva Emptiness.

If you think that's cheese then you must have mountains of nacho cheese dripping out your ears after you get done listening to the first two records.

Would say that them are two completely differently kinds of cheese. Screaming that your fucking god is dead and the fucking lie in Ghost of The Sun is.. not the same. Cheese it may be.

It is consistently my first or second favourite from them. I think every track is solid. Also, Evidence is definitely one of my favourite Katatonia tracks.

You will have to explain the cheese argument.