Therion Concert

alexofbodom

Feb 24, 2002
Visit site
Saw Therion live last night in Barcelona and have only one word to descibe it: WOW!!! These guys are awesome live!!! Much better than I anticipated. The had a four-piece choir as well as a lead female vocalist (operatic voice) and Mats Leven (new member) as lead singer. EVerything was perfect from the sound to the delivery, and the capacity crowd (some 2,000) were going totally nuts!! They played lots of new songs, as well as lots of songs from the Secret of the Runes, Vovin and Theli albums, and a few from their other releases. The climax was reached when they played "To Mega Therion" and they finished the concert with a couple of covers (Black Funeral from Mercyful Fate and Iron Fist from Motorhead)
The entire band was tight as hell, and Mats Leven as well as the rest of singers did an outstanding job. I also expected them to be less interactive with the crowd, but it was the total opposite...they never ceased to get the crowd involved and they made sure everybody was jumping, singing, clapping and raising horns throughout their two-hour set. The two openers (Trail of Tears and Tristania) did also a great job and had many fans (especially Tristania) amongst the crowd. I also have to mention that they also had a perfect sound, which tends to be rather rare for opening bands.
Therion would be a great addition to a ProgPower Festival. The only problem I see is that since they would be an odball band at PP I see it as difficult for them getting a headliner slot, and I am not sure if they would be invited to PP to play as 1st 2nd or 3rd slot band.
Tonight I will see Epica with Visions Atlantis and Lullacry...I'll let you know how it went.

Wow, totally jealous...that sounded great! Always liked Mats Leven with Yngwie and then At Vance. Someday I'll get to see Therion, but in the meantime hope they record a DVD from this tour! Any word on that?

Therion are supposedly touring the US during 2005, but I'm not sure if they're headlining or opening for someone else. (God, thet latter would suck....can't these bands get a decent amount of stage-time over here? Case in point, Children of effin' Bodom....)

alexofbodom said:
The only problem I see is that since they would be an odball band at PP I see it as difficult for them getting a headliner slot, and I am not sure if they would be invited to PP to play as 1st 2nd or 3rd slot band.
Not to speak for Glenn, but given Therion's popularity i don't see why he would have any concern at all about giving them the headlining spot. The main problem with Therion is the amount of personnel involved, if i remember previous discussions correctly.

Ryan

Dave@BEC said:
Wow, totally jealous...that sounded great! Always liked Mats Leven with Yngwie and then At Vance. Someday I'll get to see Therion, but in the meantime hope they record a DVD from this tour! Any word on that?

Yes..Therion record a DVD from the Mexican Tour, and will be out early 2005 :hotjump:

Dave@BEC said:
Thanks, that's cool!:cool: I'll need the DVD to pacify me while I wait and see if the rumors come true of them visiting the US this time.

The Therion's website said about an US Tour in the beginning of 2005,
http://www.megatherion.com/
You will enjoy it !!!! is an amazing show, 2:40 hours of pure symphonic metal !!!!!! :worship:

About the DVD, the two concerts in Mexico City , August the 13th & 14th, and the concert August the 17th in my city Monterrey, Mexico, was recorded from a DVD, so we can expect a DVD with the best of that shows next year :hotjump:

alexofbodom said:
Saw Therion live last night in Barcelona and have only one word to descibe it: WOW!!! These guys are awesome live!!! Much better than I anticipated. The had a four-piece choir as well as a lead female vocalist (operatic voice) and Mats Leven (new member) as lead singer. EVerything was perfect from the sound to the delivery, and the capacity crowd (some 2,000) were going totally nuts!! They played lots of new songs, as well as lots of songs from the Secret of the Runes, Vovin and Theli albums, and a few from their other releases. The climax was reached when they played "To Mega Therion" and they finished the concert with a couple of covers (Black Funeral from Mercyful Fate and Iron Fist from Motorhead)
The entire band was tight as hell, and Mats Leven as well as the rest of singers did an outstanding job. I also expected them to be less interactive with the crowd, but it was the total opposite...they never ceased to get the crowd involved and they made sure everybody was jumping, singing, clapping and raising horns throughout their two-hour set. The two openers (Trail of Tears and Tristania) did also a great job and had many fans (especially Tristania) amongst the crowd. I also have to mention that they also had a perfect sound, which tends to be rather rare for opening bands.
Therion would be a great addition to a ProgPower Festival. The only problem I see is that since they would be an odball band at PP I see it as difficult for them getting a headliner slot, and I am not sure if they would be invited to PP to play as 1st 2nd or 3rd slot band.
Tonight I will see Epica with Visions Atlantis and Lullacry...I'll let you know how it went.

