Video Clip Of 80's News Report About Metal

aqnimal

Aug 15, 2004
Scottsdale, AZ
Here's a clip of a news report with Barbara Walters about Heavy Metal that was done in the 80's. It's quite interesting. They go around to schools and talk to kids about metal, parents talk, Tipper has her say, etc.
Amazing how many adult people thought the 80's was out of control (the world in general) and how all these bad influences were around. Ironic that nowadays we are exposed to 100 times more stuff than we ever were in the 80's (tv, internet, email propoganda, etc). Also ironic, besides of the Dubrow drug example, that most of the problem people today are not metal heads or bands, but actors, rappers, and pop stars....Anyway,thought you guys and gals might want to see this. Watch part two also (link will be on the right, it has some rough parts as someone must have transfered this from an old VHS), but it is a "nice" view of what we grew up with....

This subforum being dedicated to mostly 80's bands, I thought this would be appropriate here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen this before. It's quite interesting. They make heavy metal out to be such a horrible thing in that video. It just shows you how popular it was back then.

I had this very report on VHS for years. I remember when it aired. Like all the other metal kids though, I didn't watch for the journalism aspect; rather, I watched 'cause I knew they were gonna have footage of Maiden etc. Haha. It seems as if it comes from the dark ages to watch it now. There should be a second part to that video on Youtube. It was a bit longer than what is shown here.

Wow... the first time I've ever seen this...
I never really knew what a bleak outlook everyone had on the metalheads from the day. I don't see why. Heavy Metal is awesome. I love how they try to demonize Maiden. They show them as the number one influence, etc. It's funny, because I really love that band.
'Tipper Gore friggin ruined everything...' my dad says. lol

I had this very report on VHS for years. I remember when it aired. Like all the other metal kids though, I didn't watch for the journalism aspect; rather, I watched 'cause I knew they were gonna have footage of Maiden etc. Haha. It seems as if it comes from the dark ages to watch it now. There should be a second part to that video on Youtube. It was a bit longer than what is shown here.

There is a second part- it's right in the column on the right hand side of the video with the other related vids.

I went to a church youth group meeting in the mid 80's and they were collecting heavy metal records, magazines, and tapes to burn. I got in a lot of trouble when I asked if there was any way I could have some of them since they were just going to wreck them. I then plotted to steal them until I realized I had no way to get them back home and I would be the prime suspect when a pile of stuff went missing.

I went to a church youth group meeting in the mid 80's and they were collecting heavy metal records, magazines, and tapes to burn. I got in a lot of trouble when I asked if there was any way I could have some of them since they were just going to wreck them. I then plotted to steal them until I realized I had no way to get them back home and I would be the prime suspect when a pile of stuff went missing.

We demonized the Nazis for burning books...how is burning a record any different? I've never understood the logic behind that.

Yeah, people have been ripping on metal ever since the first time Ozzy sang "Black Sabbath". In fact he did a concert at the Civic Center here in February 1983, and the Daytona Avenue Baptist Church got up a petition to keep him from coming. They were collecting sigs at Northwoods Mall with albums by Ozzy, Iron Maiden, and a couple other bands to apparently show how "evil" rock music was(The church had had the Peters Brothers there back in 1980 doing a sermon called "What the Devil is wrong with Rock Music?" where they ripped on AC/DC, Queen, the Village People, Ted Nugent, KISS, etc..).

I dressed up real conservative one night and went up like I was gonna sign the petition. One of my friends was with me and told the preacher collecting the signatures there that "Ozzy does say God bless you", and the preacher said "That's his god, not the God of the Bible". Little did they suspect however that I had a trick pen- the kind that squirts ink all over. I got ink all over the front page and it seeped thru about 2-4 pages(I forget exactly how many). I could tell by the expression on the preacher's face that he wanted to say a cuss word or two, but he didn't. Suffice it to say that he was definitely NOT a happy camper.

Another friend of mine wrote a letter to the Journal Star defending Ozzy's right to come here, that it was free speech. Well the church sent a couple people over to his house to talk to him about it, and his dad, a fundie himself, made him listen to their drivel- they called him a "Warlock", among other things.

The night of the concert, there were people outside protesting, one carrying a huge cross, saying "I gave up rick music for the Rock of Ages", and another handing out fliers or pamphlets, saying "I have something here that doesn't cost $13.50". My friend said "I sure hope that scrap of paper doesn't cost that much".

, I watched 'cause I knew they were gonna have footage of Maiden etc.

I used to do the same thing, my parents bought me a book called "Rock Music: The right to know", in there were pictures of album covers and endless quotes from bands and lyrics. Everyone were evil from Alan Parsons right through to ZZ Top,
I cut out all the pictures of the cool bands for my homework books.
g015.gif

Haha yeah those were funny times trying to deal with Tipper and the PMRC. Funny thing is, in the pile they were planning to burn, there were Stryper records. o_O Just goes to show you the level of ignorance...

Well, any fanatic, regardless of what colors (s)he flies, is a waste of life and oxygen... Where's that stupid cow now anyway? I'd bet she's well paid for some kind of lame "job" under the excuse of "national importance". :puke:

Ah the memories. I remember all that stuff like it was yesterday. Man, the 80s were AWESOME!!!!!! Not 'cause of tipper whore and her idiot group, but because the Metal was SO fresh, and SO just friggin GREAT!!!

If I had a time machine...

Cheers!
:headbang::headbang::headbang:

Ah the memories. I remember all that stuff like it was yesterday. Man, the 80s were AWESOME!!!!!! Not 'cause of tipper whore and her idiot group, but because the Metal was SO fresh, and SO just friggin GREAT!!!

I agree there was more respect for the fans too, today you can't go to a frigging concert with a camera, spikes, chains and God knows how many other prohibitions, it's metal for crying out loud not a fucking mass in the church :mad:

I grew up in the south during the 80s and after I went to school with a Motley Crue tape (to impress all my little snotty friends of course), a teacher gave me a religious book called The Devil's Disciples. It was written by some Christian nut that apparently used to be into metal and claimed to have all this insider knowledge on how metal was evil. HA!

That book RULED. It introduced me to W.A.S.P., Iron Maiden, Piledriver, etc...

A book warning me against the evils of metal bands basically pointed me in the right direction. Baaahahaha!

:headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

"This is called moshing"
Definitely the best part of the clip haha.
I'm in the same boat as some other people who have posted in this thread. Seeing this clip, and all the others, makes me wish I had've been around back then. This video was made over a year before I was even born.