\m/Misanthropic Hippy\m/
Nov 11, 2001
Ireland
Visit site
Theatres Des Vampires - Anima Noir
Aural Music - Aura005 - 2 May 2008
By Paddy Walsh

theatres_des_vampires-anima_noir.jpg

Those of you interested in Italian goth metal staples Theatres Des Vampires would do well to ignore the hammy 'Vampiric Metal' tag, as it's a peurile and singles them out for more ridicule than they deserve. I'd imagine it's probably put off as many potential listeners as their 'we invented our own genre' gimmick has actually gained. But I digress. Many moons ago I was subjected to one of their earlier releases - the name of which escapes me - but I do recall a fairly syrupy and tedious brand of the Cradle of Filth symphonic black metal formula. Anima Noir is is all but unrecognisable, composed of dancefloor-friendly gothrock anthems like a riffier Sisters of Mercy. Abgott fans - now is your cue to leave the hall - these fellow Italians will most certainly leave your grimness wanting.

The rest of you might be interested to know that as far as metallic goth rock goes, Anima Noir is as pleasant a stab at this often tedious genre as you're likely to hear this year. Sure, Sonya Scarlet (yes I know you can smell cheese, but bear with me) has a squeaky quality in her voice that renders it somewhat irritating in lengthy doses, but she certainly can't be accused of insincerity, as she gives a spirited performance throughout. Hell, even obligatory ballad 'From the Deep' manages to work reasonably well, even if she insists on coming over all operatic on us. The guitars are laid on thick, and are thankfully high in the mix, and they are supplemented by an all pervasive synth presence. The latter has a distinct 80s flavour, and on tracks such as 'Blood Addiction' the guitars adopt a new wave-esque hue, making this release more retro than the crystal clear production might have you believe. The band wander into that unfortunate goth metal scourge of 'male-female-trading-vocals-duet' that the likes of Lacuna Coil have been inflicting on us for years, such as on the aforementioned 'Blood Addiction', and it's no less anoying here either. Much of Anima Noir is cheesy as hell, but for the most part it's an enjoyable romp into 80s two-step territory. Opener 'Kain', with its mid-paced stomp, and obvious dancefloor filler 'Two Seconds' will likely have the eyeliner-sonning masses in rapture. This is certainly a better direction than the Cradle of Filth-worship of old, and indeed it stands above much of the saccharine goth 'metal' hordes doing the rounds these days.

Official Theatres Des Vampires Website
Official Theatres Des Vampires MySpace
Official Aural Music Website

Theatres des Vampires have never been a Cradle of Filth-worship band - their influences are of black metal and goth rock among others, but they have never attempted to emulate anything of Cradle of Filth. A comparison between the two is only valid if you are looking at the very basic elements of their sound. They've played this style of music for as long as Cradle of Filth has. Here I'm referrring to Nuziati-era TdV (1994-2004).

The tag 'vampiric metal' was used so to give the band their own identity as many bands do, and to not pigeon-hole themselves with a common genre tag. Needless to say that it is also obvious that vampires are the central theme of the group, and not just in a lyrical sense.

Anyhow, the band's best years are far behind them. I think "Anima Noir" is an average album by a band that is capable of much better, despite the radical shift in direction.