Thinking about getting a new computer...need some advice

roy22341

Aug 23, 2008
Lafayette, LA
So right now I've got a Mac G4 Dual 1.42GHz MDD and I'm thinking about upgrading. I was pretty dead set on getting another Mac (used - I can't afford new right now) but I'm kind of intrigued by some of what I've heard about Windows 7.

So, with a budget of say...$1100 what would you guys recommend? A used Mac or a custom PC with Windows 7 (and if so what kind of specs?) Thanks a ton guys.

Oh and please, I'm not looking for a mac vs pc argument. Seen enough of those on this forum - just looking for some opinions.

You could get a PC with a thousand times more capabilities and speed for the same price you would pay for a mac for a budget of 1100$.

If you need help building one, I can help you out on what parts to choose.. Hit me up on AIM :)

Get a Mac.

In my daily use of Windows 7 at work, I am never really impressed. I do not really see a difference between Vista and 7. Sure they changed the look of the taskbar and added the snap feature (which is cool) but it is still the same Windows I never enjoyed using. I may be an idiot, but I have such a hard time navigating on Windows machines as opposed to a Mac. If you are used to doing things on a Mac, I wouldn't switch...especially if you are making money doing audio work. There is nothing worse than having your workflow cramped because you cannot find something or figure something out.

High end quad core processor able to be overclocked. 4Gb of double density ram [ddr2/ddr3]. Motherboard with fast front bus speed. SATA or SATA-II preferably for drive connections.
Depending on the audio interface you're using, onboard firewire can be a plus and of course ethernet connection is standard now, I'm pretty sure. Intake and exhaust are crucial as well as well as a couple internal fans for circulation. Which brings us to your pc case... If you're into the DIY method you can insulate it with adhesive-backed sound dampening material unless you can afford a proper audio box.

Bear in mind the Core i9 CPU is slated for release in the first quarter of next year, and once that's released it'll drive down the prices of the i7 CPU a fair bit.
That's if you can wait that long though.