THE TYRANT appreciation thread

Fangface

Child of the Damned
Jan 25, 2002
France
www.fangface.com
Now it's time to tell how much you love Tyrant's vocals and style of singing! ;)

To my mind Harry is one of the best Heavy Metal singers ever and obviously one of the most underrated, IMO he belongs to the dream team with Dio, Dickinson, Halford, Tate and all the classic Metal voices. Not only he can sing anything, but he's also an awesome frontman!
I also think that his style has matured over the years, I do love his out-of-this-world shouts and screams on Ample Destruction, but now he's also able to express more diverse emotions, which contributes to Jag Panzer's greatness.
Favorite Tyrant's performances (with Jag Panzer only) :

The Crucifix (this unforgettable intro...)
Three Voices of Fate (killer vocals from start to finish)
Warfare (the screams!)
She Waits (great vocal melodies)
Unworthy (Harry and the monks hehe, awesome!)
Future Shock
Chain of Command
Reign of the Tyrants (now that's POWER)
All Things Renewed (beautiful ballad)
and many more...

He has the most METAL voice ever
if steel was singing, the voice would come out of Harry's mouth.
favourite moments:
The Crucifix (of course)
Symphony Of Terror (Nosferatu is his NAAAAAME)
the Chain Of Command chorus
Shadow Thief

Easily one of the best vocalists in metal...there's not many who touch him
The guy doesn't even warm up before gigs! At least when I talked with him in in Hollywood.His range is absolutley ridiculous and very diverse.His high stuff is mindblowing and some of the vocals melodies he creates are just godlike.

Anyhow on to the favorite "Tyrant" lines

"Raise the flag let the Iron Eagle Sooooaaaaaarrr" (Iron Eagle)
"Hearts are dry it's time they burn" (The Crucifix)
All of "Reign Of The Tyrants" it just flat out kills
Intro to "Tragedy Of Macbeth" beautiful
The chorus to "Symphony Of Terror" Didn't know someone could make the word "Nosferatu" sound so fuckin cool

Im gonna be here all day if I don't stop...
So Iam stopping :D

Zac

Harry is THE MAN!! I liked him the moment I first heard him. One of the best vocalists of the entire metal scene. Harry I salute you HAIL

Zac said:
Easily one of the best vocalists in metal...there's not many who touch him
The guy doesn't even warm up before gigs! At least when I talked with him in in Hollywood.His range is absolutley ridiculous and very diverse.His high stuff is mindblowing and some of the vocals melodies he creates are just godlike.

Anyhow on to the favorite "Tyrant" lines

"Raise the flag let the Iron Eagle Sooooaaaaaarrr" (Iron Eagle)
"Hearts are dry it's time they burn" (The Crucifix)
All of "Reign Of The Tyrants" it just flat out kills
Intro to "Tragedy Of Macbeth" beautiful
The chorus to "Symphony Of Terror" Didn't know someone could make the word "Nosferatu" sound so fuckin cool

Im gonna be here all day if I don't stop...
So Iam stopping :D

Zac

Zac, you are right about Harry not warming up before gigs. In a book entitled 'pro secrets of heavy rock singing' harry says that his warm-ups have diminished over the years to the point where he barely does it anymore. He just checks to make sure his voice is there, if it isn't then he warms up.
We have to get him on here so that he reads what his fans think of him!

It's time everybody posts in this thread and say how much they love The Tyrant, then, maybe he will come on and post with us!! His voice is mind boggling. IMO he has taken the best of the 3 'best' metal singers of all time: Dio, Halford and Dickinson, and blended 'em together to create the voice he now has.
In addition to this, he is the only singer that I can say this about: His voice gets better with each release. He was good on Ample Destruction, but when you listen to his voice on decade, its just like WOW! HIs name is right up there with the guys I listed before. THE TYRANT RULES!

Hmm, it seems I haven't posted in this one yet. Well, I agree with everyone above anyway: Harry is amazing.

:OMG: <-- Me listening to Unworthy for the first time

There's not many vocalists out there who can keep their voice in such top condition for 20 frickin' years in a row. I mean, just listen to Ample Destruction and then Decade. One could think that the vocal performances were recorded the very same day!

CauldronBorn said:
We have to get him on here so that he reads what his fans think of him!

As nice as it would be to have Harry on the board...I really don't know if that would happen.Mark,John and Rikard are most likely to read the boards.
Chris and Harry very well could stop by and Iam not saying they wont,but it's more likely the other 3 will be here

I think it's time to bring this thread back. After listening to the new album about 10 times, it is clear to see that Harry just keeps getting better and better. Harry gets better with every album and in a live situation his voice is just awesome. At first, I was like "whoa he really changed his vocal style on this album" but I grew to love it and appreciate his voice even more.

I love the part towards the end of Precipice where he hits the high note on the very EDGEEEEEEEEE.. What a perfect way to finish the album.

That's all I had to say...what a killer album. Oh I have to ask, did Harry drop his TYRANT nickname?

Harry's voice is killer. I have heard lots of Halford/Dickinson/Tate imitators, but no one can pull off what Harry does...he sings with such power, emotion and range. He's definitely the most underated singer ever. Fangface's list of highlights is dead on...3 Voices of Fate in particular just rules.

Never has a singers voice resonated with me so well than Harry Conklin's. His voice is completely fucking amazing, right up there with Halford and Dickinson.

BTW, how old is Harry? He seems like Dio, where he just gets better and better as he ages. :headbang:

My mother-in-law appreciates the Tyrant!

Harry and I have children the same age. He brought his kids to my twins birthday party 2 nights ago. My mother-in-law came down a big slide and was getting up slowly. Harry ran over and helped her up.

Very nice of him!

Mark

OK, it's about time to tell you how much I love Harry Conklin's singing. Today I listened to Decade Of The Nail Spiked Bat, Thane To The Throne and Ample Destruction once again. With each listen I love these albums more and more. And Harry's voice is the icing on the cake. I can't understand how Heavy Metal fans cannot love his voice. A few months ago at a concert I talked to Robert Pöpperl-Berenda (from Rock Hard magazine) and asked him about his favorite bands and he told me that he preferred easy listening bands like Iron Maiden. So I asked him 'What about Jag Panzer?' and he said he doesn't like singers with such a high voice like Harry (he actually said "Eierkneifergesang" but I don't know how to translate that). HELLO?! He loves Iron Maiden but doesn't care for Jag Panzer because of Harry's voice??? UNBELIEVABLE!!! Anyway, Harry Conklin is one of my absolute favorite singers (better than Bruce Dickinson and Geoff Tate) and I hope there will be many many more Jag Panzer albums with his voice.

i agree with what most people have said above.HARRY IS METAL. but Harry sounds a bit tired lately, especially the decade - sounds ehm sub par vocally - compared to the original recordings. plus he has the worse dressing sense in metal, up there with bruce dickinson. hahahaha which gives him a few extra points in my book.