The Zen Of Screaming

toronto_COBHC said:
its a DVD teaching you how to scream. scream as in how every metal singer
"sings"

Hmmm... There are more things than Death, Black and every other genre that involves growling... :wave:

yea dude, if anyone has it that would be great, plz send it man!!

im actually been trying to learn to scream well these days, so PLZ!

K-z-H said:
yea dude, if anyone has it that would be great, plz send it man!!

im actually been trying to learn to scream well these days, so PLZ!

What the fuck?
I didn't know you could learn to scream. Just fucking scream! If it hurts your throat do it more and get used to it, or dont do it at all. I just saved you dome download time....

Besides who says you have to scream to be metal? Early Phil Anselmo was good singing, and then he progressed into the growling/screaming dn pulled both off very well.

CliffBurton said:
What the fuck?
I didn't know you could learn to scream. Just fucking scream! If it hurts your throat do it more and get used to it, or dont do it at all. I just saved you dome download time....

Besides who says you have to scream to be metal? Early Phil Anselmo was good singing, and then he progressed into the growling/screaming dn pulled both off very well.

No! This is very wrong! You will totally fuck up your voice if you try to "just scream" also, even if it was that easy there would be ways of getting it to sound better.

Sinister Mephisto said:
No! This is very wrong! You will totally fuck up your voice if you try to "just scream" also, even if it was that easy there would be ways of getting it to sound better.

HEre is the thing...you jam with freinds, you start belting the lyrics out, if it comes out s screaming, you scream,if it doesnt, come out as screaming, then you aren't a screaming vocalist.

Arn't you supposed to ruin your voice if you want to scream? It will hurt ut after a while you get ued to it.

CliffBurton said:
HEre is the thing...you jam with freinds, you start belting the lyrics out, if it comes out s screaming, you scream,if it doesnt, come out as screaming, then you aren't a screaming vocalist.

Arn't you supposed to ruin your voice if you want to scream? It will hurt ut after a while you get ued to it.

well ive tried that actually and even though i was getting pretty ok results, it takes ALOT more than that... i talked to two people who really know their shit about vox, one was the vox from the most popular underground metal band here in Karachi, Pakistan who has a really distinctive voice and the other (odd though it may sound) was the band teacher in my school was sang opera... trust me its alot more difficult than it souds if u wanna do it the right way... its not supposed to hurt!

well lucky you guys because I couldn't scream "like in metal" to save my life. my voice sounds horrible, except when my throat hurts a lot, then I can manage something that almost sounds legit.

CliffBurton said:

No! You are NOT supposed to ruin your voice. You notice how when some people scream (music or otherwise) they can't talk loudly the day after? that's bad screaming and that's what you're talking about. You aren't born a screaming or non screaming vocalist it's a technique just like normal singing and if it's hurting you're doing it wrong. It's really important! I don't mean to be an asshole I just know people who have done this and seriously fucked up their voices and it's not pleasant and it doesn't sound as good.

Also I don't know many good bands that do it but you know how a lot of bands switch between screams and clean singing? that's to do with this business too. for Example: Opeth. Although that's a wee bit different because it's growling.

Admittadly one might be inherinatly good at screaming and not have to learn the technique because it comes naturally to them and then they won't hurt their voice but there's always room for improvment.