New Mac. Need some guidance

jeid

Terribad
Mar 9, 2009
Scotland
Hello,

I know the whole Mac debate has been done to death, but I'm not looking for debate. Just some guidance.

I've been fighting in my head between getting a Mac Pro and a 27" iMac. I spend a lot of time writing/editing/recording on my Macbook just now but it doesn't cope well with lots of plug ins and big sessions. All of my recording work goes directly onto my external firewire drive.

Obviously the Mac Pro is the better machine, but it's also a fuckload more expensive. (Almost £1k!) but has a load more expansion options. I'm not sure how much I'd take advantage of that mind you, but y'know, options are good.

The 27" iMac (i7 cpu) is a good bit cheaper for what is a still a really good machine. I'm just wondering how well it'll stand the test of time and how good it'll be for audio editing etc? I'm also planning on getting my finger out of my ass and learning more about graphics so I can get into Photoshop and what not. Video editing might also be something I'll look at in the future.

Fuck, I make no real sense. I'm blabbing!

So, Mac Pro or iMac? Really, is the Mac Pro worth the extra money or will the iMac do me just as well and last me a few years? If I get three years out of it, I'll be super happy with that :)

an i7 imac is gonna last a long time you wont run short of CPU power, and it's all in one, etc.

the mac pro is a beast, but if you wanna get one.. i'd hold out for a while, it wont be too long before the 6/12 core pros are released, intel have had their new xeons out for long enough.

thanks,