Where the Fuck are you from! :-D

Greeno said:
Trixxi - Is Australian football the game with the guys in long white coats at the end of the field? There is 2 or 3 tall poles at the at the goal line? If that's it then that's one wacky game!! I've seen bits of games before, cool stuff.
Yep that's the one! They are Goal Umpires at the end, they judge whether a "goal" or "behind" was kicked.

A goal is if it was kicked through straight through the 2 tall posts in the middle, and worth 6 points. A behind is if its either kicked between a middle tall post and the smaller outside post, or if its hits the tall post, or if its rushed through the goal line by hand instead of by foot. A behind is worth one point haha.

Basically there's 18 players per team, they have free reign to run where they want but have positions they play, and they have to bounce the ball every 10 metres they run (you may have noticed the fields are HUGE for Aussie football lol), and they can either kick the ball or "handpass" it when is where you punch it out of one hand with the other fist. You can't throw it.

If a player catches the ball after it has been kicked (this is called a Mark) then play can stop for him if he wants, the opponent has to stand where he caught it and can't go forward and the guy with the ball has time to look around and try to set up a play and kick it where he wants, or take a set kick for goal. If he wants though he can also just choose to play on and keep running. Taking marks is one of the kinda entertaining highlights of the game. Kinda like a slam dunk in basketball I spose. They jump up and sometimes leap up on someone else's back to get higher and take a big spectacular mark haha. Also if you mark before the end siren you still get your time to take a set shot at goal.

And free kicks are awarded to the other team if you do things like push someone in the back (you have to tackle from the front or side), hold someone back when they don't have the ball, keep holding the ball when you get tackled (you gotta get rid of it straight away), kick it out of bounds, stuff like that.

The other interesting thing is that the clock counts UP instead of down. There are 20 minutes a quarter, but time does stop for out of bounds, free kicks and goals... however the time on the screen at the venue doesn't actually stop, it just gets recorded and added on to the end of the quarter. This is so that you actually don't know when the siren is gonna go! So it makes the end of games very interesting when 31 minutes have already been played in the last quarter and there's a few points in it and you don't know when the siren is gonna go.

JonnyD said:
How does Criket work I'v tried to watch it and almost passed out :loco:
There are 2 kinds of matches. Test matches and One Day matches.

Basically in cricket, a bowler bowls 6 balls per "over" to the batsman. There are 2 batsmen on the field at a time, one at each end. When they hit the ball, they can run so the other batsman might end up at the crease to face the next ball. If he hits it all the way to a boundary fence it's 4 runs and if he hits is over the fence without bouncing first it's 6 runs.

The batsmen go out if:
- Caught: A fielder catches them out
- Bowled: The bowler hits the wicket (the 3 wooden things behind the batsman) with the ball
- Leg Before Wicket: the batsman blocks the ball with his leg pad and the umpire thinks it would have hit the wicket
- Stumped or Run Out: A fielder knocks the wicket while the batsman is out of his crease from running or something.

There are 11 players per team, so because there has to be 2 on the field, once 10 go out, the innings is over and the team is all out for that particular amount of runs.

The difference between a Test and One Day match is that a test runs for 5 days, with both teams playing 2 innings each, and an unlimited number of "overs" (the series of 6 balls a bowler bowls). Usually a team scores about 350 runs per innings.

A one day match takes place in one day, each team only bats one innings and its limited to 50 overs, so generally its faster paced and the teams have to hit out faster and take more risks to get a big score rather than take their time and block the ball. Usually 200-250 is a pretty good score for your innings.

It's played in heaps of countries.... really big in England, Australia, India, African countries, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, New Zealand, the West Indies, etc. Mainly countries that are or were once part of the British empire because its an English sport.

:lol: I reckon baseball is confusing! They are actually very similar except the scoring of runs is different and its a different field etc. But its generally the same - 2 teams, one bats trying to make runs and one fields trying to get them out before they make many runs.

Trixxi - Man, Your football sounds cool! I wish ESPN still showed it here... they used to late at night. The couple times I watched it I liked it but had no idea of what was going on, and ESPN never explained how it was played.

JonnyD said:
Thats great man! glad I'm not the only one ... well sinner likes it too but anyway :) ... Who do you root for? I tend to go for whoever is the underdog

Yanks.... go ahead, give me shit. :) I live close to Baltimore so I get to see allot of AL East games, besides the D-Rays it's a great division to watch.

In the NL I like the Cards.

Trixxi Trash said:
I don't even get that Vikings comment. Are they a sports team there or something? :lol:

Anyway, I'm from Melbourne, Australia. Great city!

