Therions new album "Gothic Kabbalah"

It still depresses me that the same band that put out absolutely BRILLIANT albums like Beyond Sanctorum has spent the last dozen years churning out gimmicky horseshit.

It's not the same band. Therion's line up has changed more than a diarrheal baby's diaper.
But Christofer Johnsson has always been the main composer and often the only composer of their music.

And while Beyond Sanctorum was brilliant, it's nowhere near as good as Deggial or Secret of the Runes.

Sure it is - those releases are painfully gimmicky...not to mention fundamentally gay.
May I ask how they are gimmicky? I don't believe music in itself can be considered a gimmick and even though SOTR is a concept album, it is still musically quite diverse, just like Deggial.

I'm not sure what in Therion's discography can be considered gay either, except maybe The Rise of Sodom and Gomorra.

May I ask how they are gimmicky? I don't believe music in itself can be considered a gimmick and even though SOTR is a concept album, it is still musically quite diverse, just like Deggial.

I dunno, I mean, it couldn't be the generic heavy metal + choirs aspect, could it?

I dunno, I mean, it couldn't be the generic heavy metal + choirs aspect, could it?

Out of boredom i decided to read some of your posts to see if you ever come off in any way OTHER than "elitist asshole" and didn't really find any. You do realize if you really felt so inclined you could take any aspect of a band and call it gimicky? I mean shit, blast beats and downtuned guitars may as well be considered a gimick. Who cares how they're actually used, that is obviously irrelevant. Just something to think about. I'm not quite so sure you're better than everyone here and always right. I'm probably just wrong though.

i have to admit i really enjoy this album. it's the first one since Theli that i really like that much. songs like 'Trul' and 'Perennial Sophia' are quite fine...

I've never heard Therion before, but I just got this album not too long ago, and I'm liking it a lot.
Any recommendations of which album of theirs to check out next? From what I'm reading here, it sounds like this album is a lot different from previous albums though.