Therion

Tramz

OSA Council Member
Aug 9, 2007
Long Island, New York
The set list for the upcoming "Adulruna Tour", most of which were voted on by fans has been released (not in any order):

01. Adulruna Rediviva
02. Wisdom and the Cage
03. Summernight City
04. Rise of Sodom and Gomorrah
05. Wine of Aluqah
06. Via Nocturna
07. Ginnungagap
08. Asgard
09. Midgard
10. Blood of Kingu
11. Kali Yuga (part 1 & 2)*
12. Kali Yuga (part 3, not recorded yet!)
13. Typhon
14. Arrow from the Sun
15. Lemuria (acoustic version with flute!)

* Not voted for, but will be performed as the band decided to play the third part

The most interesting part is that they seem to be doing much more than just the date in New York. This comes as a big surprise, all things considered. It seemed weird to come here to do only one show, but they said they wouldn't be doing another full tour here. I wouldn't exactly call this a full tour but it's more than i expected. The North American dates include:

10/15 - San Francisco, California @ Slim's
10/16 - Santa Ana, California @ Galaxy Theatre
10/17 - Hollywood, California @ The Key Club
10/23 - Denver, Colorado @ Cervantes Masterpiece Ballroom
10/25 - St. Paul, Minnesota @ Station 4
10/26 - Mokena, Illinois @ The Pearl Room
10/29 - Toronto, ON - Canada @ The Opera House
10/30 - Quebec City, QC - Canada @ Imperial de Quebec
10/31 - Montreal, QC - Canada @ Le Medley
11/01 - New York, New York @ Highline Ballroom
11/02 - West Springfield, Virginia @ Jaxx
11/03 - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania @ Theatre of Living Arts

I'm going to catch them at the Galaxy Theatre, Santa ana show! :D I actually like the Gothic Kabbalah album although some of their older fans said its not as good for some reason. If anyone hasn't heard them yet should give em a try on myspace, just click on the banner

I'm going to catch them at the Galaxy Theatre, Santa ana show! :D I actually like the Gothic Kabbalah album although some of their older fans said its not as good for some reason.

You're right about that. I'm an older fan (i first got into them around 1996. my first album was Theli) and i definitely say that Gothic Kabbalah isn't nearly as good as that which has come before (though a mediocre album for Therion would be a fairly solid album for most anyone else). Mind you, i've come to enjoy some of it (including the title song. though don't get me started on the actual song/album title itself.. language barriers or no, i still take issue with it), but for me, it's certainly a let down.

Still, one mediocre album in almost 20 years is forgivable. Let's just hope whatever comes next will be up to their usual standards. In the mean time, Therion hitting the North American shores is an event not to be missed by anyone even casually interested in this band. You never know if it will ever happen again.

By the way does anyone what is going on with Therion at the moment? I've only just found out that the Niemann brothers were both leaving. Oh well, it's a bit of a shame as I think Kristian is a very underrated guitarist. At I got to see them way back in December last year.

(Seraph's quote was taken from the "New Album Purchases topic)

Definitely a shock. Luckily some information has trickled out. For starters, the initial letter:

"Dear Fans,

Today we have an announcement that will come as a shock to all of you. The four permanent members of the band have had some discussions and it is clear that we have different goals and visions for the future. Therefore it is best for the band, our selves as individuals and for the fans that we go separate ways now when there is still plenty of time before the next Therion album and World Tour. This means that Christofer will continue with Therion and the others will perform their music in other projects and bands.

We're all still friends, no one is disappointed and there's still some work we have left to do together in terms of editing of materials we have recorded for future DVD's.Best regards to all of you and thank you so much for the wonderful support you have given the band during the time we have played together.

Christofer, Kristian, Johan and Petter.
"

Maybe they were sick of Christofer not wanting to tour the states. The rest of them wanted to :p I'm kidding, that's not exactly a valid reason hehe.

Then there was the latest email from Kliffoth which explains things in more detail.

