THEM opening for Helloween in Chicago

Diabolik

Sep 30, 2005
Chicago,IL
www.facebook.com
For those going to Helloween in Chicago..here is the opener...THEM...seems like a "super" group. Members of Cold Steel, Suffocation and Symphony X.

At least if I get there late I won't be missing too much.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they're a bit late to the races here. 3-5 years ago there were tons of KD and MF bands that were getting popular. Now they'll get lost in the shuffle even if they were good, which they aren't.

I think they're a bit late to the races here. 3-5 years ago there were tons of KD and MF bands that were getting popular. Now they'll get lost in the shuffle even if they were good, which they aren't.

They have been around for a while now. Just started doing originals.

But yeah. I know what you mean. I guess with King now being active doing a tribute doesn't seem as viable so I get why they chose to change.

Surprised there hasn't been more talk about this show.
Bob, Simon, Dave, Pat, and I from this forum were all there.

Local veterans SEPTER opened the show.
They are fine as an opener but I dont think will ever go beyond this.
They are one of many local bands made up of talented musicians, but dont stay too active with their band that plays originals.
They had a fill in vocalist who was actually a former vocalist of theirs.

Next were THEM. Yep, few years too late.
Even ripped off the King's stage theatrics.
PLEASE GO AWAY! Sorry, I just cant get behind this at all.
For what it's worth, Dave loved it.

Finally, after a lengthy delay due to pending health issues, HELLOWEEN
Their band manager came on to inform the crowd that a band member was seeking medical attention by a doctor backstage.
We were all worried that we would get an abbreviated set.

Nope!! The band came out and played a killer set.

Taped intro of Walls of Jericho rolled, and then the band kicked into EAGLE FLY FREE.
The setlist, which I will post below, was a good mix of "must play" tracks from Keepers I and II, and key Deris tracks.
Heavy focus on Time of the Oath, which I have no issue with.
I wish they would realize that 7 Sinners was a solid album and try more live than "Are You Metal"?
Wouldn't have been my top pics for the two tracks of Straight Out of Hell, but so be it.

Was still a very solid set, and I am very glad that I was able to work it out and make it after being gifted a ticket.

If they are coming near your neck of the woods, go!!!

MAJOR PROPS to Sascha for pulling thru and doing the set.
He had cold sweats the whole set and was white as a ghost.
He didnt miss one note, stage move, or backup vocal.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/helloween/2016/concord-music-hall-chicago-il-33f08cc9.html

Glad to hear they put on a good show. I wish they had come to Boston, though to be honest I would have been disappointed with the setlist. While I'm a much bigger fan of the early material, I have no problem at all with them focusing on the Deris era. It seems appropriate. However, they only played one song from Master, nothing from Better Than Raw (my favorite Deris album), and I probably would have picked different songs from Oath too.

I hate Better Than Raw....I was telling Dave at the show it is my least favorite Helloween album.

THEM were a total joke..I don't see how people are taking this seriously. I have seen a lot of the Europeans rave about them. The whole time I was just laughing. The worst was the bad actors on stage and at the end when the singer did that laugh thinking it would be some cool epic scare ending and people all kind of just stopped carrying or laughed.

Helloween were great dispite being really sick.

Next were THEM. Yep, few years too late.
Even ripped off the King's stage theatrics.
PLEASE GO AWAY! Sorry, I just cant get behind this at all.
For what it's worth, Dave loved it.

I wouldn't say I loved it. I thought they were a lot of fun, though - definitely more fun than waiting for an hour watching nothing. But I'd never buy their album or go out of my way to see them again.

At the end of the night they gave out flyers. At their own show!

Here's how I rank Helloween albums, from best to worst:

Keeper Of The Seven Keys Part II
Keeper Of The Seven Keys Part I
Walls Of Jericho
Better Than Raw
Master Of The Rings
The Time Of The Oath
Pink Bubbles Go Ape
Chameleon
The Dark Ride
all the ones after that

I'll rank 'em too.

1. Walls of Jericho (my number one album, period)
2. (tie) Keeper of the Seven Keys Part II
2. (tie) Better Than Raw
4. Keeper of the Seven Keys Part I
5. The Time of the Oath
6. Gambling With the Devil

All the rest are OK, except for Keeper the Legacy and the newest one. Those suck.