/QUOTE]

That's an American thing..... you wouldn;t understand. It's a tackle football team, the Minnesota Vikings. >:p~

Bryant

JonnyD said:
Thats great man! glad I'm not the only one ... well sinner likes it too but anyway :) ... Who do you root for? I tend to go for whoever is the underdog

Yep, sure do! The only sports I get really into are Football and Baseball. Hockey's great but I just don't find myself watching or following teams. The Twins game are not on a local channel anymore so, I havent been following them either, it sucks. Sports give you something to follow and look forward to like now the drafts, in football. Baseball is too long of a season with like 160 something games, personally I look forward to the NFL season. I'm not much a Vikings fan, I root for the Steelers or Raiders. JD you have one of the best teams in the league over there, with one of the best quarterbacks, Brady. They need to quit winning the damn bowl.

I'm from Beacon, NY - about an hour and 30 minute train ride north of NYC, and right on the Hudson River...nice and peaceful - until I crank up my bass and guitar...

Likes: Agressive, melodic and well executed music, tattoos, hot peppers and Harleys (to name a few)

Dislikes: Political correctness at the expense of dealing with facts, regardless of how unpopular they may be, liars, posers, people who can't hold their booze and clueless drivers...

Sinner Rider said:
Yep, sure do! The only sports I get really into are Football and Baseball. Hockey's great but I just don't find myself watching or following teams. The Twins game are not on a local channel anymore so, I havent been following them either, it sucks. Sports give you something to follow and look forward to like now the drafts, in football. Baseball is too long of a season with like 160 something games, personally I look forward to the NFL season. I'm not much a Vikings fan, I root for the Steelers or Raiders. JD you have one of the best teams in the league over there, with one of the best quarterbacks, Brady. They need to quit winning the damn bowl.

hahhahaha yeah we do I'm not much of a football guy but even I cant help but watch the Pats... they were losers for so many years! and they can make a comefrom behind Victory look awsome its hard to explain since most NE teams are really bad hahahahahahaha

Greeno said:
Yanks.... go ahead, give me shit. :) I live close to Baltimore so I get to see allot of AL East games, besides the D-Rays it's a great division to watch.

In the NL I like the Cards.

Yanks fan huh? hahahaha how did you like the pounding the SOX handed out to them last week :loco: ..... I dont really have a favorite team useually I will root for whoever is facing the yanks in the series hahaha but yeah your right the AL East is really good this year!

Trixxi Trash said:
:lol: I reckon baseball is confusing! They are actually very similar except the scoring of runs is different and its a different field etc. But its generally the same - 2 teams, one bats trying to make runs and one fields trying to get them out before they make many runs.

hahahahhaa Americans totally Raped Criket to make Baseball we just simplified it a bit

Haha baldy, yeah Australia is easily the best cricket team in the world. Nobody can beat us :D Though India gave us a bit of a run for our money this summer! We still kicked their ass though, especially in the one day series. I haven't been to the cricket in years. I used to go to one-day matches at the MCG sometimes (and tests a couple of times), and sit in Bay 13 with all the yobs haha. There'd be about 100 arrests in that section every time for reckless behaviour and stuff hahaha, they've really tried to put a stop to that now! I remember watching cricket as a kid in the '80s though, those one-day matches were out of control here! Cricket is such a big part of Aussie culture here in summer haha.

I don't actually follow rugby. It's weird in Australia, you see in NSW and Queensland it's really big, but in Victoria nobody plays it, we didn't even have a team in the national league in Victoria until a few years ago. It was always rugby in NSW and Queensland, and Aussie football in Victoria, Western Australia and South Australia. The Australian Football League actually only used to have Victorian teams. Now it's a national league, but still 10 out of the 16 teams in the league are from Victoria, and 9 of them are from Melbourne! Where other states have 1 team per major city, Melbourne alone has 9 teams all just from inner suburbs close to each other! It's really the footy centre of Australia here I think, we get like 80,000 people at games which is pretty damn big considering the population is probably only a tenth of major cities in America. (I heard New York City's population is the same as all of Australia!) So yeah, there really isn't much rugby in Melbourne! I don't even really know anything about it!

JonnyD said:
Yanks fan huh? hahahaha how did you like the pounding the SOX handed out to them last week :loco: .....

Don't look now, but guess who's tied with the Sox for first.... :D

Thankfully for me I'm not actually a SOX fan hahahahahaha I just know yankee fans dont like the SOX cause there better or somethin hahaha I'v been watching the Giants this year myself they aint doing so hot but ya never know Bonds has a great bat!