Mac Pro or iMac?

For what it's worth, I just got the lowest priced i3 iMac (getting some motu stuff, needed a new mac to run it). Was going to get a mac pro, but decided I'd wait until I get PT HD to get that.

It runs fine with Multiple instances of T-Racks, Ozone 4, Airverb, Alloy, VSTs, other plug ins and 32 tracks. Going to max out the ram in a couple of months, but it has no problems as a stock machine right now. Haven't tried virtual instruments on it yet though.

Went through this a few months back . Wanted a mac pro for the expandability and architecture etc but settled for an 27" Imac Quad . It was impressive for an Imac but they run hot and Apple care is a must have with it . I returned it as soon as a nice Mac Pro quad refurb showed up on the apple site . I love it . Installed a hard drive for samples and one for song files so i have a total of 3 drives with room for another . upgraded a couple gigs of memory . And what really made it special was the pcie slots . I got a good deal on some UAD cards and plugs from a dude who moved his production to an Imac ironically . UAD is the bomb ! Loven' this computer . It's a 2.66 ghz and can handle a load . plus the nice heat sink and all the space in the bay help with heat dispersal . Got a 23" an affordable Acer monitor and it looks great to .

Yeah the quad core will be no slouch, although I'm amazed at the performance of the i7. Projects I had running at 80% on my Q6600 machine run at 35-40% on the i7, and in lower buffer settings.

Tracking on this screen is the shit. It's not even a matter of "this is a huge screen," anymore, but one of "this is how computing should always be." Definitely fits with my workflow perfectly.

that 27'' screen is pretty sweet !

Hey.

I was in the same position, the old Macpro was not up to standards anymore.
So i was just about to decide which mac to buy, when i discovered the hackintosh concept.

After a few weeks of research, i build myself an i7 with 6 gb of ram, running Logic 9 64 bit.
And it is stable as a rock, and so far i havent had a single problem.

Price, just around $ 1.000.-

Anyway, not to sure wether this topic is taboo or not, so i wont write further.
But i will be happy to answer any question and help in any way i can.

Thanks

Nicolai

This sounds interesting.. Which interface are you using? I've always worried that my apogee might choke if chose to go down the hackintosh path but I guess it could work..

I have the same interface, do you love it as much as I do?

back to topic:
what would I need to do if I bought all these parts and build it together?
How would I install snow leopard on it?

do you have any problems with software or plugins?
what about software updates?

cheers

Or, hackintosh. There are guides to build Mac Pro spec comps out there, for cheaper, and upgradable.

The con is it takes more work than just buying an Apple.