Bands you don't "get."

Platinum Maze said:
Savatage - I do like some stuff, mostly Hall & Gutter
Living Colour
Tesla

interesting.....very, very interesting * this of course done in the style of that comedian from Laugh-In (yeah..completely dates self here!)

at least you play some Savatage, and choice one's at that!

Living colour I have the tape. They were good for their time and I couldn't tell you if they did a follow up.

Tesla, well I'm at a complete loss for words, if you don't get em ya don't but it just seems like such an easy thing to do. Down home rock-n-roll!

I keep trying and trying to get into the death vox, but like TSO said it must have melody. But then again I suppose with death metal it's not supposed to be "pretty"...too bad, I might just like it then. :dopey:

kittybeast said:
interesting.....very, very interesting * this of course done in the style of that comedian from Laugh-In (yeah..completely dates self here!)

at least you play some Savatage, and choice one's at that!

Living colour I have the tape. They were good for their time and I couldn't tell you if they did a follow up.

Tesla, well I'm at a complete loss for words, if you don't get em ya don't but it just seems like such an easy thing to do. Down home rock-n-roll!

I keep trying and trying to get into the death vox, but like TSO said it must have melody. But then again I suppose with death metal it's not supposed to be "pretty"...too bad, I might just like it then. :dopey:

Yow, Laugh In indeed. I doubt there are many here that know that show Kitty. How about Love American Style? Geez, you're really diggin' in the archives there!

Bands that got lots of fame that I never was big into....

GNR.. cool band (original lineup) with their own vibe but horrible vocals.
Nevermore... I have many intelligent metal friends into these guys, but they do absolutely nothing for me. Vocals are pretty poor.
Judas Priest... love their guitar sound, but the rythm section is a little dry and I am not a big fan of Rob.
Dreamscape/Circus Maximus.... these guys are somewhat popular in the prog genre but both sound a little DT generic for me.
Pain of Salvation/Green Carnation/Tea Party.... three very unique progish style bands that have received rave reviews, but I can't tolerate them.
MOD/SOD/Exodus.... I love classic thrash, but I like vocalists with a little sense of melody.
Symphony X..... great vocalst, excellent guitarist (though he has an aweful tone) but mostly boring songs.

Bryant

kittybeast said:
Thanks for confirmation Kitty! And I agree death metal's not supposed to be pretty, and that's fine with me. What I don't agree with is their argument that growling is the ONLY vox that fits the music. Seems to me that Overkill and Anthrax pretty much proved that actual singing and aggressive metal fit pretty damn good, and that was almost 20 years ago. How this overexposed "vocals from the garbage can of Oscar the Grouch" style of singing became popular and accepted is beyond me.

Probably a brainchild of the 90s, and another blemish on the face of metal.

Bryant said:
Dreamscape.... these guys are somewhat popular in the prog genre but both sound a little DT generic for me.

I still get a chuckle when I think of the Preparty this year ... Dreamscape had just finished and Bryant or was it Vryant? came up to me and said "JD I know you love these guys ..... but I fuckin hate em" :D

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
Thanks for confirmation Kitty! And I agree death metal's not supposed to be pretty, and that's fine with me. What I don't agree with is their argument that growling is the ONLY vox that fits the music. Seems to me that Overkill and Anthrax pretty much proved that actual singing and aggressive metal fit pretty damn good, and that was almost 20 years ago. How this overexposed "vocals from the garbage can of Oscar the Grouch" style of singing became popular and accepted is beyond me.

There's some new bands that combine death vox in with clean. The two that I like -- Scar Symmetry and Into Eternity -- also have pretty melodic music to finish out the package. I'm not a death vox fan by any means and mostly agree with your stance.

I guess I'll add my 2 cents here. I am going to say Kamelot. They just plain bore me to death. I just seen them for the second time Friday night and it didn't help any. I figured I would give them another shot and support them. It's not like they tour everyday and we actually ended up leaving early.

On the death vocal thing, I wouldn't call myself a huge fan of it but Opeth is the band I am currently listening to the most lately. Just seen them last night and we didn't leave early for them!:D I don't care for the older style death vocals, I call them grunters. You can't understand anything as opposed to bands like Opeth and Into Eternity, where I can understand most of the words and it flows with the music. Hard to explain, but there is a difference. A band like Napalm Death, I don't care for. The music is OK, but a whole album of that vocal style turns me off.

I seem to like many singers/vocalists that alot of people seem to hate. Some of my favorites are Jon Oliva, Dave Mustaine, James Labrie. I also love some of the more popular ones like Geoff Tate, Rob Halford, Jeff Kieth, Sting. I am pretty much all over the spectrum...I don't know what the hell is wrong with me???:Spin: I will say this...I listen to the music first, the vocals are just another instrument for me. There are different styles, tones, etc.