I agree with you, i saw Therion here in Mexico in 2002, and last August too, was amazing! and i will see Epica next December, during the Mexican Tour, please write your experience in the Epica Concert in Barcelona... (Im in Love With Simone Simmons hahaha)

Is that Therion's new female singer? I was wondering who was singing for them now, since Sarah Deva (from Cradle of Filth) told me she was no longer singing for Therion, as of about 6 months ago.

I think I'd drive up to 400 miles to see Therion on a tour here. :)

Sautherom said:
I agree with you, i saw Therion here in Mexico in 2002, and last August too, was amazing! and i will see Epica next December, during the Mexican Tour, please write your experience in the Epica Concert in Barcelona... (Im in Love With Simone Simmons hahaha)
Epica was great! The venue was much smaller than the one where Therion played, but still there was a good crowd. They played their entire album as well as a few new tracks and I think one After Forever track. What suprised me the most was Simone's stage presence...constantly banging her head, making her hair fly, jumping around, getting the crowd involved, extending her hand and greeting people in the crowd, etc ...She could teach Tarja (Nightwish) some lessons about energy and stage presence. Her voice was perfect as well, and so was the rest of the band who played through the set error-free and with energy, especially Jansen (guitars/back vocals) who also interacted a lot with the crowd. And the sound was very heavy and very clean...making this a great concert overall.
I did notn get to see the opening band Stormrider (on ticket it said Lullacry) and Visions of Atlantis was BORING!

Next up is Rage (with Ordeal and Dead Soul Tribe) opening.

:
alexofbodom said:
Epica was great! The venue was much smaller than the one where Therion played, but still there was a good crowd. They played their entire album as well as a few new tracks and I think one After Forever track. What suprised me the most was Simone's stage presence...constantly banging her head, making her hair fly, jumping around, getting the crowd involved, extending her hand and greeting people in the crowd, etc ...She could teach Tarja (Nightwish) some lessons about energy and stage presence. Her voice was perfect as well, and so was the rest of the band who played through the set error-free and with energy, especially Jansen (guitars/back vocals) who also interacted a lot with the crowd. And the sound was very heavy and very clean...making this a great concert overall.
I did notn get to see the opening band Stormrider (on ticket it said Lullacry) and Visions of Atlantis was BORING!

GRACIAS!!! i can't wait anymore to see them!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hotjump:

Pellaz said:
Is that Therion's new female singer? I was wondering who was singing for them now, since Sarah Deva (from Cradle of Filth) told me she was no longer singing for Therion, as of about 6 months ago.

I think I'd drive up to 400 miles to see Therion on a tour here. :)
Only 400!
I'd say I'd drive at least twice that; any farther and I'll fly. Anyway, if they come to the US, I'm there.
If they skip Atlanta, maybe a bunch of us could rent a bus. I'm sure there are at least a bus load of die hard Therion fans in Atlanta (if we are headed north, we could pick up Glen in Rome on the way :) ) .

Hopefully they will do a full US tour though and not skip the Southeast like some other big name bands (I travelled to Pittsburgh to see Maiden). Although since I am fortunate enough not to have to travel to PP, I guess a little travelling won't kill me.

ReaLM said:
Only 400!
I'd say I'd drive at least twice that; any farther and I'll fly. Anyway, if they come to the US, I'm there.
Well, you'll note that I specified driving. I'd be inclined to fly a good deal farther, if it was to a city I knew well and/or had friends on the ground to provide logistical support...i.e., a ride and a place to crash. :)

RealM said:
If they skip Atlanta, maybe a bunch of us could rent a bus. I'm sure there are at least a bus load of die hard Therion fans in Atlanta (if we are headed north, we could pick up Glen in Rome on the way :) ) .
A bus, or a passenger van. The latter is really cheap when you split it 8, 10, or 12 ways. :)

Hopefully they will do a full US tour though and not skip the Southeast like some other big name bands (I travelled to Pittsburgh to see Maiden). Although since I am fortunate enough not to have to travel to PP, I guess a little travelling won't kill me.
Let's hope so. Now that I've seen CoF at a (decently long, if not quite as long as we were hoping) headlining show, the number of bands I reallllllly want to see live before I die is shrinking.....and Therion is at the top of that shrinking list. :)