Singers that are just dreadful!

SoundMaster

Jan 20, 2002
"the flower & willow world"
Visit site
There really do seem to be many popular metal bands with singers whose voices are just plain dreadful. And I'm not referring to death metal. Instead, I'm speaking of bands where there is actual singing, but it's just awful.

Moy votes for the worst voices in metal:

1) Ray Alder - Fates Warning.
His wretched voice has ruined practically everything they've released since the departure of Jon Arch.

2) James LaBrie - Dream Theater.
Ok, if these guys are so talented, why the HELL did they settle for this dreadful ogre?

3) Gene Simmons - Kiss.
He's a much better capitalist than crooner.

4) Ripper Owens - Iced Earth / Priest.
I still can't believe that people compare him to Halford. He has NONE of the
qualtities of subtleness that Halford often employed. Can you imagine Ripper trying to sing "Before the Dawn"? NO.

5) Paul Stanley - Kiss.
Well, it could be worse....he's not as bad as Gene.

Who do you place in this category?

The High Mistress Queen Priestess Goddess of the High Unholy Unhallowed Evil Church of the Infallible and Artistic Otep. (Read: The lead singer of Otep) Quite possibly the worst voice I've ever heard. She makes Janis Joplin sound like Tarja (Nightwish).

Kristian Wallin of Rising Faith. I can't stand it. Bad band... bad singer. Everytime I hear this band, I wonder, "Why the hell did Limb sign them?"

Agreed on James LaBrie. HE SOUNDS LIKE A GOD DAMN WOMAN.

Snake from Voivod sings like Van fucking Morrison or someone equally pathetic. And you call this thrash metal? Fuck that.

Joacim Cans from Hammerfall is possibly the whiniest, pussiest, most annoying power metal singer in history. Five times as bad as post-Keeper I Kiske (who was pretty crappy in his own right). Ugh.

Ralf Scheepers. Good voice, WORST VOCAL MELODIES EVER. Couldn't carry a tune in a sealed radioactive containment capsule, let alone a bucket.

Mikael Akerfeldt, Opeth. Not only are his growls without force and his clean vocals completely boring and lifeless, he BREATHES into the GODDAMN MIC. On studio recordings. Jesus shit. Well, at least there's some annoying gasping noises to break the monotony of his uninspired drone.

That oughta do for now.

Tim Owens is a mindblowingly good vocalist. But I do agree that he's not very good at being subtle, he's much more suited for shrieking his ass off and tearing face. Which obviously isn't a bad thing. :kickass:

Now, for vocalists I can't stand:

Warrel Dane: He was awesome in Sanctuary, he turned into the bastard child of Peter Steele and Jonathan Davis in Nevermore. (lmao, sorry Hawk :cry: )

I second Mikael Akerfeldt. Same with Andre Matos.

Warrell Dane needs to learn how to sing on key again. He could when he was in Sanctuary. What the hell happened? Dani Filth....jesus H. Christ, can you get any more annoying!?!?!? Wait, yes you can! Tom DeLong of Blink 182! Just....shut....the....fuck....up. Please.

SoundMaster said:
Moy votes for the worst voices in metal:

1) Ray Alder - Fates Warning.

Dunno, he sounds fabulous to me, at least on Parallels...

2) James LaBrie - Dream Theater.

He's the weakest link in the band, that's for sure. Too thin...

4) Ripper Owens - Iced Earth / Priest.

He's okay to me, but I don't like him as Barlow's replacement that much.

Who do you place in this category?

Joacim Cans (squeaky powerless whiny mouse), Andre Matos (can be pretty annoying with the sounds he produces as if someone constantly pinches him), the singer from Destillery is always off key, a good amount of "power" metal vocalists for being castrated girlies without identity of their own...

As for Hansi, he may not be the nicest sounding singer in the world, but I find him to be very expressive and an expert in layering vocals Queen-style. I cannot imagine someone not being touched by vocals in Demons and Wizards' "Fiddler On The Green", it's so emotional... Then again, it's all about tastes. I know people who dislike Accept only because they can't stand Udo's growling voice. And some of them like Grave Digger, go figure... :)

Udo
King Diamond
Warrel Dane
Matt Barlow
Ray Alder
John Arch
Paul Baloff
Zetro Souza
Chris Boltendahl
Mille Petrozza (except on "Endorama")
Claudio O'Connor
David Lee Roth
All growlers
All screechers

I'm gonna say Chris Barnes from SFU because I'd be a huge fan of their music if not for his Cookie Monster vox

I love him, but VINCE NEIL sucks as far as vocal skills go....."Friday night...huff hufff ack...fight....motorcycle...huff....knife"

Dave Mustaine - I love megadeth so I forgive him but Dave tries to sing too "tough" in my opinion. "Hello me...it's me again" gives me chills because I'm so embarrassed for the guy.

But then again, I like Lyle Lovett.

Dani Filth.

On the James LaBrie thing. His vocals match the music, but there is soo much that they do in the studio that they can't do it all live so sometimes his voice just can't hack it. I'm suprised that no one said Geddy Lee with the mention of James. I however like both their voices.

IcedMadness said:
Dani Filth.

On the James LaBrie thing. His vocals match the music, but there is soo much that they do in the studio that they can't do it all live so sometimes his voice just can't hack it. I'm suprised that no one said Geddy Lee with the mention of James. I however like both their voices.
Yes, Geddy Lee is awful, as well.

So too is Dave Mustaine. I actually forgot how bad he was/is.

Vince Neil-What a waste of skin that mother fucker is these days...
Paul Baloff-I won't cut down the dead, but I was never a fan. R.I.P.
Mark (S)Laughter-This guy's got his sack in a vice. I have no respect for a guy that would whore himself out to do cartoon voice overs. I would rather pump gas than do that!!!!!!
Lee Ving-This guy sang?!
Scott Weiland-No range at all...
more to come...

For the record I do like James La Brie, I have all DT albums, plus his solo albums, plus "Leonardo - The Absolute Man" project, plus Ayreon - "The Human Equation". From all those I still believe that Ayreon and his olo project is where he shines the most.
No, he's not the most accomplished singer, but he's not as crappy as the ones in my list (muahahahahaha).

I do like Mustaine vocals, especially in the old albums. And as for Geddy Lee he's probably among the best singers ever in classic metal/rock. No one can do his awsome work in "2112" and "A Farawell To Kings".

Also Tim Owens is a great singer, and no one is comparing him with Rob Halford. He has his own distinctive voice, he did his job in JP and is not his fault the terrible composition by Tipton.

And finally Hansi Kursch, a singer that "shocked" me in the beginning, accustomed to higher pitched vocals in power metal. But now his voice and great harmonies are among my preferred ones both in Bling Guardian as well as Demon & Wizards.

But to each his own :D

I can't think of any metal singer that I consider dreadful..
But for non metal I would have to say every pop-punk singer (I'm still convinced that they're all the same guy..) and Les Claypool (The man sounds like a fuckin' chipmonk singing underwater.. Most annoying singer EVER) and every rapper.. Although I wouldn't call that singing..