Finally thinking about going Mac...

Hey drew_drummer,

I got a imac myself but I'm considering a hackintosh in the near future.

Question - Is Pro Tools stable on the hackintosh (besides the common PT Bugs of course)?

Hey mate. It is. A Hackintosh is no different to a Mac if it is setup properly.

But for myself, I was a bit tired of being non-legit. So I went over to Win7 64. I also wanted to use a bunch of freeware that isn't available for Mac.

Horses for course really. At the end of the day, all this shit is just tools. As long as it does the basic job, I couldn't really give a fuck. We're all guilty of putting too much emphasis on our equipment and maybe that's why most modern day metal sucks. *shrugs*

At the end of the day, all this shit is just tools. As long as it does the basic job, I couldn't really give a fuck.

I totally agree here. Most of my fanboy-istic love for them Mac computer thingamagogs actually comes from the fact the when using them for audio work, I can (most of the time, anyway) forget the tool altogether and concentrate on the work itself. It's not just the cool Apple logo and the sleek aluminum design, it's just that I don't have to give a shit about the computer while working. It's a tool, and it doesn't deserve my attention when it should be focused elsewhere :lol:

That's also mostly the reason I don't recommend Hackintosh setups for professional work (apart from them being shady, obviously). They can work fine, but you NEED to tweak them, and I really don't want to spend time hunting for some third party, hacked .kext to get my WiFi working when it comes to the computer I use for my work.

Then again, from what I've heard, Win7 is a huge leap into the right direction in this field, too. I've only used it a bit, and not for audio work, it does seem fuckloads more intuitive and user-friendly than XP and Vista.

I can vouch for Win7 being a lot better for audio than WinXP. In fact, I've not tweaked my system at all, and it works perfectly fine. With WinXP you always had to do a bunch of registry tweaks and shit... which pissed me off.

Hey mate. It is. A Hackintosh is no different to a Mac if it is setup properly.

But for myself, I was a bit tired of being non-legit. So I went over to Win7 64. I also wanted to use a bunch of freeware that isn't available for Mac.

Horses for course really. At the end of the day, all this shit is just tools. As long as it does the basic job, I couldn't really give a fuck. We're all guilty of putting too much emphasis on our equipment and maybe that's why most modern day metal sucks. *shrugs*

I'm going to build my own hackintosh in the next days...I have also a macbook pro that's awesome but when I'm near the end of a mix it becomes a nightmare.
About the legit-not legit question.... a large amount of people (also studio owners) said me that EULA is valid only into USA....so in Europe you can build a hackintosh. The only limitation is a legit OSX copy.
I know for sure that several BIG names already works with hackintosh.

Beside switching from a DSL100 to my 5150, getting an iMac 27" i5 was one of the best moves I did. Seriously I never lock.

Don't want to start Flame wars :headbang: but did you ever seen ads or a whole major industry dealing with mac problems? ;-)

Looking back and converting all the hours dealing with drivers, bluescreens, senseless security questions... in $$$/lost time of my life: :puke:

In risk of sounding cocky (right translation for "übermütig"?!) I would say that I know what I'm talking bout, 'cause I work (design/3D/video) with apple gear since 8 years.

To make it short:
Do it, do it, do it :D

Cheers, Markus.

About the legit-not legit question.... a large amount of people (also studio owners) said me that EULA is valid only into USA....so in Europe you can build a hackintosh. The only limitation is a legit OSX copy.
I know for sure that several BIG names already works with hackintosh.

I call bullshit. My Finnish copy of the OS X Snow Leopard EULA states that the OS X license grants me the permission to install the OS on one Apple computer, right at the beginning. Seriously, you can try to justify it any way you want, and naturally your decisions are yours and yours only, but it still doesn't take away the simple fact that the OS X license, which you agree to obey, states clearly and simply that you are not allowed to install the operating system on a computer not manufactured by Apple. Yeah, maybe you wouldn't lose the case in court if it somehow got taken there, but to me that makes little difference.