Some other tidbits:

From the topic on the Therion forum:

"Hi dear people!!!
This is also very sad news for all of us! And I wish all the best for Kristian Johan and Petter in the future! It has been a priviilage to have toured with those guys! I know it's a hard moment, but we got to try to look forward now!! Therion DESERVES to live on and continue! And it WILL! And if it's ANY comfort in this moment me, Snowy and Lori are still in the band. Speaking for me personally I still love to tour, I still love to get up on that stage and most of all I really enjoy to meet all the fans!!! You that have met me knows that I am not bullshitting when saying that! And you guys here at the forum, in the concerts wherever you are. I have the greatest respect for you!! (I can also speak for the other guys in that case) and we WILL meet again on tour!! If you dont think it's fun in your heart anymore I think that Petter and the Niemanns did the right thing! It would not be good for them or the band if they continue to play and their hearts were somewhere else. I wish them the best of luck in the future. And I send a big hug to all three of them!! And also an even bigger one to you!! The fans that stays true to Therion and have done that so many years!! Thank you from the heart!!
Thomas Vikström
"

Someone on the forum also said that Thomas posted this in the guestbook:

"But one important thing is: They did not get fired!!! They went away by themselves!There is also no hard feeling between anybody."

Kristian on the Myspace:

"Well, after nine years with the band it..s just time to do something different. Nothing to be upset about really, Christofer will continue with Therion of course and will bring some fresh new blood into the band. Myself, Im really looking forward to see where the band is going next. I ll be first in line to buy the new CD!

Like we said there are no hard feelings whatsoever, it is just time to move on.

/kristian
"

Petter on the Myspace:

"Therion is now history

Last week I had a band meeting with my fellows in Therion.
We have now decided to go separate ways.
Christofer Johnsson will continue with Therion and Me, Johan and Kristian Niemann will perform our music in other bands and projects.

I’m sure that this is the best decision, when it’s clear that we have different goals and visions for the future.
I have a lot of interesting projects coming up, and I will definitly do something together with Kristian and Johan.

To all Therion fans
Thanks for your unbelievable support. I hope I’ll see you in the future.
Cheers,
Petter
"

My read on this is that much like most older fans, these members of the band were not happy with the direction Therion has been taking lately, especially with Gothic Kabbalah. And as the Kliffoth letter says, rather than stay on in a soul-dead "just a job" kind of place, it was decided that the best thing to do was move on.

Iced Dog should be happy. We'll get another Demonoid album now. ;]

Blimey, that was quick Tramz!
Thanks, I understand a bit better what's going on. I'll have to make an effort to search out the Demonoid stuff if I can.

Aww, sad to see those guys go...the Niemann brothers are awesome. I wish Snowy wasn't still with the band...one of the reasons I didn't like Gothic Kabbalah. But yeah, looking forward to the new Demonoid :kickass:

@Iced Dog .

I was interested to see that you weren't very keen on Snowy Shaw. I remember when I got 'Gothic Kabbalah' and found that he was doing most of the male vocal I was a bit disappointed as I thought there wasn't enough Mats Leven and I love his voice. But I kind of got used to it, considering that at first I didn't even like the tone of Snowy's voice.
* a little bit OT , but I feel a need to explain myself*

(I can't explain it, but if I don't like the tone of your voice I can't love you as a singer no matter how technically good you might be. That's why I always chose Sonata over Stratovarius.Whereas I loved Tony's voice pretty much from the first time I heard him, Timo's vocal talent is obvious and I can hear him and admire his performance but I could never love it and get into the band as much as Sonata.)

*sorry about that, back on topic!*
When I went to see Therion in December I was more impressed with him in a live setting. I think him and Thomas Vikstrom did a good job and they're both a good addition to the band. If they're staying I won't be too sad.

Yep, I understand that reasoning. I'm not saying Snowy is the only reason, or even the main one, as to why I didn't like Gothic Kabbalah...hard to pin down I guess, but music is like that sometimes...hell, many times ;)