THEOCRACY FOR PROG POWER VIII

Nov 21, 2006
I say give some more love to the homegrown Georgia talent. Theocracy would be an amazing opener on the second day. Matt Smith is giving us one of the better new Power Metal bands and has been in connection with Prog Power a lot it seems. I say show some more love and hit the real event.

I disagree. I liked hearing them last year. And I'm sure in another year his bandmates might have gained a bit more stage presence. But I don't think they are opening caliber yet (sure we don't know if Raintime has stage presence or puts on a good show either, but ignore that for now) for the main show. Maybe after another album, and more shows...

On a Theocracy note, they have an interview featured in the latest Heaven's Metal Fanzine. It's a good interview featuring Matt in my opinion. The PP appearance is one of the few times the band has actually played live together, so with that in mind they did excellent! :kickass:

Meh, no thanks. Their debut album is one of my favorite power metal albums ever, but I was dissapointed by the performance at the Pre-Party last year. I saw them a few weeks later at a bar in Jonesboro, and while they improved their performance, I'd rather see a band that doesn't get to tour here that often.

Opening bands should, ideally, bring some serious energy to the stage. Theocracy dropped the ball in that aspect. Perhaps that performance is not indicative of their typical show, but that's all I've seen.

I say give some more love to the homegrown Georgia talent. Theocracy would be an amazing opener on the second day. Matt Smith is giving us one of the better new Power Metal bands and has been in connection with Prog Power a lot it seems. I say show some more love and hit the real event.

I say you forgot that apparently there's a No Consecutive Year Repeat Band rule, unless for the favorite of the main show playing the following year's showcase. =)

The "no consecutive repeat band" rule applies only to bands on ProgPower's two main (Glenn-booked) nights, AFAIK, and covers two full years of being away. Unless Glenn overrides it or something. (Therion, Therion :heh: )

That being said, with the way PP 2007 is shaping up, I don't see too much room for a band like Theocracy any more. I have nothing against them, of course, and Matt is a longtime friend going back to the glory days of the Ytsejam, but PP's increasing stature, even extending down to the opening slots, makes 'em unlikely.
Glenn is shooting higher, and why not? He's built the festival up onto a higher pedestal, and the stars of the firmament are closer now.

Opening bands should, ideally, bring some serious energy to the stage. Theocracy dropped the ball in that aspect. Perhaps that performance is not indicative of their typical show, but that's all I've seen.

Like I said, they've only played together in a live setting a few times. Theocracy is talented, young, and hungry, so they'll only improve with time. I'm predicting their sophomore effort will be better than their first one by the way.