It's all all a matter of opinion and taste. You either like it or don't. Oh yeah, what was the question again? The answer was Kamelot.:cool:

ElectricWiz said:
Yow, Laugh In indeed. I doubt there are many here that know that show Kitty. How about Love American Style? Geez, you're really diggin' in the archives there!

my oh my! Love American style....I remember waiting up until midnight for that show to come on, that and Don Kirshner's Rock Show.:headbang:

Kitty, I forgot to mention that I do like the first 2 Tesla albums (love the 1st one). Just lost interest after that........Signs kind of ruined it.

I'm not/was never a huge fan of death vocals either, but as Bryant said, there are just some bands that do it right, and those bands - I guess - are different for everyone. Opeth and Into Eternity, IMO, are two of those bands. Let's not forget that there's plenty of people who don't like too much sappiness in their prog vocals. Bands like Spock's Beard, Magnitude 9, Shadow Gallery, DT, & PoS do nothing for me, largely because the vocals have no balls.

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:

I like death/grind vocals. They fit the music and its intention to be as aggressive and raw as possible. And yes, it gets stupid when some people believe that "angrier and heavier" the vocals are the better. I guess some nu-metal and now metalcore bands caught on to trying to do vocals like that.

Singing can work with aggressive metal. Like early Metallica for example.

Wheezer said:
There's some new bands that combine death vox in with clean. The two that I like -- Scar Symmetry and Into Eternity -- also have pretty melodic music to finish out the package. I'm not a death vox fan by any means and mostly agree with your stance.
Yeah, that's why I said I've learned to "tolerate" the growling, Wheez. If the album contains only partial death vocals, I've learned to live with it. But I can't stomach any album that growls all the way through. One of my favorite bands, Orphaned Land, have a mix of clean/death vox. This I can handle...grudgingly!

Platinum Maze said:
anything Zakk Wylde does
is it just me, or on Mafia did Zakk just give up and take an Ozzy pill? Honestly, that's the best Ozzy impression I've heard....but that's exactly what it is, is an impression. Stick to guitar Zakk.

Platinum Maze said:
Yeah, too much growling is bad. Bands like Mortician and Six Feet Under I don't "get."

Agreed, Six Feet Under is like the blue print for what bands should never be or do. Incredibly the most boring death metal on the face of the planet.

MURAI said:
I like death/grind vocals. They fit the music and its intention to be as aggressive and raw as possible. And yes, it gets stupid when some people believe that "angrier and heavier" the vocals are the better. I guess some nu-metal and now metalcore bands caught on to trying to do vocals like that.

Singing can work with aggressive metal. Like early Metallica for example.
Very true, MURAI, and I don't have a problem with gruff vocals, ala Hetfield, Jon Oliva, Rolf from Running Wild. With them, there is a semblance of melody in their roughness. That's fine with me. It's the overdone grunting and puking into the microphone that bothers me. Where they are basically screaming for one sole purpose, to be offensive as possible. And even that I wouldn't mind so much, if it wasn't just about EVERYWHERE I turn. Take Headbanger's Ball for example. Egads man, nearly every band on there has that style of singing...it's overkill IMO.

NP: Megadeth - Greatest Hits

ElectricWiz said:
I like the obvious ones like The Wall, and some of the older psychedelic stuff. Also The Final Cut, the sequal to the wall - I think I'm the only one who likes that.

Most probably, I got the album for some time and finally got rid of it, I can stand it!

I love PF between "Atom Heart Mother" and "Animals" and like afterwards (excluding TFC). I understand many people can't dig them, I particularly don't dig their early material and like any band has to be an acquired taste ;)

Platinum Maze said:
I think age is a big factor in the whole Maiden/Priest/Scorps thing mentioned earlier. Hypothetically, I can't expect Johnny D to like the same stuff that I did when I was 16, when he's like 10 years younger than me. I'm sure there are plenty of exceptions, but it's a huge factor......

You are mostly right here .... 11 years ago when I was 16 I was listening to Pantera, Blaze Maiden, Megadeth, Ripper Priest , OVERKILL, Testament, Flotsam & Jetsam, Anthrax, Belladonna, Motley Crue ... so mostly old bands that I got ALOT of shit from my class mates for listening to which ofcourse I didnt care ... But it was mostly the 90's albums by these bands that I loved ... you old guys can crab* about the 90's and it was bad I was a teenage metalhead in the thick of that dreary decade but it wasnt all bad if you compare it to what everybody else listened to at the time Rap/Grunge/Alternative and I still love those albums to this day ... could alot of these 90's albums be considered classics ... probably not by the older generation but for me they are ... they are the soundtrack of my youth

*Yes I am Picking on the oldies :lol: