Good Canadian traditional and thrash/speed metal from the 80's.

Half_Can

Jul 8, 2016
Good Canadian metal from the 80's, eh? Let's list some bands:

Anvil
Helix
Exciter
Razor
Voivod
Kick Axe
Annihilator

I own releases in my collection of all of these bands. I'm from Canada myself and it's great the we got some good metal out there back then. If anyone else knows good 80's Canadian metal post it here. I'm familiar with some Canadian death metal like Gorguts, Cryptopsy, Kataklysm and Martyr, but that style just isn't my bag. When it comes to death metal I'm more into stuff like Possessed, Death, Autopsy and Obituary, but these guys aren't Canadian so......anyone else have any other bands they know of to list?

Reactions: CiG
From the 80's strictly:

Black Knight
Sword
Wicked Angel
Witchkiller
Savage Steel
Rush :p

Not that "old":

Ultimatum

Modern:

Betrayer
Final Stage
Ascendia
Axxion
Savage Blade
Forgotten Tales
Striker
Blood Ceremony (OK, more occult rock than metal)

From the classic era, Sword, Witchkiller and Deaf Dealer come highly recommended.

I'm not going to pimp my own band, but Betrayer are local and they are highly recommended.
If you're looking for pure thrash, check out Arkayic Revolt - Maniacal Infestation.

Reactions: Wyvern
Halfway Can, I would highly recommend 2 books if you're into Canadian metal from the 80s. The first is Metal on Ice, which covers everyone from Anvil to Exciter to Helix and many others. The second is Anvil's biography. Chalk full of some astounding stories.