THE TRAGICALLY HIP - Canadian Rock

TribunalRecords

Record Label(s)/Vocalist
Sep 12, 2007
www.tribunalrecords.net
I have been a fan of these guys since probably the mid-90's when a co-worker turned me onto their album Fully Completely. I find myself drawn to rock bands with great lyrics, and not necessarily the best lead singer. This to me helps with bands being unique and there really is no band like The Tragically Hip.

They definitely lost me for several albums releasing some stuff i just couldn't get into. The did one recently with Bob Rock at the helm that was pretty damn good. A new one was just released but I haven't had time to check it out.

This is one of my favorite songs simply because, lyrically, it has NO CHORUS and no structure other than him telling a story through the entire song. Other than "Red Barchetta" by Rush this could be one of my favorite songs, lyrically. Absolutely chilling (to me).

Last edited by a moderator:
A new song is playing on the radio alot up here right now and I quite like it.
I never listen to the radio unless the wife is in the car with me but they're one of those bands that i don't mind at all when they come on. I own Up To Here and Road Apples on cassette but never listen to them.
This may sound odd but there's something comforting about them from a cultural standpoint. I can't really explain it but they sorta epitomize or reflect Canadian culture so when I hear them, i'm reminded i'm Canadian and that we have our own identity as a country. Stupid I know but that's how I feel.

A new song is playing on the radio alot up here right now and I quite like it.
I never listen to the radio unless the wife is in the car with me but they're one of those bands that i don't mind at all when they come on. I own Up To Here and Road Apples on cassette but never listen to them.
This may sound odd but there's something comforting about them from a cultural standpoint. I can't really explain it but they sorta epitomize or reflect Canadian culture so when I hear them, i'm reminded i'm Canadian and that we have our own identity as a country. Stupid I know but that's how I feel.

Great band to reflect a country. Their first 5 releases are ALL amazing rock albums. "Fifty Mission Cap" definitely makes me think of Canada when it comes on. Simply for the lyric talking about "the last time the Leafs won the cup" But it's band like that who write stories for songs and tell interesting tales that always keep my attention. Another great song lyrically is "38 Years" but honestly they have so many it's hard to pick one.

Never actually heard this band although i do know who they are. Based on our kindred love for great lyrics written by great Canadian artists (Matt Good), I will be checking this out.

Anvil
Triumph
Devin Townsend
Matthew Good
Sacrifice
Voivod
Exciter

Not too bad...

Great band to reflect a country. Their first 5 releases are ALL amazing rock albums. "Fifty Mission Cap" definitely makes me think of Canada when it comes on. Simply for the lyric talking about "the last time the Leafs won the cup" But it's band like that who write stories for songs and tell interesting tales that always keep my attention. Another great song lyrically is "38 Years" but honestly they have so many it's hard to pick one.

Stompin' Tom Conners is another musician that's Canadian through and through. he's got tons of albums and I think every single song is about Canada:lol:. google him if you don't know who he is...quite a character to see live.

If picking ONE country as my favorite when it comes to musical output, then Canada is number one. Razor, Sacrifice, Annihilator, Voivod, Obliveon, DBC, Infernäl Mäjesty, Piledriver, Rush, Saga, Woods of Ypres, Overthrow, Armoros, Anvil, Exciter, Weapon, Cryptopsy, Blasphemy, Neil Young, Heart, Triumph, Aldo Nova and so on! There's just something about those Canadian bands that I absolutely love!

If picking ONE country as my favorite when it comes to musical output, then Canada is number one. Razor, Sacrifice, Annihilator, Voivod, Obliveon, DBC, Infernäl Mäjesty, Piledriver, Rush, Saga, Woods of Ypres, Overthrow, Armoros, Anvil, Exciter, Weapon, Cryptopsy, Blasphemy, Neil Young, Heart, Triumph, Aldo Nova and so on! There's just something about those Canadian bands that I absolutely love!

That's cool. You forgot Celine Dion and Ann Murray though.