Thinking about getting a cat, need some advice from the cat people

Enemy242

Jun 27, 2004
CA
www.myspace.com
So when I get into college I'm going to have my own small studio apartment and I'm pretty sure they allow pets so I was considering getting a cat since I figured it would be easier and more chill than a dog that would want to run around and shit outside and whatnot.

my question is what kind should I get? I was thinking Scottish Fold because they're cute and seem nice and don't have gigantic fur coats that I wouldn't be able to clean up after. I just want a cute cat that can chill and isn't going to be a ton of work to look after because I will have class and can't be around 24/7 obviously. I can feed it and take out litter and stuff but anything beyond that I don't really know what to do. Also, what kind of stuff would I need to get and how much does it cost? I don't have a ton of money but I figure I could afford a bed and something to scratch on and food but yeah that's probably it, should I wait until later if its really hard and expensive? I don't want to get a cat that'll be a bro if I can't take good enough care of it obviously.

Do people actually know cat breeds? 'Cause I definitely don't, I categorize them more like: "that's a fluffy cat," "that's a black cat," "that cat has stripes," etc. Just go to the SPCA or another animal shelter and hang out with a few cats until you find one you really like. I chose my cat as a kitten because 1) tuxedo cats are fucking cute, and 2) he was playing with me in his cage, but once I took him out and picked him up, he fell asleep in my arms. It's usually pretty obvious once you have a connection with an animal.

Kittens are high maintenance at first, but they'll also grow up learning how to live with you, which in the long run might be easier than trying to get an older cat to adjust to your lifestyle. Try to keep it eating just dry food, since canned cat food is expensive and smells really bad. A scratching post is a good idea too so it doesn't tear up all your furniture. Overall most cats are pretty easy to take care of as long as they're content. Just make sure it has all its shots and take it to the vet every year or so.

note to self: stop reading this thread before you go making irrational decisions.....

I really like Egyptian Mau

egyptian-mau-cat-facts.jpg

and Abyssinian cats

Icicle.jpg

but both are expensive breeds.

thanks for the help everyone (mostly isabel haha) but yeah I'm thinking that sounds good and once I move in and start going to classes I can judge how much free time I have then I'll decide if I can keep up with one. It sounds like not a lot of work and my apartment is chill and nice so hopefully the kitty would be happy. Those last 2 cats have too little hair and I didn't plan on going for an expensive cat or something so yeah I'll probably just find a shelter or something and hang with some of the cats or something.

On an actually helpful note, you won't want a kitten that's too young unless you're prepared to take some time off from work/school or have someone to come in and check on it. Someone at the shelter could give you more specifics regarding age and how long it'll take to acclimate.

Purebred animals are usually pretty stupid and prone to health problems since they're often a product of incest, so I'd definitely say go with a mutt (or whatever the feline equivalent is). I think everyone would be better off with a kitty companion. :)

Yeah cat breeds aren't usually as specific as dog breeds. A cat is a cat is a cat, unless you start talking about Norwegians or something like that who are very particular and high maintenance.

There are certain dogs that I want and certain ones I don't, but cats are pretty much all welcome in my house, no matter the race...as long as they're friendly.

Purebred animals are usually pretty stupid and prone to health problems since they're often a product of incest, so I'd definitely say go with a mutt (or whatever the feline equivalent is). I think everyone would be better off with a kitty companion. :)

You should definately take this into account.

But, if you go for a pure breed (which are more expensive, and therefore not student friendly), I recommend the British Shorthair - they look great and have amazing personalities.

If you want to get a kitten, take into account that you may have to pay for kinds of shots and shit at the vet. Also, kitten food is slightly more expensive that regular cat food. Speaking of which, there are about a million different kinds of cat foods. I don't know what you have where you live, but I know that for the Super Premium food (the best and healthiest level of food) Pro Plan and Royal Canin are pretty well recognized around the world. If you choose to buy cheaper kind of food, the cheaper you go the more meat substitutes and preservates are found. Sorry, don't know prices outside of where I live.

As for anything else you "need", except for the cat litter and so on, you don't need anything else. If the cat has fleas, you may have to use Frontline or Advantage ampules.
Something to scratch would be nice, if only to keep the cat from ruining your furniture.

I'm with Karen.

Cats aren't like dogs. Most of the ones in the shelter never find homes because cats are everywhere. And from my experience you can't generalize their behavior by breed like you can with dogs.

If you want a best friend/companion - then Siamese cats are a good choice. I've had 3 and they all had distinct and intense personalities, so make sure that is what you are looking for. They tend to create a deep bond and will want attention, and they are also pretty talkative. I've heard the same about Egyptian Mau's - some say they are even more intense and loyal than Meezers, but I know they are quite expensive. Best of luck to you and your new buddy.

Yeah you could say that Siamese cats have personalities...their personalities being assholes. Gorgeous cats, though.

If you can find a cat with a Certosino mix, you won't be sorry. They're famous for being the pets of monks because they keep good company and are really sweet. I have one and am very happy with her. She's quite independent too, just likes to be pet and fed. She comes to thank me every day by cuddling.

Typical Certosino:

5006540.jpg

EXACTLY.

Breeds? who cares. Save a cat from the shelter or from a local rescue group, period!!

Right! Give a kitty a good home! Who cares what it looks like!
Since you're gonna need an indoor kitty, if you get a kitten be sure to litter train him/her. Most shelter cats are usually litter trained anyway.