How do you rank Viva Emptiness in the Katatonia discography?

Of the post brave murder day albums, it's by far the best - every song on that has it's own distinct identity but somehow the album has an interlocking theme (if not lyrically than definetly musically) it's by far the most bitter, angry and cold album katatonia has put out.

I'm also a big fan of the production, as I raved on another thread.

Dunno about it being the best Katatonia album. But I certainly agree with most of your post.

this was the first kjatatonia album i ever purchased along with TD....and for the longest time i hated it.

TD got all the plays. Somewhere along the line it grew a bit so now I like it, but I can't say it's great.

I really don't know where it ranks for me.

when you love someone or something you dont want it to change right? so I just love it the way it is :)

Production is a lil raw and some riffs are a little bit fillerish in nature, but all in all there's still heaps of top quallity songwriting and some of there coolest orchestration ideas. Goes in below last fair deal, but I think its on par with TD, NitND, DO and BMD, all good and very different releases. And definately better than TGC, the only kata album I find sub-par.

Viva is so unique. an absolute essential part of the discography, but prob not in my top 3
1. great cold distance
2. tonights decision
3. Brave murder day
4. viva emptiness
5. dance of december souls (havent listened recently, why i ranked so low)

no last fair or DO?!?

my ranking atm:

* 1999 Tonight’s Decision
* 1996 Brave Murder Day
* 2006 The Great Cold Distance
* 2009 Night Is the new Day
* 2001 Last Fair Deal Gone Down
* 2003 Viva Emptiness
* 1993 Dance of December Souls
* 1998 Discouraged Ones

but threads like that are pointless. i find it interesting though that you all hate VE

Viva is so unique. an absolute essential part of the discography, but prob not in my top 3

no last fair or DO?!?

can't say i like either album, i doubt i could even name one song i took so little interest in them

ive always heard DO being highly regarded, and maybe i just need to give it another listen, but for now...its probably in last place

Discouraged Ones
Brave Murder Day
Sounds of Decay ep
Dance of December Souls
Last Fair Deal Gone Down
The Great Cold Distance
Night is the New Day
Viva Emptiness
Tonight's Decision

depending on my current mood Brave Murder Day is first sometimes as well. TD is always last.

^welcome :)

haha i guess ill have to try and force my way through those two albums then, i like to think i respect all your musical tastes

cept all those people in that HIM thread :lol:

VE & DO are my favorites. The rest are a tie (yes even DODS) except for TD. I don't know what it is about that album, I just can't get super into it.

^welcome :)

haha i guess ill have to try and force my way through those two albums then, i like to think i respect all your musical tastes

cept all those people in that HIM thread :lol:

wow, just thought that someone who chose godly isolation years to be a user name would like the equally dark and deppressing Discouraged Ones.

^haha, thanks :), i'll try and live up to it more, i'll have to give DO one more try, i've been in a katatonia mood all week :)

OOOOH BLASPHEMY!

hey so i listened to the last fair deal gown down today, it gave me this odd feeling the entire time, maybe... out of place or something, so for that i dont really like it :p, but i'll recognise that it is great....for the same reason....i can possibly see myself warming up to it....most of my favorite albums i didnt like when i first heard them...oddly

most of my favorite albums i didnt like when i first heard them...oddly

That happens to me as well, mainly with certain tracks though. I would rather not totally enjoy something and then love it than really enjoy it the first time, expect it to be awesome the next time and then I never get the same feeling from the first listen.

my ranking atm:

* 1999 Tonight’s Decision
* 1996 Brave Murder Day
* 2006 The Great Cold Distance
* 2009 Night Is the new Day
* 2001 Last Fair Deal Gone Down
* 2003 Viva Emptiness
* 1993 Dance of December Souls
* 1998 Discouraged Ones

but threads like that are pointless. i find it interesting though that you all hate VE

This list I made after I listened to every album and thought hard on it.

1.Viva Emptiness
2.The Great Cold Distance
3.Brave Murder Day
4.Night is the new day
5.Tonights Decision
6.Last fair deal gone down
7.Discouarged ones
8.Dance of december soul

i rank viva very high.

it followed the natural progression the katz had brave->discouraged->tonight->lfdgd->viva

i didn't care so much for the production at the time it came out as for the IDEA they had, the arrangements, the newfound heaviness vs. cure-y/portisheadish sound etc.

1.discouraged ones
2.tonight's decision
3.last fair deal gone down
4.viva emptiness
5.brave murder day
6.the great cold distance
7.night is the new day
8.dance of december souls