The Ultimate 1176 Comparison (hardware and plugins)

Lasse Lammert

HCAF Blitzkrieg
Feb 12, 2009
www.lasselammert.com
Sooooo, I'm a curious fella and a gear nut...This sent me on a quest to finding the ultimate 1176 plugin. I took every plug-in version of the 1176 I had and compared it to my three hardware versions, in order to do so I had to first make sure the hardware and my converters were perfectly calibrated, then I had to choose an overal calibration method to set up the compressors.
There is no perfect way of doing that since comppressors react differently to different frequencies, needles and meters don't react equally fast etc, so using actual audio material or white noise or similar to adjust the compressors to apply the same amount of gain reduction wouldn't work.
So in order to adjust the compressors to the same amount of GR, I had to use a steady signal of very limited frequency range – A sine wave.
I picked a 1kHz since wave, since that's what most hardware compressors are calibrated to, also is it roughly in „the middle“ of the spectrum of many instruments the 1176 is typically used for.....
Detailed documentation,description, guide, screenshots, frequency analysis and audio files in the download folder!

included in the test:

Purple Audio MC77 (HW)
Stam Audio SA-76 (HW)
Klark Teknik KT-76 (HW)
Bomb Factory BF76
Bomb Factory MC77
Waves CLA 76 Black
Waves CLA 76 Blue
Slate FG116 Vintage Circuit 1
Slate FG116 Vintage Circuit 2
Slate FG116 Vintage Modern 1
Slate FG116 Vintage Modern 2