Therion- Gothic Kabbalah

Einherjar86

Jan 15, 2008
The Ivory Tower
For those here who are Therion fans, what do you think of the most recent album? After listening to it several times, I find that it grows better with each listen. I definitely think they've taken a departure from previous albums; but then again, Therion always try to reinvent themselves. I think the new record has some weak points, but there are also some killer tracks:

"Son of the Staves of Time"
"The Perennial Sophia"
"Three Treasures"
"TOF-The Trinity"
"Trul" (my personal favorite; one of the most amazing choruses ever, and there aren't even any words in it!)

...just to name a few.

What does everyone else think?

I dont think it´s as good as Lemuria or especially Sirius B(which i consider one of my absolute favourite albums of all time). But i agree that it´s a grower,i´m sure i haven´t listened to it´s fullest potential yet.

I think it's the best Metal album of 2007, definitely out of everything I heard & I have about 30 albums from 2007 I would say :) It's an amazing album. Great songs all throughout. All killer - no filler. The riffs are great & the leads are jaw dropping most of the time. It's Therion's best album by far I would say. I could never get into prior releases nearly that much... "Theli" seems promising but it gets so boring, same for "Secret of the Runes". I don't care for his early stuff. "A'arab Zaraq - Lucid Dreaming" is a decent compilation & has some good songs.

Therion are awesome but i was angry they took out Chrises growling vocals, and now Matts is gone that really sucks. I enjoy their music though just the way Chris writes the stuff, the writing style it just has fuck trends all over it.

I agree with ShredHead that the leads are awesome. I think that Kristian Niemann is one of the best metal guitarists around. His solos are never too long, but always so well-orchestrated and tasteful. They pack such an emotional punch. The solo in "Trul" is just magnificent, as is the one in "Three Treasures."

As for what others are saying, I definitely agree that there are some songs I'm not too fond of. I enjoy the dynamic of the three new lead singers; and while I don't necessarily miss the growl vocals, they did add a certain element to the band. I do think that the choirs have been downplayed as well in favor of lead vocals. The mix of lead and choir vocals on "Lemuria/Sirius B" was just so awesome. But on the whole, I think it's a solid record.