In the Dragon's Den
Mar 31, 2003
Chicago, IL
www.themetalchick.net
Theatre of Tragedy - Storm
Candlelight Records - CDL304 - June 27, 2006
by Amanda J. Carlson
Theatre_Tragedy_storm_969745.jpg

Finally a female-fronted mellow metal band that hasn't bored me to death. With lovely vocals, smooth guitars, and a prevalent melodious piano, Theatre of Tragedy stands tall among other bands of this style. Though there are a lot of similarities between them and Lacuna Coil, this band is catchier; they just plain rock more. It's hard to find a lot of variety in this vein of metal, and this Norwegian six piece is no exception. They just do it better.

The title track, which happens to be track one, is by far the best. Even while listening to the rest of the album, the chorus of "Storm" is still playing in my head. It's also one of the few songs that incorporates some male vocals, though it's more of a rap as a weak attempt at death growls. "Fade" is the one song that doesn't do it for me. It's the slow ballady one, and since most of the rest of the album is at a somewhat slow pace, this one just drags. At least they were smart and put a heavy song after it; "Begin and End" is the heaviest of this collection, and along with the first one, helps make this album a very worthwhile listen.

Though I enjoyed Storm, it’s not something I'd listen to on a regular basis, as it's just not really my thing. But for those who dig this style, especially those who haven't checked out Theatre of Tragedy, this is definitely something for you. I can't say how it compares to their previous work (they've been around for quite awhile), but I can say that this band will be under my radar from now on.

6.5/10

UM's Review Rating Scale

Theatre of Tragedy Official Website
Candlelight Records Official Website

I'd pin a medal on anybody who could make it through this lightweight and utterly disposable swill. I couldn't do it...:puke: