Viva 'Viva Emptiness'?

When I first heard a couple of songs from Viva Emptiness, I wasn't too taken with it. The production, as you've said, was different from what the previous releases sounded like. And some of the riffs and lyrics just seemed difficult for me to appreciate. I was slightly disappointed and wasn't looking forward as much to hearing the whole thing.....

And then one of those funny instances happened for me, where I finally did listen to the whole thing, and the more I listened to it, the more I grew to love it. And not only love it, but I too feel that it is their best album to date. Sometimes when something is different from what you expect or have come to know from a band, you tend to dislike it and have a hard time accepting it. But when it's done right, and the change is for the better, you find yourself gradually learning to appreciate it and see it for what it is, and not for what it isn't, I guess.

The production on this album is stellar. The guitars have been dubbed "too nu-metal sounding" by some, but I disagree. I think they're powerful but still clear and moody. The drum sound is one of my favorite sounds to date. The lyrics took a while to sink in with me, but now I think they're utterly brilliant. One of the few albums in recent history where I actually know every word by heart. Overall, the band forged ahead with a fresh production sound, some new musicial ideas, etc., without losing the edge and mood that I'd want from a Katatonia album. It's a shame you can't seem to get into it more, but that's the thing about music, it affects and impresses upon people in all different ways.

I love VE... I even stole it from Jinn... Haven't stopped listening to it since
It's addictive o_O

'Last Fair Deal Gone Fucking Down' is addictive. 'Viva Emptiness' is a just a great atmospheric album.

I hate to sound like a fanboy, but I really love everything that Katatonia has ever released. "Viva" is no exception; I actually thought it was the best album of last year. It seems that they had regained the focus that had been temporarily lost on "LFDGD", and presented it with a level of drama and immediacy that was completely new to their sound. The lyrical perspective was in a narrative, almost cinematic style that was a clear departure from the more personal musings of their earlier work. It'll be really interesting to see where they will go from here.

Lion in a Cage said:
Haha! Don't worry too much about it. Probably in a couple of years Jonas will say it's the shittest inlay they've done.:)

I read an interview with Jonas in Metal Maniacs and he said they did it just for fun. He said that just because the music is serious, that doesn't mean you have to take the band seriously constantly.

And as for not liking VE, I that's just because the guitar melodies are gone, making this album sound heavier. The vocals are the melody. I personally like this album, and I don't find it too depressing (LFDGD is depressing to me). I'd assume that they will bring back the guitar melodies to some extent in the future. All in all, though, this album is very much Katatonia.

katatonia_are_gods said:
He said that just because the music is serious, that doesn't mean you have to take the band seriously constantly.
hasselhoff_thumbsup.jpg

Wealth

Cool night gave my truth for a lie
Will you be here when I try
I'm not set cannot do it yet
Will you be here when I try
Our wealth breeds emptiness
Another day to compress

My lips are dry you gave me drugs to try
Hold me when I die
The sky has frozen to a wall
We die we all

A perfect text!!!

I really enjoy Viva... especially when I'm sad, or angry I'm just more receptive for all the emotions it transmits and feel it in a more intensive way...

well tuned down to C and got a whole lot more active.. Its a decent album.. Im still entranced with TD...
Its the simplicity that made me fall in love with Katatonia.. In Viva theres about 40 fucking layers going on at a given moment.