27" iMac / Magic Mouse.

My iMac arrived today, and holy balls of Christ this thing is awesome. I feel like an elitist Apple-fanboy already! The Magic Mouse feels great so far, too.

Do you do much proper tracking, like full drum kits and stuff? I'm considering one of these strongly for my permanent studio machine so I can relegate te MacBook Pro to mobile editing/mixing duties... If you are tracking 8+ channels at a time let me know how you get on with PT8 and tracking to a FireWire drive daisychained through your interface. Logic gave me a ton of grief doing that but no problems with Pro Tools so far. If the fact that I have to daisy chain and use an external drive doesn't actually cause any limitations then I will most likely grab one instead of dropping the coin on a Mac Pro. As far as audio goes, the only real benefit to the Mac Pro is expandibility so paying an extra $1500 just for that is annoying. These new iMacs are way more than powerful enough for even the most intense ITB audio work, unless you are running crazy crazy amounts of hungry VIs.

Do you do much proper tracking, like full drum kits and stuff? I'm considering one of these strongly for my permanent studio machine so I can relegate te MacBook Pro to mobile editing/mixing duties... If you are tracking 8+ channels at a time let me know how you get on with PT8 and tracking to a FireWire drive daisychained through your interface. Logic gave me a ton of grief doing that but no problems with Pro Tools so far. If the fact that I have to daisy chain and use an external drive doesn't actually cause any limitations then I will most likely grab one instead of dropping the coin on a Mac Pro. As far as audio goes, the only real benefit to the Mac Pro is expandibility so paying an extra $1500 just for that is annoying. These new iMacs are way more than powerful enough for even the most intense ITB audio work, unless you are running crazy crazy amounts of hungry VIs.

Sorry bro, but I don't track drums with this setup ATM :/ There's an HD2 system at my school (not to mention proper tracking rooms) at my school, so this setup is pretty much for mixing only. I'm really curious to find out how the daisy-chaining works on one of these, too!

I always record a full drumkit (14 in's, 12 mics and 2 triggers) with no problems at all and I use a macbook pro and a profire 2626 (+ focusrite octopre LE via adat)