And I don't know about you guys, but as a paying customer, I wouldn't think very highly of a professional service that uses a "Hackintosh" for their work. If I was looking for someone to make me a website, for example, I wouldn't be tempted to consider the Hackintosh guy, because it would give me a shady image of the guy in the first place. Maybe it's just me, though.

+1 to what Jarkko said.

I thought about getting a Hackintosh, too.. but it just seems unprofessional to me.
I am fully legit, and I don't want customers to think I crack my software or do semi-legal stuff.
But it's true, the EULA isn'T valid in Germany for example - but still: You agree by installing it, and that makes it kind of illegal again.
Also, you have zero support or warranty if anything fails you.

I can also recommend to buy a Mac from Resellers, I have a 3-year pick-up and replacement warranty for my Mac Pro (plus the Apple guaranty) so if anything fails me, I have a new Mac Pro the next day and my old one gets picked up and fixed ASAP.
It just looks amateurish if you list your DAW and it says "Hackintosh". At least that's how I see it.

I'm not justifying myself...I only said what lot of people into the music business said me. And I can assure you that several PRO (Big names) actually work with hackintoshes.
I mean, why someone that earn 10000€ for a mix is allowed to use an hackintosh and me, earning 10x less, I have to be so anal about these things?
Let me say something, that's not a justification...
Example: I have a G5 with lot of HD and Core card. The G5 one day blows...so I buy a new Mac Pro. Awesome computer, no doubts about that.
But....oh shit, it's a pci-e machine and I have to change every fuckin' pci card I have into my old G5.
So? 3000€ for a Mac Pro and 5000€ for the new HD card pack...
This is the main reason why lot of "pro" switched to hackintosh...because they can build a powerfull machine that can use also the old cards (if you choose the right motherboard).

About the tools: The 90% of musicians doesn't know how his own instrument works ....I don't think they care too much about the tools you use to make a good mix. It's not a nice case or an obsolete videocard that costs 5x its actual price that makes the difference.

I'm not justifying myself...I only said what lot of people into the music business said me. And I can assure you that several PRO (Big names) actually work with hackintoshes.
I mean, why someone that earn 10000€ for a mix is allowed to use an hackintosh and me, earning 10x less, I have to be so anal about these things?

Never said you're "not allowed", quite the contrary. Who are these big names you're talking about? I'm actually quite curious to know as I'm not aware of Hackintosh setups being so popular in the audio industry. I thought they were more of a rare choice for the technically curious. I'm sure they won't mind if you tell since they have already justified it themselves saying the EULA isn't valid.

Anyway, I'm forced actually to build it (take note I paid more for my macbook pro 2 years ago..and I'm still really happy) because I need more power to ultimate my mixes.
If one day I'll increase my load of work (and my earnings) probably I'll buy a mac pro without a problem...but today it's a really really big expense.

there's one big advantage to have hackintoshes: disable that speedstep crap that randomly bogs the system down. But yeah, I wouldn't use it on a pro situation.

Do it if you need.

@Michele: look at HP xw8400 way (awesome build quality, solid like a tank (mine weigh 22kgs, mac intel processor as mac pro...etc) for your hackintosh.

You know what they say about "once you go black"? Replace "black" with "Mac" and finally it's true. ;)

^ This sold me.

Ive been reading rumors of price drops and possible improvements in the first half of next year. So I'll probably just be saving my money till then, but I'm definitely going to switch to Mac next year.

If the prices actually did drop then that'd be amazing. It's hard affording these things in your early 20's with shit income.

^ This sold me.

Ive been reading rumors of price drops and possible improvements in the first half of next year. So I'll probably just be saving my money till then, but I'm definitely going to switch to Mac next year.

If the prices actually did drop then that'd be amazing. It's hard affording these things in your early 20's with shit income.

Apple hardly ever drops their prices.. but keep an eye on Apple refurbs. You can save quite a bit of money, they always put all the old models in there when they are about to come out with a new model.

I got a $2000 MBP for $1300. My Mac Pro was still close to 3 grand though.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac?mco=OTY2ODY3Nw