27" iMac / Magic Mouse.

Macbook Pros have had firewire for years...

Right, I should clarify what I meant. Apple removed Firewire from the unibody aluminum MacBook 13". Then, they replaced the MacBook 13" with the MacBook Pro 13", which brought Firewire back (essentially the same machine otherwise), and finally they've updated the entry level MacBook line with unibody plastic enclosures and no Firewire.

The entry level MacBooks are the only series in Apple's lineup that lack Firewire at this point. The last run of plastic body entry-level MacBooks had Firewire.

Might get it either way. I want a good and preferably white mouse, and haven't come across any that would actually be good. Mighty Mouse is okay, but I'm going to sell it soon for this thing. Sooner or later, the trackball will be full of shit and won't work anymore. At least the Magic Mouse won't have that problem.

Actually, I could also just get some higher-end Logitech. Won't fit nicely next to my Apple keyboard and MacBook, but I'm really not into the trade-white-color-for-functionality thing.

Right, I should clarify what I meant. Apple removed Firewire from the unibody aluminum MacBook 13". Then, they replaced the MacBook 13" with the MacBook Pro 13", which brought Firewire back (essentially the same machine otherwise), and finally they've updated the entry level MacBook line with unibody plastic enclosures and no Firewire.

The entry level MacBooks are the only series in Apple's lineup that lack Firewire at this point. The last run of plastic body entry-level MacBooks had Firewire.

Up until a few days ago there was a White Macbook, unibody 13" Macbook (looks the same as the Pro but no FW), and 13-17" unibody Macbook Pros.

My local Apple store doesn't any of the new stuff yet.

Mighty Mouse is okay, but I'm going to sell it soon for this thing. Sooner or later, the trackball will be full of shit and won't work anymore. At least the Magic Mouse won't have that problem.

Actually, I could also just get some higher-end Logitech. Won't fit nicely next to my Apple keyboard and MacBook, but I'm really not into the trade-white-color-for-functionality thing.

Turn your mouse upside down, roll it in a 8 shape on the ball.

I thought it was all touch sensitive, as in NO moving parts, but there are still buttons in it. I wear out mouse buttons way too quickly with pro tools editing.

I'm going to just have to make my own touch sensitive controls. Two small metal pieces that you touch at once and your finger completes the circuit. Really simple and wont wear out.

Damn, since the MacPro deal went to shit, I'm really gassing for an i5 27" iMac. The display itself is worth quite a lot, so the price doesn't actually sound half bad!
Yeah, i had the same idea, but...
- only 1 Firewire port
- just one harddisk
- no PCI-E card-slots
- only 2 RAM slots (?)

But compared to the iMac prices, the Mac Pro is ridiculously expensive (you even gotta pay +18$ for the magic mouse :lol: )
By now i both don't need and can't afford a new mac anyways.

- only 1 Firewire port
- just one harddisk
- no PCI-E card-slots
- only 2 RAM slots (?)

But compared to the iMac prices, the Mac Pro is ridiculously expensive (you even gotta pay +18$ for the magic mouse :lol: )
By now i both don't need and can't afford a new mac anyways.

- Firewire daisychains
- External HD's
- True, it's a bummer :/
- Four slots, max. 16Gb total. Should be plenty :)

im tempted to get a magic mouse.... see what its like for pro tools.
or is that being too much of a guinea pig...? can you use it without snow leopard? anyone know? i aint upgrading to that for a LONG time.

Tried Magic Mouse a bit at a local store, and it seemed okay. It's missing the buttons I've found useful in Mighty Mouse, but the scrolling works well and it didn't seem to have too bad ergonomics. It was fun that I could scroll from anywhere on the mouse's upper body, could even be useful (though I'm not sure how, yet)

- Firewire daisychains
- External HD's
- True, it's a bummer :/
- Four slots, max. 16Gb total. Should be plenty :)
- I don't know if the firewire port is strong enough for an interface and then harddisks. :ill:
(but you don't need to run and access all your external HDs while recording, i guess :p )
- External HDs? Do not like. At least not for a backup drive. And besides they're fucking slow. Plus i love the idea of being able to upgrade to a RAID system (i know it's possible on extern HDs also but it's even more expensive)
- :cry:
- oops, my fault. 4 slots are nice and equal to the mac pro slots.
- 1 usb-slot less than on the mac pro ;)
EDIT: omg, i forgot the epic fail of the whole thing: the glossy display. It's really annoying. Looks great though. :D

Anyways, by the time i'll be able to afford the new mac, there will be a new imac and mac pro, and everything will be different again :lol:

Fuck external drives, I am forced to use one with my MacBook Pro and at least once every 30 minutes Logic will stop in the middle of a take with a "Disk too slow" error. Such a fucking pain in the ass. It's a Glyph drive too, running via Firewire but sharing the damn bus with my interface.

Definitely. I have my Lacie and my profire 2626 chain connected (fw400) but the hard disk need more speed. I'm thinking to buy an eSata express card for my Macbook pro.
iMac are cool, but in a studio you need expansion capabilities. A macbook pro has more expansion options (express card give you more expansion than an iMac) and you can carry it with you.
For a standalone work, Mac pro or Powermac.

@AdamWathan and ::XeS::
That's exactly what i was worrying about :(

@Adam:
Wanna swap? (macbook pro 15", late 08, first unibody) ;)
Definetly ghey that only the 17" model has the ExpressCard slot now. The rest is epic win, though.
I hope you bought the non-glossy-display version? :D

Fuck external drives, I am forced to use one with my MacBook Pro and at least once every 30 minutes Logic will stop in the middle of a take with a "Disk too slow" error. Such a fucking pain in the ass. It's a Glyph drive too, running via Firewire but sharing the damn bus with my interface.

you might want to make sure Time Machine isn't running.
Also disable spotlight indexing on your recording drive.

How do I do these two things? I am still a Mac n00b, it took me 20 minutes to try and resize a photo earlier tonight and I still don't know how to do it properly with the software that came with the computer.
For deactivating Time Machine:
click system preferences -> time machine. And turn the big switch off :loco:

and the photo thing: open the picture, click "tools", click "adjust size" then either fill in the wanted resolution or click on "fin into" and select one of those.

if you want to cut out a part of a picture, just drag the part with your mouse, then "command -> C", then click on "file" and "new from clipboard".

turn off spotlight (didn't try that): http://osxdaily.com/2009/09/20/disable-spotlight-in-mac-os-x-10-6-snow-leopard/