The Top 500 Heavy Metal Albums of all Time

Metal-X

May 19, 2004
San Antonio
Has anyone picked up the book entitled "The top 500 Heavy Metal Albums of all Time" by Martin Popoff? I just recently purchased it. It is a pretty good book. The book was put together based on a large worldwide poll.
Symphony X appears once for Divine Wings of Tragedy #447. Other mentionables are Stratovarius "Visions" #218 "Episode" #418. There are 7 Savatage albums listed. Rush is on there 8 times. Rhapsody "Symphony of Enchanted Lands" #330, "Legendary Tales" #382, "Dawn of Victory" #396. Iced Earth is on there for "Something Wicked this way Comes" #167, "Horror Show" #253, "The Dark Saga" #264. Helloween "Keeper Part 2" #36, "Keeper Part 1" #89, "Walls of Jericho" #142, "Better than Raw" #159. Dream Theater has 4 albums on there, their first three, and Scenes from a Memory. Crimson Glory "Transcendence" was #88. Avantasia "The Metal Opera 1" was #462.
Those are just a few. Again, it is a good book. I do have a few criticisms, but overall good.

I'm surprised Symphony X made it to a book in the first place. Every time I see those metal books in stores, I optimistically open them up only to be disappointed to find page after page about Slipknot and Linkin Park.

Keep in mind the results were from a poll, so people voted on these albums. This is a good book, I have seen many bad ones. Almost every album has an interview with a band member speaking about the album. Also certain band members give their top tens (like Bruce Dickinson, Dio, Jens Johansson, to name a few).
Yngwie was on for "Rising Force" #101, "Marching Out" #245, and "Trilogy" #293. No Becker. However, Vai's "Passion and Warfare" is #479 and "Sex and Religion" is #378.
Dream Theater's "Images and Words" #47, Scenes from a Memory" #160, "Awake" #231, "WDADU" #467.
I also forgot earlier Angra's "Angel's Cry" #252 and "Holy Land" #424. And Blind Guardian's ther for "Imaginations from the Other Side" #98 and "NIME" #163. Gamma Ray "Land of the Free" #187.
And I forgot to mention who's #1 ...... Master of Puppets.

Bullshit. Anyone who makes that kind of list is an idiot. We remember the "Top 100 Metal Guitarists of All Time", right? If DWOT is #447 then there is a major problem. There are good albums, but most should be 100-300 spaces better.

I'd pick this up. I have one of his other books, The Encyclopedia of Heavy Metal, which has something like 8000 album reviews (I can't find it right now so these numbers are guesses, I think it's packed away). It only has albums pre-1996, but it is very inclusive. He has a tendency to show a lot of love for his personal preferences (and pure hatred towards others - see Triumph), and sometimes he overdoes it. Very cool reading though. I always like to check out how many cds I own that make these lists.:headbang:

Just a couple IMO's; I think Vai's PAW is better than SAR, and I've always liked Keeper 1 better. :worship:

Platinum Maze said:
I'd pick this up. I have one of his other books, The Encyclopedia of Heavy Metal, which has something like 8000 album reviews (I can't find it right now so these numbers are guesses, I think it's packed away). It only has albums pre-1996, but it is very inclusive. He has a tendency to show a lot of love for his personal preferences (and pure hatred towards others - see Triumph), and sometimes he overdoes it. Very cool reading though. I always like to check out how many cds I own that make these lists.:headbang:

Just a couple IMO's; I think Vai's PAW is better than SAR, and I've always liked Keeper 1 better. :worship:

I've always hated Sex and Religion! I don't like it when they have those books and they put non-metal bands in their. Triumph is not metal, a great rock band but not metal!

I'm surprised Symphony X made it to a book in the first place. Every time I see those metal books in stores, I optimistically open them up only to be disappointed to find page after page about Slipknot and Linkin Park.

I would have been surprised until I found a few Symphony X albums at a chain bookstore, although that may have been courtesy of the guy behind the counter with the Opeth shirt...

I'm surprised by the 7 Savatage albums and the 8 Rush albums. Rush most undoubtly aren't metal. You gave a lot of prog/power numbers, but is this list covering every corner of the metal scene? Their must be some Death stuff in the top 20 and maybe some Opeth somewhere around too

Thanks for the info dude, I'll pick this book up if it is available here.

dargormudshark said:
I've always hated Sex and Religion! I don't like it when they have those books and they put non-metal bands in their. Triumph is not metal, a great rock band but not metal!
Yeah, I could never get into Sex and Religion, also because I'm not a fan of Devin.

I guess the title of that book I have is deceiving. It has albums from all genres...hard rock, metal, glam, classic rock, death, thrash, etc.